Options

All those "system" Cds

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
What do you guys do with all the damn system cd's you get when you buy new name brand machines. I have a TON of D3LL disc and I can't keep them all straight. Anyone here doing software configuration?
Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If they're all the same, I keep one or two and chuck the others. Aside from system-specific OS repair discs, you can download all the drivers (which are usually newer anyway), utilities, etc., so I don't worry about them much.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    For the Dell disks I tend to just keep the latest ones. If you have Gold (or better) support for them you are entitled to quarterly updates (the latest CD's will be mailed to you every 4 months), just ask your account manager to start sending them. Once I was setup for that I just bin all the ones that come with the servers.
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Silentsoul wrote:
    What do you guys do with all the damn system cd's you get when you buy new name brand machines. I have a TON of D3LL disc and I can't keep them all straight. Anyone here doing software configuration?
    Thanks

Depending on your Server or Systems, you can try the CD clips that stick and stick them to the inside of the chassis. This way you'll have them handy when you need to service the unit. If you cannot risk the media falling into the enduser's hands then write the Service Tag code on the envelope.

Or....
    simply do as the others suggested.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I use them for coasters. (And no, not for my martini glass.) Ever since AOL stopped sending me CDs, I had to figure something out.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Maybe keep one of each system, but primarily use the network share to keep drivers. I don't use the other crap software they put on those cd's usually.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:
    I use them for coasters. (And no, not for my martini glass.) Ever since AOL stopped sending me CDs, I had to figure something out.

At home, I use a HP Netserver disk as a coffee coaster that's served me well practically all the way from 1999. Environmentally friendly FTW.

I need to get out more
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Frisbee! To the trash, but they are so much fun to launch across the office at people. :D