Options

tftp tutorial?

motherwolfmotherwolf Member Posts: 117
Does anyone have a link to a tftp tutorial for either solarwinds or tftpd32? I'm trying to load an IOS on to a 2501 and can not for the life of me figure out the settings. I'm close, I can ping the router from my PC but can't ping the PC(tftp server) from the router. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have a firewall running on the PC? If you can't ping it, you have something else going on. There's really not much to configure on a tftp server.
  • Options
    Have you seen all the settings you can configure on tftpd32? Anyway, I was thinking the same thing in terms of the firewall. If it is the firewall stopping the ping packets would it also stop the file transfer if its configured correctly? Thanks.
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Ya its pretty much just a matter of having the TFTP server running, as long as there is reachability (which there obviously is not).

Computer and router on the same subnet? How are you connecting them, through a switch? Crossover?
  • Options
    famosbrownfamosbrown Member Posts: 637
    I use Solarwinds and it was pretty straightforward, but ever now and then I have problems due to having multiple NICS. If you are connecting via ethernet, ensure you set a static IP on your NIC that can communicate with the router successfully. It looks like you've done that sinc epings are successful. Next, make sure the correct NIC is selected and being used by solarwinds. Oh, also make sure the TFTP service is started. Check your firewall settings as stated above. I always disconnect my computer from the internet/LAN, then disable my fiewall for TFTP usage.

Another problem I was having were errors when loading the IOS from Flash...remember that TFTP is connectionless (UDP), so it's best effort. make sure during the transfer that you have all !!! and no 000. I kept getting one 0 in the sequence and kept getting errors when loading the IOS. I finally got all !!! successfully and no more errors when booting or using the IOS.

But yeah...if you can't ping from the router to PC, then it is most likely the firewall. I would say that it could be a duplex mismatch, but I don't think you would be able to communicate either way if it was.
    B.S.B.A. (Management Information Systems)
    M.B.A. (Technology Management)
  • Options
    It was my firewall icon_redface.gif

Thanks again guys.