Options

Studying for 802 CCNA: What is the cheapest SDM router?

penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
After taking the 801, which had no SDM questions on it, I've decided to give the 802 exam a shot. I've already bought the Sybex book and notice a lot of SDM stuff, so I'm wondering what is the cheapest router I can get that runs SDM that isn't one of the expensive ISR routers? An older thread here recommended the 3620. Is that my best bet? How does this one look on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/CISCO-3620-16F-64D-IOS-12-3-19-NM-1E2W_W0QQitemZ230285613073QQihZ013QQcategoryZ11183QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Comments

• Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I took this link from the CCNA FAQ forum. This is the list of Cisco Routers and IOS's that support SDM.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/secursw/ps5318/prod_installation_guide09186a00803e4727.html#wp37069

It looks like the 3620 and IOS version you linked from eBay should support it.

That 3620 is cheaper than my 2610XM's. Those were 125 a piece.

EDIT: After using the Cisco Software Advisor, I don't see SDM listed as a feature for any of the latest IOS's for the 3620...IP PLUS or Enterprise Basic
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Absolute cheapest -- you can run SDM on GNS3/Dynamips if you bind it to an adapter.

Second choice for me would be either 2610XM or a 3640.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    hypnotoad wrote:
    Absolute cheapest -- you can run SDM on GNS3/Dynamips if you bind it to an adapter.

Even cheaper would be just running the SDM Demo icon_wink.gif

I'd have to say get a 2610XM or 3640 if you want something that'll run SDM and also be useful.
  • Options
    skeet2331skeet2331 Member Posts: 87 ■■□□□□□□□□
    You could get a cisco 831 on ebay for like 50. It allows the sdm to run if that is all you are looking for.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote:

Go for dynamips if you cant afford it although it is slightly sluggish but always use hardware if you have it i say.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    OK, so if I had to pass the new CCNA 802 and I needed one router, should I go for the 2610XM or the 3640?
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    personally i would go for the 3600 as im pretty sure you can use it for all the higher certs too, unless someone can correct me?
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    ^ I should also say that I'm going to eventually go for the full CCNP, so perhaps that should factor into my purchasing decision regarding an SDM and/or ISR router.
  • Options
    Evan Lieb wrote:
    ^ I should also say that I'm going to eventually go for the full CCNP, so perhaps that should factor into my purchasing decision regarding an SDM and/or ISR router.
    Get a 3640 or a 2611XM then. The 2611XM is more expensive than the 2610XM but you get an extra ethernet port out of it. Both will be useful going forward.

The 2611XM will have two built in fast ethernet ports + 1 NM slot and be able to run up to 12.4.15T7. You won't be able to run 12.4.20T or above since Cisco dropped support for it.

The 3640 will have 4 NM slots but you'll need to buy/find ethernet NMs for it first and be able to run up to 12.4.21. You won't be able to run 12.4T or above.

You'll most probably not have enough flash inside the router to store SDM along with IOS but you can just run it from your PC so thats not a huge problem.
  • Options
    I have a 2620, would that be able to run SDM with a IOS upgrade?
  • Options
    Evan Lieb wrote:
    I have a 2620, would that be able to run SDM with a IOS upgrade?
    Not supported. It has to be a 2600XM at least for SDM.
  • Options
    ^ Thanks for the help tiersten! Looks like I'm going to go with a 2611XM. Let me know if you think I should be getting anything else for future CCNP labs.
  • Options
    Evan Lieb wrote:
    ^ Thanks for the help tiersten! Looks like I'm going to go with a 2611XM. Let me know if you think I should be getting anything else for future CCNP labs.
    What else you got?
  • Options
    Here's a detailed list for you.

1) 3 x Cisco 2524 routers
    2) 3 x serial 2524 WIC modules
    3) 1 x Cisco 2620 router
    4) 1 x serial 2620 WIC-1T module
    5) 2 x Cisco 2950 switch
    6) 2 x USB-to-DB9 serial adapter
    7) 2 x ACS-2500ASYN (rolled cable, DB9 adapter)
    icon_cool.gif 2 x DB60 DCE/DTE Frame Relay Winchester cables
    9) 3 x DB60 DCE/DTE cables
    10) 5 x 8MB flash (2524), 1 x 16MB flash (2620), 3 x 16MB DRAM (2524)
  • Options
    You won't need it for the CCNA but a L3 switch like a EMI 3550 would be handy for the CCNP.

As for hardware you'll be using for the CCNA, a 2520/2522 or a NM-4A/NM-8A for a 2600/3600 to use as a frame relay switch.

There are some other suggestions in the FAQ sticky at the top of the thread list.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Here is a list of routers that support SDM. The cheapest you could find would probably be the 1720s.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Well, I think I'm going to go cheap and get one 2610XM for $150. The one I want has 128DRAM/32flash with a 12.4 IOS, so I should be fine in terms of being able to fool around with SDM. That and setting up NAT are my only real concerns, since as far as I can tell (and from what I remember) the 801 didn't test you at all on SDM and barely at all on NAT configuration.

tiersten, thanks again, you've been very helpful.
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    Evan Lieb wrote:
    Well, I think I'm going to go cheap and get one 2610XM for $150. The one I want has 128DRAM/32flash with a 12.4 IOS, so I should be fine in terms of being able to fool around with SDM. That and setting up NAT are my only real concerns, since as far as I can tell (and from what I remember) the 801 didn't test you at all on SDM and barely at all on NAT configuration.

tiersten, thanks again, you've been very helpful.

Good choice. I have two 2610XM's. If you shop around on eBay and look for the best offer auctions, you might get a reseller who is willing to sell you a device at the price you want. I had a reseller sell me my two 2610XM's for 125 a piece with $10 shipping each. He simply created a listing on eBay and sent me the links to Buy Them Now. You can also find cheap third party DRAM for the 2610XM's as long as you have the correct ROM version that supports over 128 meg. I've got 256 on one and 192 on the other. I will probably upgrade the Flash to 48 if and when I ever decide to use the latest T IOS.

Have fun!!
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)