What to get with cisco certs?

dewaldthdewaldth Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
hiya,

i'm in the process of doing my ccnp, and i've been wondering what certifications would best compliment ccnp? with this i mean, what would make me more attractive to a potential employer?

i would really appreciate any input those in the know could give me.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That depends on the potential employer. Every employer wants certain qualifications. It would be easier to learn what you like and then find employers looking for those skills.

That being said, you couldn't go wrong with some MS certs to broaden your knowledge.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey networker,

That borders on heresy! icon_lol.gif Just kidding I love Microsoft too. icon_wink.gif Well maybe not love. :)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

MS is not for me, but for someone wanting to broaden there knowledge beyond Cisco (not sure why they would icon_lol.gif ) MS is the leader on the OS side so you might as well learn it.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you want to venture on the dark side. icon_lol.gif
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Just don't take MS's word when it comes to the networking side of the house. Server\user management is quite useful though
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    CCNP and the MCSE just go hand and hand.

But of course now days a CCNP in expected to know voice, data and wireless. So you are not done with your Cisco yet.
    -Daniel
  • dewaldthdewaldth Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thank you kindly gentlemen.

i thought MS cert you received automatically if you failed a cisco exam? icon_wink.gif
    is red hat still sought after, or is it more of a niche qualification?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote:

They do?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Daniel333 wrote:

But of course now days a CCNP in expected to know voice, data and wireless. So you are not done with your Cisco yet.

They do, although there were not many of them about who were 'dual' when I had both in 2001 :)

I think getting a taste of both services (microsoft for example) and networks (cisco for example) is a good thing.
  • oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    Daniel333 wrote:

Maybe in a smaller company but in most large environments you server and networking people are two different groups. I'm not saying it doesn't hurt to know both, but a jack of all trades is a master of less of them.
    I used to run the internet.