Options

Average MCSE/CCNA

garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
I was wondering on an average how long it takes the most of us to study for an MCP test or MCSE all together? Also how long for a CCNA?

Comments

• Options
    pandimuspandimus Member Posts: 651
    Depends on the test and how hard you study.. I did all my certs in less than a year.
    Xinxing is the hairy one.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    On the flip side, I've been working on mine for a few years now. A+ took about 3 months, and Net+ about 6 months. MCSA is holding me back. Actually, Beer is holding me back.....pint.gifpint.gifpint.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    TransatlanticTransatlantic Member Posts: 120
    A + - Took me about 2 Months

Network + - Took me 6 Months - It's all the fault of that pesky playstation 2 icon_wink.gif
    "Mistakes have been made, others will be blamed."
  • Options
    Ricka182 wrote:
    Actually, Beer is holding me back.....pint.gifpint.gifpint.gif
    LOL..Ya I hear that!! I graduated college not to long ago and I'v been enjoying work and the social life, now its time to knock out some certs.
    PS. About my first post.. I was figuring a month a MCP. That sounded about right to secure a passing score.
  • Options
    supergpersupergper Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well, I have nothing else to do besides my certs (no job) so my A+ took me a week, my Net+ a week, and I am thinking two weeks for Sec+...I have also been adminning for about a year so most the stuff is review for me icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    Well, this week held me back mentally......I hate my job, but I am lucky enough to have one....but seeing the weekend is here......icon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gificon_beer.gifpint.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    DrakonblaydeDrakonblayde Member Posts: 542
    It really depends..... I tend to binge. Sometimes I just need a break when studying. I did Net+ and A+ about a month apart, with 3 months of overall study. For my MCSA, I took 70-210 about 2 months after A+, then didn't even really begin to study for the 70-215/218 until a couple months later, and did them within a couple weeks of each other. Since the new year, I've been prepping for CCNA, and it should take me until December to get through the Academy, but the material is easy enough that I feel comfortable acclerating my learning and taking it within a month, funds allowing, and move on to CCNP.

It's all about your learning style, really. If you can afford to take the time to make certain you're ready, do it. It's important not to burn yourself out and make sure you really are ready to take the exam. The final check for me is Transcender. If I can pass the Transcender exam, I'm usually overprepared for the real thing.
    = Marcus Drakonblayde
    ================
    CCNP-O-Meter:
    =[0%]==[25%]==[50%]==[75%]==[100%]
    ==[X]===[X]====[ ]=====[ ]====[ ]==
    =CCNA==BSCI==BCMSN==BCRAN==CIT=
  • Options
    lost_packetlost_packet Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    man ..It may take a month for an MCP exam if its210, and it may take longer if its 216, overall its just how much you study , how much you experience and how much you grasp. I personally took 15 months to complete MCSA/MCSE... :P . The ideal timing would be anything b/w 4 to 7 months to take up 7 exams considering the factors for newbie,and assuming you are not doing anything more in that time icon_study.gif
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmmm I have been doing it so long I have forgotten ....... what was the question again??

I started this studying full time on a 'Learn at your own pace' scheme using the learnkey CBTs.
    Ahh - A+ was about 3 weeks from start to finish. Would have been 2, but they forgot to book a test time for me and then split the OS and core by 4 days. Net+ was 2 weeks and then I did 70-210 which was about 3 - so was 70-218. I went away and did some work experience for a couple months.
    When I came back I started studying for Sec+ (doah!!) - should have completed my MCSA with 70-216, but I wanted to be one of the first with Sec+. That totally screwed me up and after failing twice I ditched study to try to build up a bank balance again. I am now restarting my study for Sec+ so I can get it out of the way before finishing the MCSA.
    Next on the list are Linux+, Server+ and maybe something Novell.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    See its all about time for me. I mean I've been working a Systems Administrator job for 3 years and now I'm finaly geared up for doing some certs. Most of them seem pretty straight foward, alot of them would be review, but I'm beyond that "learning how to learn" point in IT. I just can't decide what to do...So little time.. I want CCNA, but I also want MCSE...You know!!! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    big boibig boi Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    took me about 13 months for my MCSE/MCDBA. i'm hoping to finish the CCNA inside of 2 months.
  • Options
    ICreateLoopsICreateLoops Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Overall it took me 4 months to get my MCSA. Would've been sooner but been so busy with work didn't have time to take the tests. Hoping to have my CCNA by the end of June/begin of July.
    MCSA 2003, MCDST, Security+, Network+, A+