Options

ccna-ccsp-ccie need help

GarudaMinGarudaMin Member Posts: 204
I studied for ccna about 2 years ago, but never managed to take the test. Of course my books are now obsolete. I am now trying to do ccna, then ccsp and ccie:security path, it will be a long process. The question I have are:
1. Do I need to buy new ccna book (Odom's 3rd edition) due to new exam or my intro/icnd book from cisco press (Odom's 2nd edition) still good enough to make me pass?
2. Starting from ccsp to ccie, should I be getting used equipment from ebay or rent a lab?
3. If I do my own lab, do I follow cisco's lab equipment and ios list? Do I need that much equipment or can I go by with minimum list? I am not that rich and thus need advice.

Cisco 2600 Series Routers
Cisco 3600 Series Routers
Cisco 3700 Series Routers
Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches
Cisco PIX 500 Series Security Appliances
Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrators
Cisco IPS Series 4200 intrusion prevention system sensors
Cisco Secure Access Control Server for Windows Certificate Authority Support
Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances

The VPN Concentrator can be configured using CLI (Command Line Interface) or a GUI web interface. The IDS sensors can be configured using CLI and managed through the IDS Device Manager.

Cisco IOS Software Version 12.2T Enterprise/IPSec/FW/IDS feature set is used on all routers
Cisco PIX Security Appliance OS Software Version 7.x
Cisco Intrusion Detection System Release 5.x
Cisco VPN Client Software for Windows, Release 4.8.x
VPN 3000 Series Concentrator OS, Release 4.7.x
Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances OS Software Version 7.x
Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches run Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SEE
Cisco Secure ACS for Windows version 4.x

I hope I posted in right forum and looking forward to your kind advices. Thank you.
Min

Comments

• Options
    mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
    By the time you actually get around to taking the CCIE Security Lab, the PIX and VPN3000 will probably not be on the lab any more, I look for these two devices to be removed within the next two or three years as they are EOL/EOS
    There is no place like 127.0.0.1
  • Options
    cool, ty for quick reply.
    so for ccna, what should i get, I checked the stickies, they are from years ago so I will take it that they are outdated.
    and about book, do i need new book or 2nd edition still covers most of them, except for wireless and void?
  • Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    definitely get the new book
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    will do
    and for equipment, just go with sim or get actual hardware? if actual hardware, suggestions on how many and which one?
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If you plan on going all the way to CCIE you might as well start investing in equipment now. Its better to buy little by little rather than going out of pocket a few grand at one time for you CCIE home lab.

For the CCNA you should be able to get by with about three routers (at least one that supports SDM like a 2600xm and one with a few serial ports for frame-relay) and three switches (2950s or like model).
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    So far I have 2 2610XMs with 1 WIC 1T each and 2 2950's for my CCNA studies. I would definitely go with real equipment...it is so much fun and you can learn the very little things like upgrading an IOS using TFTP, troubleshooting a "not-so-perfect" TFTP IOS transfer, upgrading and installing hardware on the routers, troubleshooting why your newly copied IOS won't boot after reloading your switch (multiple IOS's and config), etc.

Once I begin getting deep into the labs, I may need to pick up some more equipment, but for now, what I have is sufficient. I have to get thorugh the books first though :) .

Good luck and I look forward to watching your road to CCIE!!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    GarudaMin wrote:
    Cisco 2600 Series Routers
    Cisco 3600 Series Routers
    Cisco 3700 Series Routers
    Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches
    Cisco PIX 500 Series Security Appliances
    Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrators
    Cisco IPS Series 4200 intrusion prevention system sensors
    Cisco Secure Access Control Server for Windows Certificate Authority Support
    Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances
    Cisco IOS Software Version 12.2T Enterprise/IPSec/FW/IDS feature set is used on all routers
    Cisco PIX Security Appliance OS Software Version 7.x
    Cisco Intrusion Detection System Release 5.x
    Cisco VPN Client Software for Windows, Release 4.8.x
    VPN 3000 Series Concentrator OS, Release 4.7.x
    Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances OS Software Version 7.x
    Cisco Catalyst 3550 Series Switches run Cisco IOS Software Release 12.2SEE
    Cisco Secure ACS for Windows version 4.x

Skip the PIX and VPN3000. An ASA 5505 will be fine. Get XM's if you buy 2600's. IDS is now on V6 isnt it? The V5 IDS boxes are cheap on ebay. 3550 is a L3 switch, so maybe to save money get a couple of 2950's and 1 3550? Cisco ACS server for Windows has a 90-day trial that is popular.
  • Options
    tyvm, i will start ebaying lol
  • Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    use GNS3 and save money in some of the routers you can add switch modules so you can also do any switch related lab
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    ilcram19-2 wrote:
    use GNS3 and save money in some of the routers you can add switch modules so you can also do any switch related lab

Dynamips is great for study, but for people starting their way up the track should really get their hands on some real equipment. The process of getting an actual box up and running (correct IOS, modules, cables etc) is something you see a lot of people can't do because all their learning was done on a simulator. I have seen some people with certifications who don't even know were to plug in their console cable (they have it in the ethernet port)!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.