70-284 Ms Press Book questions...

liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi there!

Just jumped over here from the 70-291 forum after getting the beast out of the way, and I have jumped Straight into exchange 2003...

I'm using CBT nuggets and the MOC 2400 Course book (did the course last year) and finally rhe MS Press 70-284 book.

Just a few questions regarding the book..

1) One of the tasks asks me to rename the first administrative group- but I dont seem to be able to rename it, read else where that you cannot? Is this the case?
2) Also it states that you can move servers between routing groups, again I tried this and no luck, can this be done?

Thanks in advance

Anth

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You need to be in native mode I believe
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    You can't do either. To move servers between Admin groups, you must reinstall Exchange 2003.
    Good luck to all!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Blargoe is correct. You can move servers between administrative groups if you're in native mode. No need to re-install Exchange.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for that,
    I shall raise the level and see if I can get it to work, though the book also mentions that when in mixed mode you can move servers between routing groups that are in the same administrative group, and in native you can move them to routing groups that are different administrative groups.

I have read here that you can move servers between administrative groups:

http://windowsitpro.com/article/articleid/42038/can-i-move-microsoft-exchange-server-systems-between-administrative-groups.html

I'll have to fiddle round with this and find out!
  • liddaneliddane Member Posts: 30 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Oh and thanks for all the replies, didn't see the other replies until after mine had been submitted. Does any one know if there is anywhere I can check for other errors to the book? I'm sure I remember a part of the ms site which highlighted misprints and errors..
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    royal wrote:
    Blargoe is correct. You can move servers between administrative groups if you're in native mode. No need to re-install Exchange.

My brain keeps saying no, that's not correct, but I don't know why. icon_confused.gif

The link above reads:

"No, even in a native Exchange Server 2003 organization, you can't move servers between administrative groups. However, if you're running Exchange in native mode, you can move mailboxes between administrative groups. To work around the inability to move Exchange servers between administrative groups, you can delete the server and recreate it from scratch by performing the following steps: "

I don't think you can move a server between admin groups, but I could very well be wrong.

Are you sure you're not confusing routing groups with admin groups, royal?
    Good luck to all!
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ah yes, you're right. It's between routing groups, not administrative groups.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    I was about to say...

LOL...

I have so much stuff ingrained into my brain about Exchange, there's stuff that I know and don't know how or why I know it. Drives me nuts...

Edit: Wait...the question was to move between routing groups. I read that as admin groups...

I'M GOING INSANE! icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Reading royal's and HeroPsycho's responses to this thread, some famous last words come to mind:
    "Trust me, I'm a professional." icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • donald7862003donald7862003 Member Posts: 128
    Slowhand wrote:
    Reading royal's and HeroPsycho's responses to this thread, some famous last words come to mind:
    "Trust me, I'm a professional." icon_lol.gif

Now thats funny LOL :D
    On the road to MCITP......