Options

"Certification at Entry Level"

networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
http://www.certmag.com/read.php?in=3515

Pretty good read. The part I found to be most true:
“The days of a newcomer in the field taking a single test and vaulting to the top of the heap are over,” Clark said. “DOD 8570 has it right: Certifications should map directly to real experience, knowledge and time on the job. Whether you’re in management or a frontline technician, a progression through the ranks is not only desired but should be mandatory. You wouldn’t want a first-year medical student working on you. Can you imagine getting to the operating table and being told, ‘I have only six months experience and I’ve never actually operated, but I did pass a tough exam last week’?”
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.

Comments

• Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    http://www.certmag.com/read.php?in=3515

Pretty good read. The part I found to be most true:
    “The days of a newcomer in the field taking a single test and vaulting to the top of the heap are over,” Clark said. “DOD 8570 has it right: Certifications should map directly to real experience, knowledge and time on the job. Whether you’re in management or a frontline technician, a progression through the ranks is not only desired but should be mandatory. You wouldn’t want a first-year medical student working on you. Can you imagine getting to the operating table and being told, ‘I have only six months experience and I’ve never actually operated, but I did pass a tough exam last week’?”

I agree 100%

I think the more a person can prove themselves overtime and prove they can handle certain situations, not just with technology, but with people as well will reinforce whether or not management gives them a push or holds them back
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    There's so many people in the field that certifications have turned into a learning tool rather than a validation of experience. Even entry level positions quite often want certifications.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm one of them, who uses certification as a learning tool, it's very hard to break in on a new field, specially if your a new comer, my major is software programming and MCSE was nowhere on my curriculum.