Options

Question

RustedPCRustedPC Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I have a few questions I would like to ask this IT area. I'm in a dilemna. I'm 26 and looking to get into IT. I don't have any certs or a degree but I don't wanna continue doing the other work which was in retail and I got no enjoyment in it. I've been interested in computers for a long time but never attended any training in them. I figure now is the time to do it as I'm not getting anywhere in my old job. My question is would it be better for me to start with the A+ and go from there or go back and get a degree? I would rather get my foot in the door and start working somewhere in the industry as I have read that experience is also a HUGE part of it and I currently don't really have any aside from working in call centres trying to sell things. So I was wondering should I get a book and study for the exam, take a course and write the exam which would prob cost some coin or just go get a degree. I figured I could write the A+ test, and find a job. After I aquired said job, I thought I could learn the next best step for education. I see on the net and on other forums some people work and write certs and work towards a degree part time online. Anyways, sorry for a long first post. Any info would be appreiciated.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Work on your entry level certs like A+, like you figured.

If you can afford it, try to get some formal education or training like a community college course or a 2-year degree program just to get started. The ones where I live have standalone classes on computer repair/A+/intro to networking, and also degree programs. Later on, if you want to transfer it in to a 4 year degree, that's possible too.

You could leverage your call center and retail experience to your advantage here - you could get your first IT gig working in a call center or in a retail store like firedog or geeksquad.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    I suggest polish yourself with the MCP certs then cisco certs.

Welcome to the forum. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    RustedPCRustedPC Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, thanks alot. I think I'll shoot for the A+ and look around for a few local courses. Thanks for the welcome too. :)
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Even though you don't have your A+ yet, don't wait to earn it to start applying. Put your transferable skills on your resume as well as your intentions to getting the A+. You may get some interviews and even if they are pretty technical and you don't know enough yet because you are still studying it will be good experience.

Many people here are more than happy to critique your resume as well so feel free to post it if you are unsure. You are about to embark on an exciting journey and kudos for having the courage to start.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    remyforbes777remyforbes777 Member Posts: 499
    Don't know if you could do both, but I would suggest college and the A+.
  • Options
    sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    A+ most definately. If you can swing it, scrounge up an old rig that is a little beefier than XP requires to install and buy the MS self paced study guide (it comes with a trial version of XP with service pack 2) and play around with installing it and using it....to get a feel for it and how it works. I'd wait to do that until you've completed A+ though.