Options

Going for MCSA

buttonsbuttons Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I just signed up for my first exam towards an MCSA. I am told the 70-620 will fulfill the operating system requirement while also giving me credit towards a MCITP for down the road.

For electives I already have the CompTIA A+, i was thinking Server + to fulfill my elective. Do you guys think I should do server, security or network +? Which of them three would overlap with 290/291

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do Security+ since that will count for your MCSE as well. The other combinations will only count towards your MCSA.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Security+ would count towards the MCSE while the A+/N+ is only towards MCSA. I highly recommend the Security+ because it really helps out with the 291 and up exams I believe plus gives you a lot of basics that every good administrator should know.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Oh thanks, I did not know that. the 70-620 does fulfill the operating syste role, or should i switch it for 70-270?
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Stick with the 620 unless you plan to take on a role that requires a lot of XP skills. The reason? The 620 also applies to the Server 2008 MCITP Enterprise Admin path which you may want to do in time.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    bertieb wrote:
    Stick with the 620 unless you plan to take on a role that requires a lot of XP skills. The reason? The 620 also applies to the Server 2008 MCITP Enterprise Admin path which you may want to do in time.

That exactly what i was planning so ill stick with it. Thanks for all the tips.
  • Options
    snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good info! Thanks!
  • Options
    Last question: What order should I take the exams in? Im taking 70-620 next saturday, then i was planning on Security + (however id rather take microsoft exams because of the free voucher and they are cheaper to purchase)

Should i do security + then 70-291, then 70-290? or should I do 70-290, then 70-291 then security + ?

I do plan to work towards the MCSE but after i get the MCSA ill probably take a break because I work full time AND im trying to finish my degree. I think by the time i get MCSA ill be burnt out from studying if not before then...
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Depends upon your experience. I went security+ -> 270 -> 290 -> 291 but that was just because I wanted the expensive exam out of the way first. I'd recommend getting the 290 out of the way before the 291 though as that way you'll get some good familiarity with 2003. I'd go for Security+ before 291 because it will help make some parts of the 291 easier for you. Of course that could go both ways.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    ddoudddoud Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Since I am already signed up for 270(2nd time) tomorrow. After reading these posts, I am planning on doing it this way.

270 - SYO-101 - 290 - 291 - 293 - 294 - 298 - 299 = MCSA/MCSE+Security

I plan on being done by the end of the year. But if not than that's ok to. Just be close.

Maybe even go for messaging 284 + 285. After I get the above done first.

Rest sleeping.gif and then do my upgrade to the 2008 certs.

I may even try the Cisco stuff next year after I get all this crap out of the way first.

Man I sure hope I can get paid after I do all of this. That's a lot of cash to pay out. icon_eek.gif

Good thing that I get reimbursed for this stuff.

Thanks for the info guys.
    Darren
    Phil 4:13