Options

Can only Remote into my PC from internal and not external #

ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
Currently i have my Vista Business Edition set up for remote control. i have the internal ip forwarded to port 3391. I can remote into it using my internal ip on port 3391 but no one on the outside can reach it.

Anyone got a idea?
CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
Cisco CCENT In Progress
MCP Server 291 In Progress
C|EH In Progress

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Do you have a NAT statement set up to translate?

EDIT: I see you have the port forwarded, missed that the first time. Do you have a firewall blocking that port? Is you ISP blocking that port?
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    I have my internal Ip forwarded for the pc i want to reach under port 3391. Firewall on the pc is currently off. I was always able to remote into it before. At that time i had it connected to a cisco router. Currently the wireless router is connected straight to the cable modem port forwarding the internal ip to 3391
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    If you were able to remote to it when plugged into the Cisco router it is probably a setting on your wireless router.
  • Options
    This is possible. But the router was set up to port forward the internal ip to that port number.
    And since the firewall is off it should be reached from the outside.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    If the only thing that has changed is the router that's probably the issue.

The first thing I ask when something stops working is what did you change?

99.99% of the time the change caused the problem.

I'd read up on the product documentation for your wireless router for more information on port forwarding.
  • Options
    I hear ya. But like i said to port forward is as easy as putting the internal ip in and what port to forward. That all that has to be done and its already been completed. Since i can remote internally using the internal ip on that port i should be able to remote from the outside as well.If one works should both of them not work.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Just curious, why are you using 3391? Did you make the registry edit to change the RDP port? If not, the port should be 3389. Even if your port forwarding is incorrectly configured on the router, it'll still work internally. Routing is the only other thing involved if it is working internally.
  • Options
    Yes i did change the registry for that port. The reason why i changed the port is that is the most common one used. That is why i changed it i did not want it to be on the normal port and wanted it to be accessible only on a port that i knew.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ULWiz wrote:
    Yes i did change the registry for that port. The reason why i changed the port is that is the most common one used. That is why i changed it i did not want it to be on the normal port and wanted it to be accessible only on a port that i knew.
    nmap or any other port scanner will find that in a couple of minutes.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ULWiz wrote:
    That is why i changed it i did not want it to be on the normal port and wanted it to be accessible only on a port that i knew.

So I guess you're going to have to change it again icon_lol.gif

Seriously though, something's wrong with your port forwarding. Like Networker said, that's the only thing that changed. Read up on how to setup port forwarding. Maybe you added the port, but you need to enable port forwarding globally somewhere else. Maybe you need to restart the device before changes take effect. Maybe you mistyped the IP that you want it forwarded to.
    tiersten wrote:
    nmap or any other port scanner will find that in a couple of minutes.

I think it's better than nothing. Most script kiddies or whatever are just going to scan the known ports and move on. I think more often than not, random attacks are simply looking for convenient openings. I agree that it shouldn't be considered a huge roadblock since it will, like you said, barely even slow down someone who's determined. Every little bit helps though. I'd rather avoid the majority of attacks myself. :D
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You made sure you're forwarding TCP 3389? Not got it set to UDP or anything?
  • Options
    I guess it works my friend just tried it even though it did not work earlier. I tried it yesterday and it was not working. Nothing has changed on my side since. So i am not sure.

Thanks for the advice.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress