Options

Two job offers; could use a little advice.

2»

Comments

• Options
    oo_snoopyoo_snoopy Member Posts: 124
    gojericho0 wrote:
    I'd go with option A. Sounds like its a better career move both financially and moving up the ladder. Are they willing to pay relocation as well?

Yes, 2500. It's enough to get moved down and settled in.
    I used to run the internet.
  • Options
    jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    famosbrown brings up a good point. If you can get Job A to pay for your Masters... wow that would be a grand slam.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Options
    jryantech wrote:
    famosbrown brings up a good point. If you can get Job A to pay for your Masters... wow that would be a grand slam.

Well Job B is part of a big University, so I get 75% off all my classes, but Job A does the normal education assistance, and ASU is a nice school.

My heart tells me to take Job B and stay close to home, but my mind says take Job A and make the best career move possible. I'll have to decide by Friday.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Well...I always say go with your heart, but not your emotions...if you understand what I'm saying.

Job B only pays 75%?? Many universities offer 100% to their employees including books. My employer even pays 100% plus books.

Just make the decision that you will be able to live with and not regret. Do not make a decision and later say that you did because of someone other than yourself. Make the decision and own it.

Good luck again :) .
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    famosbrown wrote:
    Well...I always say go with your heart, but not your emotions...if you understand what I'm saying.

Job B only pays 75%?? Many universities offer 100% to their employees including books. My employer even pays 100% plus books.

Just make the decision that you will be able to live with and not regret. Do not make a decision and later say that you did because of someone other than yourself. Make the decision and own it.

Good luck again :) .

+1 man. You do whats best for you. Sounds win-win either way...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey, even though Im a newbie, I figured id throw my 2 cents in as well.

Job A sounds terrific money wise of course, but location as well. I'm not too sure how MO is but i think you have more opportunity down in the heat. As far as family goes, I can't tell you much. Ive been away from my family since I was 17 and its true, you get used to it. The best way to stay close is through technology. Webcam, cell phone email. You wont feel so far after 2 weeks.

In this economy extra money is definately a plus.

If they are willing to pay 75% of your schooling then this question is definately a no brainer. Even if you were just testing breakers, you get schooling out of it which could land you an even better job for lots more money. You can always go back home, but a good paying job with benefits like that? Maybe its me but I find thats a lucky find.

Again, Im your average newbie, but thats just in my opinion.

Just make sure, no matter what you decide....its for you and its to make you happy, even if it pays less money. Do what you love to do and do it the best you can. you can't lose.
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    jryantech wrote:

Well Job B is part of a big University, so I get 75% off all my classes, but Job A does the normal education assistance, and ASU is a nice school.

My heart tells me to take Job B and stay close to home, but my mind says take Job A and make the best career move possible. I'll have to decide by Friday.

Don't forget to take a look at the job market for the cities that are you are deciding between. A very close friend of mine moved to Phoenix for a job with and ended up working for Intel 2 years later. Have you compared full benefit and compensation packages (vacation, health, 401k, bonus structure, ops. for advancement, etc). Also think of the monetary requirements for future positions... easier to command higher salary if you are @ $70k now rather than ~$50k (easier, though not impossible based on experience, education, and certification).

Though I have to admit if it were me it'd be hard to pass up those ASU girls (wife would smack me for saying that)....
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    Well I took my time and carefully mulled over this choice, and I'm going to Phoenix. While it would be nice to stay real close to home, my family is supportive of me excelling my career. In the end it didn't come down to money, but what I would be learning, and at the Phoenix job I would be picking Juniper routers and a lot more MPLS.

Thank you everyone for the great advice.
  • Options
    down77 wrote:
    Though I have to admit if it were me it'd be hard to pass up those ASU girls (wife would smack me for saying that)....

My wife IS an ASU girl (Actually she is Alumni now) :D

oo_snoopy wrote:
    Well I took my time and carefully mulled over this choice, and I'm going to Phoenix. While it would be nice to stay real close to home, my family is supportive of me excelling my career. In the end it didn't come down to money, but what I would be learning, and at the Phoenix job I would be picking Juniper routers and a lot more MPLS.

Thank you everyone for the great advice.

HEY CONGRATS! Now you need to have a beer with plazma and I (you too undomiel if you want to start drinking :P )
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Welcome to Phoenix then! Enjoy the monsoons. :) No beer for me though thanks. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    undomiel wrote:
    Welcome to Phoenix then! Enjoy the monsoons. :) No beer for me though thanks. :D

Can't you just drink O'Douls and pretend to be cool?
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Well I took my time and carefully mulled over this choice, and I'm going to Phoenix.

Congrats on the new job icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    undomiel wrote:

Can't you just drink O'Douls and pretend to be cool?
    oo_snoopy wrote:
    Well I took my time and carefully mulled over this choice, and I'm going to Phoenix.

Congrats on the new job icon_cheers.gif

I recommend St Pauly Girl, so you can at least look at the hot chick on the Can/Bottle. :)

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats on the new position and good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    TechBoy22TechBoy22 Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your decision and your new job. Hope you learn a lot there and continue on your journey! alien.gif
    Michael

Dreams are made up of small ideas with BIG pictures. Focus is the key that unlocks the door to success.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations on the new job, sounds like it was a tough choice. I'm sure it will work out well for you, (and if it doesn't, you can always just blame snadam). Good, bad, or mediocre, the end-result and the experience is going to be worth the risk. Let us know how things are going for you out there in the scorched wastelands. . . err. . . I mean, "the beautiful Copper State". :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Slowhand wrote:
    Congratulations on the new job, sounds like it was a tough choice. I'm sure it will work out well for you, (and if it doesn't, you can always just blame snadam). Good, bad, or mediocre, the end-result and the experience is going to be worth the risk. Let us know how things are going for you out there in the scorched wastelands. . . err. . . I mean, "the beautiful Copper State". :D

We are the "Grand Canyon State", thank you :)

• Options
    sides14sides14 Member Posts: 113
    I think that you should compare the salary to each region and whether or not there are good promotional opportunities at each job. In addition, you should look at the industry in each area. I currently live in the Phoenix area and there are a tremendous amount of networking/IT jobs.

I read that someone thought that testing circuits all day would be a drag. The greatest concern that I hear from IT managers is that 1. either their people are really good on the network but lack the telco background, or 2. that they are really good on telco, but couldn't find the network without someone showing them.

I am of the belief that knowing both the networking and "cloud" portions of our industry are the keys to making a lot of money.