Options

Frequencies and Channels Quiz

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
icon_arrow.gifwww.techexams.net/cwnpexam/start.php?exam=freq_chann

As many of our visitors appreciate the well-known ports quizzes for the Network+ and the Security+ exam I figured I should do something similar for the CWNA exam. Click the link above to start the Frequencies and Channels Quiz.

For me, and I think many agree, memorizing numeric values is one of the least fun but hardest part of many studies. Quizzes like these can make a huge difference, just take it a couple of times and you won't forget them anymore.

Comments

• Options
    viper75viper75 Member Posts: 726 ■■■■□□□□□□
    icon_thumright.gif
    CCNP Security - DONE!
    CCNP R&S - In Progress...
    CCIE Security - Future...
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    Webmaster wrote:
    For me, and I think many agree, memorizing numeric values is one of the least fun but hardest part of many studies.
    Make a quiz for "which modulation technique goes with what 802.11 standard at what speed." That's another set of matricies you need to memorize for the CWNA.

The thing that's killing me right now is the RF math. icon_cry.gif
  • Options
    Ugh. 60% for me. Not good. icon_cry.gif

I'm not yet clear on which freqs end in either "25" or "75". The +/- also threw me on bandwidth. And question number 6 is very tricky. It's not the first answer that pops into your head!

Great quiz, Webmaster!!
  • Options
    Make a quiz for "which modulation technique goes with what 802.11 standard at what speed." That's another set of matricies you need to memorize for the CWNA.
    Consider it done.icon_thumright.gif
    The thing that's killing me right now is the RF math. icon_cry.gif
    Although I've noticed some comments in the book about some math/formulas not being questioned on the CWNA exam, I will make a separate quiz for that one as well. I actually like the topic icon_redface.gif , reminds me of learning subnetting and now I finally understand why the values on an old stereo/amplifier are not linear icon_wink.gif

I'm glad you like the quiz, and thanks for the suggestions!
  • Options
    seekseek Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I had no RF math questions on exam.

Its a good thing to know of course..but don't worry too much on it.

Focus more on Mw-Db relationships..max outputs etc.

Seek
  • Options
    You had no questions involving caculating gain and loss, and conversion from mW to dB? Those are sure present in the P3 on-line practice exams.
  • Options
    There were a lot of questions on the Practice exams. I dont want to say anything I shouldnt on the actual exam but I was supprised on the lack of RF math questions.

Perhaps I should clarify earlier statement and say "There was a lack of complicated or tricky RF math questions"

If you are comfortable with the practice exam questions...I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Seek
  • Options
    Took the quiz on frequencies..it is very good to know.

I would have all that memorized before takeing the exam.

Seek
  • Options
    I went back and reread the RF Math section in Chapter 2 of the CWNA Study Guide, and I probably am over-reacting to the possible math on the exam. If you know the difference between dB, dBm, dBi, how to convert between dBm and mW, the rule of 10s and 3s, and how to apply the math to a transceiver diagram then that's probably all you need to know.

It also states in the same section that no logarithm work or calculators are needed on the exam.
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    I went back and reread the RF Math section in Chapter 2 of the CWNA Study Guide, and I probably am over-reacting to the possible math on the exam. If you know the difference between dB, dBm, dBi, how to convert between dBm and mW, the rule of 10s and 3s, and how to apply the math to a transceiver diagram then that's probably all you need to know.

It also states in the same section that no logarithm work or calculators are needed on the exam.

You know that...your good. The offical practice book covers the exam very well.

I took some outside tests that had me doin complicated RF math..scared the crap out of me. That more what I was getting at. You wont have anything you cant figure out in your head in 1 min.
  • Options
    seek wrote:
    I took some outside tests that had me doin complicated RF math..scared the crap out of me. That more what I was getting at. You wont have anything you cant figure out in your head in 1 min.
    What? Scared of a little trig and calculus? You whimp! icon_lol.gif

Between learning the RF stuff and my 13yo asking me how to divide fractions and factor polynomials I am actually taking a refresher math class at a local community college this Summer. Talk about scared--those math tutor center docents carry metal rulers and leather straps!! (or so I hear... icon_eek.gif).
  • Options
    jdmurray wrote:
    If you know the difference between dB, dBm, dBi, how to convert between dBm and mW, the rule of 10s and 3s, and how to apply the math to a transceiver diagram then that's probably all you need to know.
    That's what I figured too, I just recently used the online practice exams for the first time, and it included a couple of those. Pretty simple once you know the basic rules. I think I will make a 'Power' Quiz about that topic.

As for the modulation types, I will include those in a 802.11x quiz which I'm currently working on. I will try to finish it today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    Think you guys are falling into the over study zone :) The exam is not a killer. You both have completed way harder tests according to your profiles.

If you are comfortable with the official online practice tests...go write..you will pass.

Seek
  • Options
    Yeah you are probably right. I took the first 3 practice exams and I scored between 80 and 90%, without having to guess.

But, I'm not 'just' preparing for the exam, I always over study when it comes to topics I want to write about ;)
  • Options
    My ultimate objective is not to pass any certification exam. Instead, I use the cert exams as a framework and motivation to study specific subjects in the fields of computer science and information technology. Passing an exam and getting a piece of paper to hang on my wall (and in my resume) is just a side benefit, and a nice one at that.

I also take CS classes at a local community college, and without a specific degree objective in mind. Getting good grades in these classes is also a side benefit. I'm really after the knowledge of the subjects and the networking with other computing professionals.
  • Options
    Same here, the certificate is not the goal, just a meaning to an end. But I do understand that many people want to pass certs as quickly as possible. I used to be one of them, as I got an increase in salary everytime I got a new cert. I used to schedule an exam when I was fairly sure I would pass it, even if I had not read all the chapter of a study guide. Now I know I will stop studying the topics as soon as I passed the exam (got that over with, moving on to the next one) which is exactly what I don't want... yet ;)

The Power quiz will most probably contain some questions too detailed or too complex, compared to the actual exam. I think some of thise formulas are a good example of the knowledge you can get from a book when needed, instead of trying to memorize it. Nevertheless, I like to actually master these topics at least once, even if I will forget it a week after the exam. At least I will know exactly what I'm looking for when I would need it on the job, and I'll have done it at least a couple of times in theory instead of having to figure out what the heck that formula means.