Options

Cable broadband

kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
Hi

Was hoping someone could give a bit of advice on which cisco router to use with a cable broadband connection (virgin media 20mb) please?

I have been looking at the 851 but been told thats its ADSL and not cable also the 877 which is ADSL. Just wondering if anyone has either on a cable connection?

Im working on the CCNA want to get one to use instead of a vigor 2910 think be good practice to setup.

Sorry for the guys in USA who might not no Virgin Media they are a cable broadband ISP here in the UK.

Thanks
LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    None of them will let you plug the Virgin broadband cable wire directly into it. You need a cable modem which gives you ethernet still.

Model comparison here. I don't believe the DOCSIS one will work in the UK...
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    you could always leave the vigor in place and put a cisco device behind that and practice your NAT\PAT skills too.....
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    dead_p00ldead_p00l Member Posts: 136
    If you want to use a Cisco cable modem look into the uBR series. I dont know if they're still in production or not but they shouldnt be too hard to find. Here is a link to the product literature on Cisco's site. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2221/products_data_sheet09186a008008877d.html
    This is our world now... the world of the electron and the switch, the
    beauty of the baud.
  • Options
    dead_p00l wrote:
    If you want to use a Cisco cable modem look into the uBR series. I dont know if they're still in production or not but they shouldnt be too hard to find. Here is a link to the product literature on Cisco's site. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/cable/ps2221/products_data_sheet09186a008008877d.html
    The issues is that all the cable modems from Cisco only do regular DOCSIS and not the European variant. I've never seen a Cisco router that supported EuroDOCSIS.
  • Options
    you could always leave the vigor in place and put a cisco device behind that and practice your NAT\PAT skills too.....
    I just looked it up and the Vigor looks like a regular router. The WAN connection is a ethernet port.
  • Options
    kevin31kevin31 Member Posts: 154
    Sorry guys yeah I have cable modem so wont need a modem.

My Virgin modem currently plugs into Vigor which handles my firewall, DHCP and NAT stuff. So was hoping just to replace the Vigor 2910 with a cisco 851 but still not sure which is the correct one?

thanks
    LAB - 4 X 2651XM's 1 X 2620 3 X 2950 1 X 2509 AS 1 X 3550
  • Options
    kevin31 wrote:
    My Virgin modem currently plugs into Vigor which handles my firewall, DHCP and NAT stuff. So was hoping just to replace the Vigor 2910 with a cisco 851 but still not sure which is the correct one?
    Any of the ones on the page I linked up above that has "10/100 Mbps Fast Ethernet" in the WAN Interface column. It will tell you what the difference is between the various models since there are several that has an ethernet WAN interface.