Options

I.T. Is a lonely pursuit

slinuxuzerslinuxuzer Member Posts: 665 ■■■■□□□□□□
Here I sit 8:30 on a friday night 24 years old my youth slipping away, loading two new laptops manually because these new D630 laptops don't like my Ghost images (considering using SCCM for OS deployment and feedback?) Just thinking about all the beer I could be drinking, thers gambling needs doing and women needs chasing, and laptops need loading? WTF

Anyway I was just thinking how lonely a career this is sometimes no one understands what your talking about when you talk about work, then there is the never ending Joke that you surf the internet for a living, then theres the people that think your overpaid and a trained chimp could do your Job. Girlfriends never understand study time; Seriously this is like the root cause of 98% of the domestic disputes Involving one or more I.T. Professionals.

So I propose we all make a pact to meet up a defcon this year, get really stoned and then just get all that tech talk out of the old system; ALL I Wanna Know, Is Whose commin with ME?

If you found this thread humorous there is no need to thank me I accept cash. :D

Comments

• Options
    HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    slinuxuzer wrote:
    Here I sit 8:30 on a friday night 24 years old my youth slipping away, loading two new laptops manually because these new D630 laptops don't like my Ghost images (considering using SCCM for OS deployment and feedback?) Just thinking about all the beer I could be drinking, thers gambling needs doing and women needs chasing, and laptops need loading? WTF

Anyway I was just thinking how lonely a career this is sometimes no one understands what your talking about when you talk about work, then there is the never ending Joke that you surf the internet for a living, then theres the people that think your overpaid and a trained chimp could do your Job. Girlfriends never understand study time; Seriously this is like the root cause of 98% of the domestic disputes Involving one or more I.T. Professionals.

A. Use Backup Exec System Recovery instead of Ghost. When the new laptop comes in, load BESR and make a boot disk with all the drivers you need, and then restore your image to with the boot disk. DONE!
    B. Dude, most higher end professionals would bore the crap out of you and me if they talked about their professions in detail, too. Could you imagine a lawyer talking about the affidavit they just drafted? I'd be bored to tears! How about a doctor talking about operating on someone's gastrointestinal system? I'd be bored and disgusted at the same time. An accountant talking about an audit?! Coma!

You're in an advanced, high knowledge/skillset profession, and most other people in the professions I just listed above have to do the same thing when they're starting out, and feel the same way you do.

Not getting on you, I'm just saying that sometimes we think we in IT are the only ones who go through this kind of thing. We're not.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    TryntotechitTryntotechit Member Posts: 108
    Hero's right. I have to talk to my wife very idiotly sometimes. She doesn't understand the inner working of an OS or a computer. She is a very bright woman that knows her own profession. I know mine. I think every profession has its pros and cons. Unfortunately, some of I.T. is lonely.
    Taking 70-294 very soon...again
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm definitely in for defcon icon_cool.gif

I think it'd be a blast to try to organize a TE get-together out there. I was really bummed I couldn't make it out this year.

My wife's in the other room playing WoW, and I'm spending my Friday night here. It can be lonely even with like-minded people nearby icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Defcon sounds really cool, but the stoned part just hasn't been a part of my life for a years icon_cool.gif

Maybe we should do a TechExams meet at Defcon yearly.
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm definitely in for defcon icon_cool.gif

I think it'd be a blast to try to organize a TE get-together out there. I was really bummed I couldn't make it out this year.

My wife's in the other room playing WoW, and I'm spending my Friday night here. It can be lonely even with like-minded people nearby icon_lol.gif

I'd agree,

but this is the life that most of us choose, I went through the partying stage..... and I tell you what I wouldn't trade my profession for anything in the world. As I write at 10pm on a friday night.

i'll be here tomorrow. studying my arse off..

besr is pretty sweet - even has capabilities of reloading to dissimiliar hardware. I tried to get one image into a .vmdk but i failed...
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    We use D630's where I work as well.... Would be funny if we worked for the same company.

ROFL.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    That'd be cool to meet some other techexam geeks like myself :D Count me in!

Yeah, truthfully none of my friends know computers. They talk about their cars, jobs, 4 wheeling and hunting trips....I nod my head like I understand or care....At least I don't bore them with my story of how I had to upgrade the firmware on my firebox this morning. icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options

Yeah, truthfully none of my friends know computers. They talk about their cars, jobs, 4 wheeling and hunting trips....I nod my head like I understand or care....At least I don't bore them with my story of how I had to upgrade the firmware on my firebox this morning. icon_lol.gif

could all meet in vegas and go to the bunny ranch...

Gotta be some kind of IT convention out there that I can use my airline miles I acrue through purchasing:)
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    bjaxx wrote:

could all meet in vegas and go to the bunny ranch...

Gotta be some kind of IT convention out there that I can use my airline miles I acrue through purchasing:)

As long as they take coupons at the bunny ranch..... I'm dead broke icon_lol.gif Nah, we'll just cruze the vegas strip.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    As long as they take coupons at the bunny ranch..... I'm dead broke icon_lol.gif

Do you think they'll trade services?

"Want me to get all this Spyware off your PC?"

"Sure"

"Alright.. it looks like that scan's going to run for about fifteen minutes... want to kill some time?"
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Wait... 24 and your youth is slipping away? Damn I'm 20 and your scaring the **** out of me.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This topic kinda relates to me. I used to be a loser working crappy retail and manual labor jobs yet I was always out partying and just having a good time and always had girls on tap. Then I decided to go back to school and get into IT and my life has really really really slowed down. I spent the Friday night yesterday watching "The Office" until I went to bed a little after 2am. I told myself that during my little "break" from school right now I would go out and have more fun but now I find myself sleeping really early most nights to get up and run instead.
  • Options
    Anonymouse wrote:
    This topic kinda relates to me. I used to be a loser working crappy retail and manual labor jobs yet I was always out partying and just having a good time and always had girls on tap. Then I decided to go back to school and get into IT and my life has really really really slowed down. I spent the Friday night yesterday watching "The Office" until I went to bed a little after 2am. I told myself that during my little "break" from school right now I would go out and have more fun but now I find myself sleeping really early most nights to get up and run instead.

Part of the reason we get so excited when we talk to someone that knows "IT" related topics.
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    Wait... 24 and your youth is slipping away? Damn I'm 20 and your scaring the **** out of me.

Haha. It goes faster than you think. I'm going to be 26 in Jan. 20 to now has been an absolute blur (and not because of alcohol, well, too much alcohol). It's not like there's no joy in life, but your responsibilities seem to constantly increase once you get out in the "real world".
  • Options
    jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just balance everything, work to personal life, go out there and enjoy your life... Hit as many chiks as you can!!!
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Haha. It goes faster than you think. I'm going to be 26 in Jan. 20 to now has been an absolute blur (and not because of alcohol, well, too much alcohol). It's not like there's no joy in life, but your responsibilities seem to constantly increase once you get out in the "real world".

Hey, could be worse, you could be 31 and already be on your second career. icon_rolleyes.gif

It's just hard for me to believe that I'm only 31, and I taught for 4 years, and have been full time in IT for 4 years. Somehow doesn't seem right.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Hey, could be worse, you could be 31 and already be on your second career. icon_rolleyes.gif

It's just hard for me to believe that I'm only 31, and I taught for 4 years, and have been full time in IT for 4 years. Somehow doesn't seem right.

Maybe after you get more experience in IT you can combine both of your careers...and teach IT!
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Anonymouse wrote:
    Work/study hard now. It might suck because you can't go out as much as you want but in the long term you'll have a much better and easier life.
  • Options
    Anonymouse wrote:
    Maybe after you get more experience in IT you can combine both of your careers...and teach IT!

If it paid as well as what I do now, I'd be all over it. I love teaching.

But the unfortunate reality is it doesn't.

Honestly, I would like my third career to be either a college professor once I'm filthy rich, followed by a run for public office.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I think the concept of the lonely professional is true for any passion a person has. If you were a chemist, an artist, a finance-geek, a writer, or anything else, chances are you'd be spending a lot of time in solitude, working towards your goals. (Think about all those grad-students across the world, wanting to become doctors, lawyers, etc. The library isn't exactly party-centeral.) Some people are lucky, and happen to find a partner that shares in some of those passions, while others have friends and colleagues that we can geek out with, but it's often the case that IT is, in fact, a field that you have to go at alone for the most part.

But hey, that's why we have communities like TechExams.net, so you have somewhere to go and talk tech, (read "go to 11 on the geek-o-meter",) while you pretend you're working. icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    I think the concept of the lonely professional is true for any passion a person has. If you were a chemist, an artist, a finance-geek, a writer, or anything else, chances are you'd be spending a lot of time in solitude, working towards your goals. (Think about all those grad-students across the world, wanting to become doctors, lawyers, etc. The library isn't exactly party-centeral.) Some people are lucky, and happen to find a partner that shares in some of those passions, while others have friends and colleagues that we can geek out with, but it's often the case that IT is, in fact, a field that you have to go at alone for the most part.

But hey, that's why we have communities like TechExams.net, so you have somewhere to go and talk tech, (read "go to 11 on the geek-o-meter",) while you pretend you're working. icon_lol.gif

Yeah sadly none of my close friends are IT people. The closest I have to friends that are in IT are coworkers (current and former) and old classmates from the tech school I attended. My best buddies don't do that kinda thing though. Even my most recent ex-gf hated my line of work since sometimes I'd have to put more time into work then spending with her, because of my job she thought I was the geekiest geek ever. This was partly due to my nerdish appearance and my love of anime and videogames lol. Seems my only redeeming factor was my fast car icon_sad.gif. Though I am more of a car geek than an IT geek so I have a lot of friends and acquaintances that I relate to due to my love of cars and turbocharged combustion engines.
  • Options
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Anonymouse wrote:

It seems like IT trainers make a pretty good living. Have you looked into it at all?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Anonymouse wrote:

It seems like IT trainers make a pretty good living. Have you looked into it at all?

Yes. To make good money as a trainer, I'd need to travel. That's not an option for me for personal reasons.
    Good luck to all!
  • Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    HeroPsycho wrote:
    Anonymouse wrote:

Yes. To make good money as a trainer, I'd need to travel. That's not an option for me for personal reasons.

I don't know about that. I was making good money as a trainer without travel even before I owned my own school. I have trainers that make $1000+ per day (1099 so factor in what you'd pay in taxes). Alot of what you can make depends on demand and what courses you can deliver. Right now good MCSE instructors are easy to find and the rate is lower than say someone who is delivering advanced MPLS courses or the Microsoft development courses. Like anything, moving from administration/support/engineering into teaching is a career change, and just like anything else you will take a pay hit until you are a proven instructor (ie scoring 4.8 out of 5 or better on your metrics.)
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    slinuxuzer wrote:

So I propose we all make a pact to meet up a defcon this year, get really stoned and then just get all that tech talk out of the old system; ALL I Wanna Know, Is Whose commin with ME?

If you found this thread humorous there is no need to thank me I accept cash. :D

Brilliant!
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."