Options

need help please

dongargon4dongargon4 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started my ccna and got a 2501 router but my problem is to connect to it properly. i made the roll over cable but cant figure out how to setup the DB9 connector pinout , so please anyone .

Comments

• Options
    breakerbreaker Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    dongargon4dongargon4 Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much breaker...............you are a life saver.
  • Options
    PlazmaPlazma Member Posts: 503
    Oh dude ... Right Click > Save Picture As...

i have been looking for something like this for a while.. I found a few guides on the internet and they have you hacking/soldering wires together.. needless to say i couldn't get that way to work.
    CCIE - COMPLETED!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Meh. Just buy a console cable or find somebody that has lots of Cisco gear at work/home. I could make them myself but its just easier to get the premade Cisco ones. Nice blue/cyan colour as well so you can spot it a mile off ;)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We just recycled 3600 pounds (yes, 1.75 tons) of console cables and have 2 more pallets to send over.

Anyone need a console cable?
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    How many console cables per pound?

You can get like $1 for each of those on eBay...

"Lot of 72000" icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    dtlokee wrote:
    We just recycled 3600 pounds (yes, 1.75 tons) of console cables and have 2 more pallets to send over.

Anyone need a console cable?

Your kidding right?

I like the blue flat ones with RJ45 at each end for my Xyplex term server. Man I used to root all over the server room to find enough of those for my home rack. I have enough now, including one black one and some I had to make *grumble* :)
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    not kidding, 7 pallets worth from the installation of roughly 22,000 access points 7500 switches and 1500 routers.

I thought about ebay but too much trouble for $1
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Yeah last time we did an upgrade (not nearly as large as dt's) we had a million of those also. I'm not quite sure what was done with them, but I snagged quite a few for my self. I keep one on me (in my computer bag not pocket) at all times and a few around the house to be safe.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    same here have loads lying around.... i like networker carry one with me at all times....

tbh tho IRL i tend to get in the practice of leaving the console cable in situ... makes it a lot easier to access should i need to....
    some of the places ive come across in my current role where the kit is installed makes it damn hard to try n plug one in when needed....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I have seen a lot of places that just leave them dangling out the back of the equipment. That's not a very good security practice IMO. Anyone trying to break in and console into your stuff would probably bring one anyway, but no point in making it easier for them!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    if someone is gonna go to the trouble to physically break into the comms room good luck to them.....

somehow i think they'll go for the servers before the routers n switches tho.... given that most of them are linked to kvm switches......
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    if someone is gonna go to the trouble to physically break into the comms room good luck to them.....

somehow i think they'll go for the servers before the routers n switches tho.... given that most of them are linked to kvm switches......
    Routers and switches have a high resale value and tend to be lighter/smaller than a server. Some places have been broken into and just had the line cards stolen.
  • Options
    Turgon wrote:
    I like the blue flat ones with RJ45 at each end for my Xyplex term server. Man I used to root all over the server room to find enough of those for my home rack. I have enough now, including one black one and some I had to make *grumble* :)
    Yup. The old style cable was much better than the newer molded ones with the DB9.
  • Options
    dtlokee wrote:
    not kidding, 7 pallets worth from the installation of roughly 22,000 access points 7500 switches and 1500 routers.

I thought about ebay but too much trouble for $1
    Sell them back to Cisco :D
  • Options
    tiersten wrote:
    Routers and switches have a high resale value and tend to be lighter/smaller than a server. Some places have been broken into and just had the line cards stolen.

very true... was thinking along the lines of gaining access to the network\data rather than theft...

again ok if the cable is plugged in there fair enough i can see it being marginally more attractive....

but given that i tend to work in larger companies that have 24/7 security, large secure comms rooms etc again good luck to them lol....

i still think irl its a valid action and worth the slim risks involved..... isnt that what lies at the core of security ??? secure v usuablility ? and working out the risks involved...

if i was working for smaller companies id maybe not do it, but given i dont im aware of the time it saves and makes my life easier ill carry on...
  • Options
    very true... was thinking along the lines of gaining access to the network\data rather than theft...
    Ah I see. I still think there is more risk of somebody coming in and stealing actual hardware than data though :)
    i still think irl its a valid action and worth the slim risks involved..... isnt that what lies at the core of security ??? secure v usuablility ? and working out the risks involved...
    If you're that concerned about leaving a console cable plugged in then you should disconnect all the servers from their KVMs as well. Besides, you do have a password set on the routers don't you? ;)