Google Chrome

WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
Tomorrow (2nd Sept) Google will launch Google Chrome, a multi-process, faster, more stable and more secure open-source web browser. The following link is not working yet at the time I posted this:

icon_arrow.gifwww.google.com/chrome

But this comic about Google Chrome is:
http://blogoscoped.com/archive/2008-09-01-n47.html

(Source: www.mattcutts.com/blog/)

I will give it a serious try for at least a couple of weeks. If it works as good as it sounds, it seems I will finally, after 13 years, say good bye to IE and switch to another browser.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Screen Shots here. I think I will give it a shot, but out of all the browsers I have tried I always go back to Firefox.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Google will always try to get there hands in other pies but when push comes to shove...

They will always just be a search engine... icon_lol.gif

I actually think Google is a great company but a bit Elitist.
    I mean I would definitely not mind working for them:

http://1dak.com/people/google-office-pictures-47-pics/
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've become really attached to several of the firefox extensions. I don't think Google will have a chance entering the browser game.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't understand why they didn't just try to take over the Mozilla Foundation. There's already an open source browser with decent market share. Why start from scratch?
    dynamik wrote:
    I don't understand why they didn't just try to take over the Mozilla Foundation. There's already an open source browser with decent market share. Why start from scratch?

You want Google to be another Microsoft? And just buy out the competition? :)

Google and Mozilla would be a deadly force though...

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jryantech wrote:
    I mean I would definitely not mind working for them
    I don't agree. I have some friends who work at Google and things are getting steadily worse over the past few years. To the point where people are jumping ship. Combined with the on-going child care fiasco, management/employee disconnect, lack of career advancement and the cramped living conditions (e.g. compared to Microsoft), things there are definitely on the decline from a moral perspective.

http://tinyurl.com/3m8amr
    http://valleywag.com/5016355/google-daycare-now-a-luxury-for-larry-and-sergeys-inner-circle

Edit: The 1st link was hosted by Google's BlogSp0t which gets flagged as a spam site here, so I made it a TinyURL. :)
    I've heard the same about Google. They're basically becoming another strict company that doesn't seem like it'd be too fun to work for. What they did with their daycare and how they treated parents is shameful.
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    My only question would be, "What does google get out of this?"
    They are probably reporting back your surfing habits and then targeting advertising at you in y our browser. Remember, no free lunch. icon_wink.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
    Hey, this is just coming from a 20 year old... remember I'm to blind to see this stuff yet icon_cool.gif

Give me a few more years, I just got done being a teenager.

• HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Why do I get the feeling this will be the moment we look back at Google as the moment they jumped the shark?
    My only question would be, "What does google get out of this?"
    They are probably reporting back your surfing habits and then targeting advertising at you in y our browser. Remember, no free lunch. icon_wink.gif

Quite obvious what they get out of it. If it grabs a good enough foothold, they gain a browser that probably be the most friendly to run Google owned web apps in the browser.
    Good luck to all!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll give it a go, but I'm probably going to still stick with Opera.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Downloaded this but can't get it to display any pages....checked proxy/network settings and they are all good. Anyone else have any problems?
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    I have it up and running, no problems so far
    WIP: IPS exam
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'm using it now and am getting all the images.

WAY more images than I'm used to. This thing needs AD-block!!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just installed it and using it now. Seems quite fast but I'm not sure I like the minimalist interface.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    Oooo... It's finally out. Works fine for me.

Hopefully their "incognito mode" is more stable than IE's privacy mode. I have a lot of shopping to do, and IE crashed when I opened like six tabs of videos... for the products I wanted to buy... icon_redface.gif

edit:
    incognito.gif

They even know what I wear when I go "shopping." Spooky!
    I noticed that shift + enter doesn't put in http://www.textyouenter.net around your text and shift control + shift doesn't do .org. Firefox does both of these things and I've gotten so used to it that I don't want to go to another browser without it. That and the extensions I use.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll have to give it a try when I get home...for some reason I can't get it to work on the laptop here at work.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    From the launch Q&A:

"
    Q: Is there direct financial benefit to Google? Is this new ad real estate?
    A: (Sundar) Only in the sense that people use Google more and that the web gets driven forward. But nothing like ads that directly help Google.
    "

So hopefully they'll stay true to this.
    I really like their claims that each tab is an independent process and can survive other tabs crashing. With so many admin consoles now being web based Tabbing and the "reload-every" plugin for Firefox are essential to me and having a whole row of consoles go down because one crashed the browser gets quite annoying (though it is admittedly rare).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
    It's working fine over here. I'm a bit unimpressed with it. It's a bit too minimalistic and what's with it using its own window decorators? It's kind of ugly like that.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I'll give it a go, but I'm probably going to still stick with Opera.

isint that what you say about all web browsers? icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    Pretty much! Nothing has come close to convincing me to switch yet. :)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Using it right now... I actually kinda like it.
    Ahriakin wrote:
    From the launch Q&A:

"
    Q: Is there direct financial benefit to Google? Is this new ad real estate?
    A: (Sundar) Only in the sense that people use Google more and that the web gets driven forward. But nothing like ads that directly help Google.
    "

So hopefully they'll stay true to this.
    I really like their claims that each tab is an independent process and can survive other tabs crashing. With so many admin consoles now being web based Tabbing and the "reload-every" plugin for Firefox are essential to me and having a whole row of consoles go down because one crashed the browser gets quite annoying (though it is admittedly rare).

I think they'd face a barrage of lawsuits if they built any sort of tracking directly into the browser, especially if they gained any significant market share. There's no way a Google browser like that wouldn't be seen as anti-competitive. Plus, it's open-source, so you can always check for yourself.

It seems like this is a move to provide a better platform for their web applications. If you've read up on it, you'd know that there is a huge focus on Javascript performance and stability. I think the long-term goal is to get people hooked on their apps, not just stealthily track a little more usage.
  • coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Just got it, been testing it, no issues as of yet. I kind of like it, mainly for the looks, something different.

One concern though, when I told it to import all the bookmarks from FireFox, it not only did that but all my userIDs and Passwords were also imported, makes it easier, but is something to be concerned about from a security stand point of view.

Also, it is not fully compatible with all the web sites yet; Hotmail. Something to be fixed in the final version.

Other than that, I give it a thumbs up, will probably be using it often.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    This is my first Google Chome post!
    Ahriakin wrote:
    I really like their claims that each tab is an independent process and can
    survive other tabs crashing. With so many admin consoles now being web based Tabbing and the "reload-every" plugin for Firefox are essential to me and having a whole row of consoles go down because one crashed the browser gets quite annoying (though it is admittedly rare).
    Yes, this will solve a lot of single-threaded browser problems for me. I like seeing a new chome.exe appear each time I open a tab, and disappear when a tab is closed. Using a single-process bowser is like being back in the cooperative multitasking days of Windows 3.x. This browser will be much better for running Web apps and implementing security.

I do notice that there are a lot of FireFox 3-ish features. This is not surprising, as the FF3 team is housed on Google's Googleplex.
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    yo i like it, its real smooth, but FF got those add-ons, and until Chrome gets that, i'll be using FF, but once Chrome gets it, FF will be relegated to my back up browser as Opera is my back up now. i refuse to use IE...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Doesn't render a lot of the sites we administer very well. Will see how it progresses.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    This is on reddit right now:

11. Content license from you
    11.1 You retain copyright and any other rights you already hold in Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any Content which you submit, post or display on or through, the Services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the Services and may be revoked for certain Services as defined in the Additional Terms of those Services.

11.2 You agree that this license includes a right for Google to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals with whom Google has relationships for the provision of syndicated services, and to use such Content in connection with the provision of those services.

11.3 You understand that Google, in performing the required technical steps to provide the Services to our users, may (a) transmit or distribute your Content over various public networks and in various media; and (b) make such changes to your Content as are necessary to conform and adapt that Content to the technical requirements of connecting networks, devices, services or media. You agree that this license shall permit Google to take these actions.

11.4 You confirm and warrant to Google that you have all the rights, power and authority necessary to grant the above license.