Cannot see child domain under parent domain in DNS

Hi all, I'm trying to shadow James on CBT Nuggets on DNS Part 2. Here is my current setup:

DCNugget1-
172.16.0.2
DNS- 172.16.0.2
Running Server 2003 w/ SP2 Trial
Running A.D. with DNS configured parent zone as nuggetlab.com

DCNugget2-
172.16.0.5
DNS- 172.16.0.2 (DCNugget1)
Running Server 2003 w/ SP2 Trial
Running A.D. with DNS configured as a child domain of nuggetlab.com as tucson.nuggetlab.com

On DCNugget1, I look at my zones and do not see Tucson. Any ideas why? I'm stuck as of now. Thanks in advance! Hope your holiday all goes well also.

Comments

  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,353
    Do you see a folder called Tuscon under your parent's DNS zone? If so, it's because you didn't create a delegation for your child domain prior to doing a DCpromo. Because of this, your parent DNS Zone is authoritative for all child domains or anything using that namespace. It therefore just creates a subfolder for your child domain. Remember to create a delegation prior to doing DCPromo on a child.

    If you really want your existing child to be authoritative for its own namespace, you could just install DNS on the child and do something like:

    On parent:
    dnscmd servername /ZoneExport childdomainFQDN /file filename.txt
    Delete Zone
    Create Delegation

    On child:
    Install DNS
    dnscmd servername /ZoneAdd childdomainFQDN /Primary /file filename.txt /load

    Then do all the other good stuff such as changing it to AD Integrated, Secure updates, replication, etc...
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,314 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You'll need to add another zone, stub, or delegation. Child domains don't show up automatically.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    royal wrote:
    Do you see a folder called Tuscon under your parent's DNS zone? If so, it's because you didn't create a delegation for your child domain prior to doing a DCpromo. Because of this, your parent DNS Zone is authoritative for all child domains or anything using that namespace. It therefore just creates a subfolder for your child domain. Remember to create a delegation prior to doing DCPromo on a child.

    If you really want your existing child to be authoritative for its own namespace, you could just install DNS on the child and do something like:

    On parent:
    dnscmd servername /ZoneExport childdomainFQDN /file filename.txt
    Delete Zone
    Create Delegation

    On child:
    Install DNS
    dnscmd servername /ZoneAdd childdomainFQDN /Primary /file filename.txt /load

    Then do all the other good stuff such as changing it to AD Integrated, Secure updates, replication, etc...

    Ah I see. Friggin James didn't even mention you have to delegate! I kind of figured out how to on my own.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    dynamik wrote:
    You'll need to add another zone, stub, or delegation. Child domains don't show up automatically.

    What do you mean by add another zone? I created the child already. Isn't that creating another zone right there?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,353
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    You'll need to add another zone, stub, or delegation. Child domains don't show up automatically.

    What do you mean by add another zone? I created the child already. Isn't that creating another zone right there?

    Just do what I said and you'll be fine. The domain DNS already exists as a domain in your parent zone. So yes, you still have to create a "zone" on your child with a delegation on your parent. Go through the steps I listed to do a "migration" of your information.


    And yes, James never mentions this. I spent about 2-3 days in a lab breaking and fixing my DNS for many hours trying to figure out on my own the correct method for using different DNS setups when working with child domains and different trees. Sounds like fun eh?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    royal wrote:
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    You'll need to add another zone, stub, or delegation. Child domains don't show up automatically.

    What do you mean by add another zone? I created the child already. Isn't that creating another zone right there?

    Just do what I said and you'll be fine. The domain DNS already exists as a domain in your parent zone. So yes, you still have to create a "zone" on your child with a delegation on your parent. Go through the steps I listed to do a "migration" of your information.


    And yes, James never mentions this. I spent about 2-3 days in a lab breaking and fixing my DNS for many hours trying to figure out on my own the correct method for using different DNS setups when working with child domains and different trees. Sounds like fun eh?

    Fun? Yes! Stuff like this is what makes us work better! Welcome to the world of IT! icon_cool.gifcrash.gif
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Mmartin_47 wrote:
    royal wrote:
    Do you see a folder called Tuscon under your parent's DNS zone? If so, it's because you didn't create a delegation for your child domain prior to doing a DCpromo. Because of this, your parent DNS Zone is authoritative for all child domains or anything using that namespace. It therefore just creates a subfolder for your child domain. Remember to create a delegation prior to doing DCPromo on a child.

    How can you delegate a child domain without first creating it? I know if I right click the parent zone (nuggetlab.com) and click new delegation it then asks for the delegated domain. Alright that would be tucson.nuggetlab.com What do I do afterwards?
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,353
    That's all you do for the delegation. What namespace are you delegating and what IP handles the delegation. Done.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    royal wrote:
    That's all you do for the delegation. What namespace are you delegating and what IP handles the delegation. Done.

    OK now when I configure my child domain what options should I select when running dcpromo. I must be doing something wrong because I still get the same results.
  • steppiesteppie Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys,

    I just finished watching this video today and have to say that James did indeed mention that you had to delete the tucson child domain from nuggetlab.com, then create the new zone under Dcnugget3, then later on mentions that in order for nuggetlab.com to see tucson.nuggetlab.com, you had to either create a delegation or stub zone on Dcnugget1 that points to Dcnugget3. His delegation and stub'ing instructions were based on this.

    Either way, appreciate the dnscmd commands mentioned here by royal, those are nice to know.

    Good luck to all in your MCSE adventures...
Sign In or Register to comment.