Options

The 2008 CertMag Salary Survey Is Open

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,034 Admin
You've read about salary surveys, now participate in one as a certified IT professional: http://network.certmag.com/forum/topic/show?id=2210502%3ATopic%3A663

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes! Time to bring down the average for MCSE!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    dynamik wrote:
    Yes! Time to bring down the average for MCSE!

icon_lol.gif

I have never done one of these in the past. I guess its time to stop hating these and actually contribute something. I will probably be one of the people bringing up the average salary of someone with just a CCNA which is what I don't like about these to begin with. Until they start tracking experience levels also these things will be too broad to be worth anything.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I just took the survey and it asked a lot more questions than I expected.

I was quite surprised by the the question that asked what material you found most helpful on your last exam and one of the options was brain **** from a website.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I stopped the survey it was sooo long, I might continue tonite :P
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    I completed the survey.
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Only took 5 minutes to do.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Site down for maintenance so I can't help bring down the MCSE salary as well. icon_sad.gif
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Does anyone know what the minimum score is to pass? If you have any braindumps for this link please PM me icon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gificon_exclaim.gif
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Is it just me or did they totally ignore the new certifications from Microsoft?
    -Daniel
  • Options
    I don't think much of these salary surveys. A person that makes $100K/year and happens to have an entry-level cert (A+ or CCNA) will really play Hell with the averages. I also don't think it's valid unless the geographical location of where you are employed is part of the questions.

And yes, there were none of the newer MS certs listed.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    I don't think much of these salary surveys. A person that makes $100K/year and happens to have an entry-level cert (A+ or CCNA) will really play Hell with the averages. I also don't think it's valid unless the geographical location of where you are employed is part of the questions.

+1 last year I destroyed the certified vs. non-certified professionals salary/certs comparrison. This year I helped the certified bunch. That combined with the fact I upped my rates at the begining of the year by 25% implies that I got a raise (which I guess I did, but it was self-given and the first time in over 3 years I've touched them) seems to imply that the certs helped with that - when in fact they had nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    JDMurray wrote:

Are benefits averaged in on these things typically? If so, you could say that I make about 50% more than I do, since my jobs pays all my benefits.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I'm convinced those things are always high because the advertisements for the sites are to "gain such-and-such degree in X months and make lots more money!"

Nobody's gonna click on those ads if you tell them they already make enough money :)
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    JDMurray wrote:

MCTS and MCITP were listed.
  • Options
    Finally worked for me so I did my part for making the MCSE look worthless. :D
  • Options
    astorrs wrote:
    +1 last year I destroyed the certified vs. non-certified professionals salary/certs comparrison. This year I helped the certified bunch. That combined with the fact I upped my rates at the begining of the year by 25% implies that I got a raise (which I guess I did, but it was self-given and the first time in over 3 years I've touched them) seems to imply that the certs helped with that - when in fact they had nothing to do with it.
    I have a 25% increase over last year too, but it's because I finished my degree and not because of any certs that I have. On the survey, there was no way to indicate the effects of "education versus certification" on salary.
    Are benefits averaged in on these things typically? If so, you could say that I make about 50% more than I do, since my jobs pays all my benefits.
    I think it's pure salary and bonuses. That's what I remember from the survey.
    darkerosxx wrote:
    JDMurray wrote:

MCTS and MCITP were listed.
    No, the MCA. The new new MS cert. MCTS and MCITP have been around for a while now.
  • Options
    The survey did ask me what benefits I get so it may be factored.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I thought the MCA was out before the MCTS and the MCITP. Maybe I just heard about it first. The Masters-level is the newest one. I don't think it really matters though. Only a very few number of people will be Architects or Masters anyway.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Yeah, MCA was out before MCTS/ITP. I haven't seen an exact number, but from MS's site, there are at least 160 MCA's.
  • Options
    cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    They also letf out a bunch of SANS certifications!!!
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • Options
    undomiel wrote:
    The survey did ask me what benefits I get so it may be factored.
    There were no quantified questions indicating how much extra income is derived from benefits, just what benefits packages you have.
  • Options
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Yeah, considering how many SAP certs they listed, it seems odd that only 12 SANS certs made the list.

And I just noticed that the Microsoft Certified Architect is listed, but there's no "(MCA)" after it.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    I did the survey. I agree that it can get a little inaccurate. According to this survey, I got my CCNP and doubled my salary. When in reality, I doubled my salary because I moved to a richer economy, and got a job that only required CCNA.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yay, I filled it. Although its skewed because of my current job situation... icon_confused.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    snadam wrote:
    yay, I filled it. Although its skewed because of my current job situation... icon_confused.gif

I think I skewed it... MCSE with 8 years experience making 42K.... I'm still waiting to hear back on the raise I asked for though.
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    JDMurray wrote:
    cbigbrick wrote:
    Yeah, considering how many SAP certs they listed, it seems odd that only 12 SANS certs made the list.

No kidding - was SAP sponsoring the survey? I didn't even know they had that many certifications.