Options

Can you deploy registry changes

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Guys,

Do any of you know if there is a way to automate the deployment of a reg change. I have to make some reg changes to a a handful of machines. I have exported the changes to a reg file if I re-import this to my own machine then it makes the changes. I'm looking for a way deploy the reg change from my machine to about 10 machines. Does anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You can make registry changes through GPO.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If they use a logon script, you could add the entries to the logon script and add them using the REG command built into XP and Vista
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If its only 10 machines, open regedit on your computer, then choose FILE>CONNECT REMOTE REGISTRY and type the IP or computer name of the remote machine. Import the reg file as normal. Make sure you are using an account with admin rights on the remote machines.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • Options
    cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your pointers. For now I think I will connect to the reg key and import the changes on the 10 test machines. If the change that is made tonight is succesful then I will need to role this out to over 200 machines. I will investigate the reg command possibilty. I have not done this before it sounds like I may have to write out some script to get the reg command to execute. I'm not great at writing script but I will look into thanks for all your comments
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    cjthedj45 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your pointers. For now I think I will connect to the reg key and import the changes on the 10 test machines. If the change that is made tonight is succesful then I will need to role this out to over 200 machines. I will investigate the reg command possibilty. I have not done this before it sounds like I may have to write out some script to get the reg command to execute. I'm not great at writing script but I will look into thanks for all your comments
    For 200 machines use a GPO like Mishra suggested.
  • Options
    sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote:
    cjthedj45 wrote:
    Hi Guys,

For 200 machines use a GPO like Mishra suggested.

+1

The problem with using the reg command via a logon script is that generally the user must be a local admin for it to work. So I agree with using a GPO to manage registry settings across multiple machines.

Computer Configuration > Windows Settings > Security Settings > Registry

Right click and select "Add Key".
    All things are possible, only believe.