Options

keylogger

ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
I want to spy on someone using my computer...do you know any keylogger that's safe to use and free of malware? icon_cool.gif
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• Options
    Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Eh. I don't think that's an appropriate question to ask here...
  • Options
    TryPingingTheServerTryPingingTheServer Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

An off-topic technology-related question. Seems more than appropriate.
    "His GPA is a solid 2.0. Right in that meaty part of the curve - not showing off, not falling behind."
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    I'm not really sure what Techexams stance is on keyloggers....but it's not hard to do a google search for one. Personally I'm not really into spying on people, I have better things to do. If this is a loved one at home, I think it would be much better to be open and honest and talk to them. Spying would only lead to more trust issues.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    I'm not really sure what Techexams stance is on keyloggers....but it's not hard to do a google search for one. Personally I'm not really into spying on people, I have better things to do. If this is a loved one at home, I think it would be much better to be open and honest and talk to them. Spying would only lead to more trust issues.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

I think it's more of an ethical issue than it is a content issue.

To answer the question, you're probably going to have to just try through trial and error. I'm sure there are some that will be caught by an AV while others will be seen as legitimate programs.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I want to spy on someone using my computer...do you know any keylogger that's safe to use and free of malware? icon_cool.gif
    Statements like these make the difference between security software and hacker-tools. The only thing you have to go on when you're working with security tools is your honor and your maturity. I don't think any self-respecting professional is going to give you any advice, based on that statement. Good luck, but I get the feeling that, wherever you do get that kind of advice from, won't be the kind that'll ensure you being free from spyware and viruses.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    To be fair, I could see there being legitimate uses for this as well. There might be an employee that's suspected of some unscrupulous behavior, etc. I agree that the OP does make it sound like it's just for fun, but you never know...
  • Options
    ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Actually I don't have any malicious intent. I just want to monitor my 14 yo niece internet activity. She's in her tender years in she's under my custody. Speaking of ethics, I'd like to say that my purpose isn't immature and my goal is aimed to protect. Talking about human values and ethics will just start a heated discussion so I want to ask our good moderators to just close this thread instead.

My apology and thanks for the comments. :)
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    There are much better ways to ensure your niece is not viewing inappropriate behavior, other than the use of using a keylogger. Ethically speaking I would never do this to a family member, I think it crosses the line and invades the privacy of the individual.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I agree with Beaver. As for my own advice, use Vista and look into the parental control features.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-vista/features/parental-controls.aspx
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect/products/family/vista.mspx
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial139.html

And obviously, there are ways for your niece to bypass this as there are guides on the internet. But it's still a step in the right direction.

Good luck and I commend you for trying to protect your niece and be a good guardian.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Keylogger, portscanner, password cracker -- these all can be used either ethically or unethically. They can come in really handy for either good or bad!
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Actually I don't have any malicious intent. I just want to monitor my 14 yo niece internet activity. She's in her tender years in she's under my custody. Speaking of ethics, I'd like to say that my purpose isn't immature and my goal is aimed to protect. Talking about human values and ethics will just start a heated discussion so I want to ask our good moderators to just close this thread instead.

Unfortunately,
    This is not how you started the dialog.

BSafe online or BSafe.com is what we recommend to our clients, if your intent is to keep her safe while using your Interent connection.

FWIW
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Install a web proxy/filter if you're that worried. If you really want to log what is being typed then buy one of the many inline hardware keyloggers.
  • Options
    Darthn3ssDarthn3ss Member Posts: 1,096
    get the great firewall of china. block any social networking and chat websites :D
    Fantastic. The project manager is inspired.

In Progress: 70-640, 70-685
  • Options

Well said then! Should of said that earlier. There are programs out there just do a search.
  • Options
    Mmartin_47 wrote:

Well it's the way he asked about it... almost look he's looking for hacking tools on our forums without going into detail, but he isn't as he stated later....
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod

Well, I'm reserving judgment on the immaturity part for now. Honestly, though, a resourceful teenager will circumvent any automated security measures you put in place. In leau of trusting the technology to do the job for you, I'd say your best bet is to educate your niece on the ups and downs of web-surfing, make sure she knows what the risks (and benefits) are, and trust her judgement to do the right thing.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    quickercarterquickercarter Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A software keylogger would probably record keystrokes from an O/S soft keyboard like Microsoft, depending on where exactly it hooks into the operating system.

Free Trial: http://download.cnet.com/Myjad-Keylogger-Pro/3000-2162_4-75978859.html
  • Options
    tpatt100tpatt100 Member Posts: 2,991 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sounds too pervy to me.....

You don't need a keylogger because in my opinion that is far too intrusive even if it were my kids. Install some security software, setup some basic blocks but most importantly just TALK to her and lay down some ground rules and expectations.

Best thing to do is just put the computer in a public area of the house. Speaking as a former 14 year old I know looking back those were the formative years when it comes to developing social skills. The internet has created issues where the way I acted or spoke back then was kept local now it is for the entire world to see. That is the important thing to teach is how to act online.
  • Options
    SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Attention to detail. /points at thread date icon_rolleyes.gif
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???