second copy of Win 2003

rowantreerowantree Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, I am sure I have seen the answer to this question before, but I can't find the post, so hopefully someone can help me here!

Some of the labs for 290 need a second 2003 server - can I use the evaluation software twice, or can anyone direct me to a link so I can download it?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Yup, either use the eval CD again to load the second server, or if you don't have it you can download it from here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsserver/bb430831.aspx
  • rowantreerowantree Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Great, thanks very much for your speedy reply! I didn't know if I could use the CD again as I have already activated the software on my first server!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    rowantree wrote:
    Great, thanks very much for your speedy reply! I didn't know if I could use the CD again as I have already activated the software on my first server!

Yeah it should be fine to use again. Obviously only for the trial period of 180 days.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you are setup labs with VMware, you can use your existing server machine to create another one., so you won't need to install with the cd. icon_wink.gif
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • rowantreerowantree Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for this - my kit probably doesn't have enough oomph for VMware! I have now used the CD again and it activated fine.

I am now battling with getting the 2 servers talking to each other . . . . . . It's all part of the fun!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Tontonsam wrote:
    If you are setup labs with VMware, you can use your existing server machine to create another one., so you won't need to install with the cd. icon_wink.gif

This will result in a ton of hard to solve problems because the SIDs will be the same. You have to run sysprep to strip out the unique information, and you have to activate it again anyway.

Rowan, what are your system specs? You can use virtualization on a pretty modest setup (at least for what you're doing).
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually I do that to setup machines quickly. Normally, I demote the AD and promote it again. I think with the new promotion of the new domain, each object will receive a unique SID.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Tontonsam wrote:
    Usually I do that to setup machines quickly. Normally, I demote the AD and promote it again. I think with the new promotion of the new domain, each object will receive a unique SID.

I use Ghost Enterprise for my lab setup.