Options

Help with Setup

I have installed Server 2003 as a DC and i am trying to join another server to the Domain, but i cannot even ping the DC!! I have given the DC an ip address of 192.168.0.1/24, DNS = 192.168.0.1, Default Gateway = 192.168.0.1. On the second server i have given the ip address 192.168.0.2/24 Default Gateway 192.168.0.1, with Prefered DNS = 192.168.0.1. The network settings are using Host Only. Any ideas?

I have changed the ip addresses as below, but still no joy.

DC
ip: 192.168.2.1
sub: 255.255.255.0
d.gateway: 192.168.2.1
dns: 192.168.2.1

ISA
ip: 192.168.2.2
sub: 255.255.255.0
d.gateway: 192.168.2.1
dns: 192.168.2.1

Still cannot ping the servers. Any Ideas??? Urgent

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have a firewall running?

Also, I can't remember if host-only allows other VMs to communicate with each other. You might want to try putting them on their own virtual network segment.
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Yes, i have disabled the firewall. I am new to vmware, so what do i need to do in order to put them on their own network ?
  • Options
    Just go into the NICs properties/settings (in VMware, not Windows) and it'll give you options for how you want to configure it.
  • Options
    Sorry to be a pain, but can you explain that to me dynamik, do i need to change the VMNet1 (Host Adapter) settings to reflect my ip address`s that i have on the servers? If i am using 192.168.2.1/24 for my network, do i then change the subnet on VMNet1 to 192.168.2.0?
  • Options
    It depends on what you want to do. NAT works just like your router and broadband connection, bridged places the VMs on your physical network, host-only is just what it says, and if you just want to have the machines on their own virtual network segment, but them all on their on vmnet. You don't need to configure IPs or anything like that. These settings are analogous to physical connectivity.
  • Options
    I just want them to be on their own network, so that they dont interfere with the physical network.
  • Options
    Then just put them on their own virtual network (i.e. go to custom and choose something like VMnet2).
  • Options
    All i want to do is have 4 servers with private ip addresses that can talk to eachother. But the setup is confusing me. I have installed the servers and given them all static ip addresses in the range of 192.168.2.1/24 and i need to understand what adapter to use, i.e, VMNet1, VMNet2, Host Only, NAT?????? i have tried all these but i am unablr to ping, i have turned off windows firewall as well on the host, but still no joy.
  • Options
    I'll bump your thread because I'm stumped.

If you put them all the same virtual network, i.e. VMnet2, that's just like plugging them all into a switch. There's really nothing else to configure beyond that. If your TCP/IP configuration is correct and your firewalls are disabled, you should be set. That's a really basic setup.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Double check that the firewall is disabled on both the hosts and on each of the virtual machines. Check to see what IP address the guests are getting from DHCP and maybe post it here.