Options

Back problems

cdad2000cdad2000 Member Posts: 323
Hey Everyone,

As IT professional we tend to be at our desk most of the time. Does anyone get neck or back pains?

My neck is killing me

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    My back is always killing me! I even have one of those expensive chairs that are asjustable in 5000 different ways. I usually try to stand and walk around for a few minutes every hour, but there is always work to do and I tend to lose track of time. Before I know it my back is killing me from sitting too long once again.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I used to have back pain, but I stretch out atleast 20 minutes a day, most likely 4 times a week.

This one is very good, especially when a lady helps you out:
    http://www.ehow.com/how_3004_stretch-back.html

The cobra and cat stretch are good, but I do not aprove of that chick:
    http://www.bodyresults.com/E2lowerbackstretches.asp
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used to be a massage therapist. Back pain is often caused by hip muscles being too tight. Case in point: All the jobs I have had in the past...rarely had back pain...as I was mostly on my feet.
    When you sit too long your hip flexor muscles tighten up. Then, when you go to stand up, you need to push on your lower back. The key is too get up and move every 30 minutes or so. This will alleviate a lot of the pain.
    If you can visualize this. Get down on your RIGHT knee and stretch your left foot out and then lean forward as you exhale, making sure your LEFT knee doesn't go past your foot..if it does move your foot out farther...helps prevent knee pain as well! After doing 5 reps of this, switch sides.
    This stretch will give almost immediate relief to lower back pain..if it is caused by tight muscles.
    If you see a massage therapist, ask them to do psoas releases. Works much better than chiropractic or accupuncture, because tight muscles pull bones out of joint.

Hope this helps..I treated 100's of people with lower back problems.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Now this is my idea of the Cobra!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I started working in IT about 1 1/2 years ago and just recently I started getting terrible neck pains about a month ago. Some times it gets so bad that I can't sleep at night, but lately its been feeling slightly better. It sure is strange dealing with physical problems that come from working in IT.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't forget posture and regular stand up breaks are very important. My mum and dad were always telling me to sit up straight and it's not bad advice tbh! General rule of thumb is - always listen to your parents icon_wink.gif
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I've been seeing a chiropractor for the past year and I've seen great results from that. Making sure you get regular exercise with proper stretching is also very important. Plus make sure you've got a proper mattress and pillow since you spend a lot of time on them during the day. Don't forget proper posture as mentioned earlier!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cdad2000 wrote:
    Hey Everyone,

As IT professional we tend to be at our desk most of the time. Does anyone get neck or back pains?

My neck is killing me

My neck kills me constantly. I had to get muscle relaxers to help alleviate the pain.
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    RikkuRikku Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I get stiff shoulders and neck muscles sometime, even though I stretch and swim every day. Just be sure to remember to "move" your neck and turn your head left, right, up and down and roll your neck "carefully and slowly."

As for sore or stiffness I HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend SalonPas. You can get it pretty much at any drugstore,Rite-Aid and or grocery. http://www.salonpas.us/whereto.php

If you can, try mainly to use at night before bed. Start out with a few patches to get used to and then try more if needed. If you want to wear it during the day, be aware it somewhat has a rootbeer mediciny smell to it. But it really, really works. I swear by it! ;)

If your open to this kind of thing, I would also try this (at least once). You put these sticky patches on your feet..they have a herb/salt/mineral combination in the packet that attaches herbal side inside on your feet. Some people say it doesnt work to pull out toxins from your feet. But, think about it. Alot of toxins decend to your feet over time and never get flushed out of your system. If you use these patches over a few days. You will notice that if you do not have much toxins left, the patch does NOT change color by the next morning! The thing is you can normally only find these in like a Japanese, Chinese or Korean grocery market. :)

http://www.naturaltreasure.net/foot_patch_info.htm

-Rikku
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Get a decent mattress too...
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...