Options

RIPv2

errorkenerrorken Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
When working with RIP you declare the network address for which you want to enable it. If subnets of that network happened to be divided over several interfaces, RIP will automatically be enabled on them (exlusion must be done with the passivate interface command).

Question; does this also counts for supernets and/or affiliated subnets ?
Supose I have fa0/1 on net 192.168.1.0 and fa0/2 on net 192.168.2.0.
Adding network '192.168.1.0' as a RIP network will not enable RIP on fa0/2 ?

Second, as I read from the book, RIPv2 (the one discussed in the labs as well) is classless and supports VLSM. However, the configuration of RIPv2 is exactly the same as RIPv1 (besides the 'version' command). When adding a network, you still declare the classfull network without a mask.

Where is the actual difference comming in ?

Comments

• Options
    dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    First question - No. The network command for RIP is expected to be classful

Second Question - The difference is in how the updates are sent, when configured for RIP v2 the subnet mask is carried in the update. You will always use the classful network address in the network command regardless of the version.
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • Options
    VictoriousVictorious Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow!
    Who can explain it better the a CCIE? icon_wink.gif
    Victorious
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Someone with 2+ CCIEs?

Just kidding. Everyone knows I worship DT.
  • Options
    Ok thanks all for the info.
    Got a 2600 to play with today so I hope some real material (sims aren't that great) will sort this out.
  • Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    errorken wrote:
    Ok thanks all for the info.
    Got a 2600 to play with today so I hope some real material (sims aren't that great) will sort this out.

Look at the "GNS3 - Amazing" thread. Get Dynamips/Dynagen...it's a router emulator, meaning it runs real IOS code..so it's not a sim..it's the real deal. A 2600 works too, but after using dynagen, I'll only go back to a real rack once the CCIE comes.
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip! That seems indeed very good, a lot better then the SIM I have here. Lately I was wondering why there was nothing like 'VMware' for IOS images :)

Btw; I tested the RIP stuff with the 2600, and indeed, with v1 the updates are advertised without any mask information. If you switch to v2 and turn off auto summarization you see that the subnetted nets are being advertised.