Staffing/Temp Agencies Reasoning Behind...

jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
Not enclosing the company that they are hiring for?
They always just say "company" or "client"... Why keep it confidential?
"It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
-Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    jryantech wrote:
    Not enclosing the company that they are hiring for?
    They always just say "company" or "client"... Why keep it confidential?

Because they make money by providing a candidate for the position, if you knew what company you could go around them and try to get the position. That was right from the words of a RHT guy I met with!
  • sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not sure, but my best guess would be to keep potential employees from applying directly to said company thus taking away business.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Also, in my area they have secret government contracts and unless you are going to be seriously considered for hiring, they may not want you to know all of the details... contracting company/federal agency/location/exact job duties.

There are mulitple reasons, but the last poster had it right... so the recruiter can be the middle man and make some cash.
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    So said companies don't have HR departments?
    So they just use or allow these staffing/temp agencies to hire for them?
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • sliptmickeysliptmickey Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:

They may have an HR department, but it may be small or HR doesnt' want to do the leg work to screen and interview...especially in the case of technical jobs. Just depends on the company. Some let temp/headhunters do the leg work for them to weed out unqualified people before they start the whole interview process.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    jryantech wrote:

Some do, some don't. I have done a few short term contracts where there wasn't even an interview. No phone call, just an email that said, "Hey, I saw your resume on such and such site, want to do this job? It pays this." If I replied with yes I was emailed a contract which I would read over, sign and fax or email back. Then show up when and where the contract was for and do the job.

Others I have been similar with just phone interviews and one had a background check, but the company that was receiving the service never interviewed me.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometimes, it's at the request of the company that is doing the hiring. For example, they may not really want it known to the public, or maybe they are looking to replace an existing employee that doesn't know it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...