Good IT starting job?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I was recently asked for an interview for a job but I'm kinda hesitant, the commute is kinda long since it would be through a good portion of the town and I'm not sure how much IT related I would learn.

Job description:

National shipping company has 45 openings for in-bound Technical Help Desk Representatives!

Responsibilities: Answer in-coming call from external customers regarding technical issues. Ask probing questions to get to root problem. Ability to locate and follow troubleshooting procedures to resolve problem. Properly log and document all calls for future reference.

Requirements:

* High School Diploma or GED
* 1 year call center exp
* Stable work history
* Ability to type 35wpm and pass job specific assessments
* Pass pre-employment background and drug screen
* Flexibility to work M-F between 6am and 6pm including 1 weekend day from 6am-2:30pm

Temp to Full-time positions. SE area of town.

From calling them it sounds like a call center type of work, an example she gave me was when troubleshooting a printer is to ask if the cable was plugged in and the such, the higher level stuff would be sent to other people.

Comments

• AnonymouseAnonymouse Member Posts: 509 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It could be a good one while you study and/or look for another job.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I would be sure to ask about the advancement opportunities because if stuff higher level than making sure the printer is plugged in is sent up then I would want to make sure that it is possible to move to those higher levels pretty swiftly. If so then it seems like it would be a good place to get that entry level work experience on your resume.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • BigO1120BigO1120 Member Posts: 110
    Unless you have another job opportunity lined up...jump on this one. There are so many individuals out there that are looking for that break.

I agree with ohters on this post...ask about advancement.

Best of luck!
    A Thing Of Beauty Is A Joy Forever
  • wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    BigO1120 wrote:
    Unless you have another job opportunity lined up...jump on this one. There are so many individuals out there that are looking for that break.

I agree with ohters on this post...ask about advancement.

Best of luck!

I agree totally!! One of the hardest parts of any career, especially IT, is getting that foot in the door. This job might seem pretty mundane, but when you go to move up you can at least say you've got some IT experience.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Remember, experience is what people looking for... OK
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn