Options

Lost *FOUND!* DB9-to-USB drivers

penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Anyone know where I can get them so I can connect via console port? I'm setting up a new lab with a new computer and wouldn't you know it, the only thing stopping me is this minor DB9 driver. It's a no name brand I'm afraid, absolutely no markings. Previous drivers for this were installed off a CD on an old laptop.

EDIT: Found them. Yes, I am happy.

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Let Windows go online for the driver. If that fails then try the drivers for Prolific or FTDI. It is usually one of those.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    or if it has a serial number and manufacturer name on it you can usuall get success through google search.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    penguinkingpenguinking Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Haha, victory! Tiersten, you are a life saver.
  • Options
    One thing tho. DB-9 is actually referring to the actual physical connector. You can put anything you want down that connector. Its not exclusively for RS232 serial but tends to be.

First letter is the D. Years ago ITT Cannon made a series of plugs. D-subminiature was this series and its D shaped. No idea if that was just a coincidence or what. Its part of some DIN standard now anyway.
    Second letter is actually the size of the plug shell. B is 25 and E is 9. I can't remember what the others were. People started calling the little 9 pin one a DB-9 even though it should have been DE-9.
    Next is the number of actual pins inside it. 9 in this case.

So technically when everybody refers to a DB-9, they're wrong and actually talking about a plug/socket with 9 pins but a shell thats got space for 25. A DB-60 just doesn't make sense if you're talking about it from the actual standard either :)
  • Options
    iwormsiworms Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote:
    One thing tho. DB-9 is actually referring to the actual physical connector. You can put anything you want down that connector. Its not exclusively for RS232 serial but tends to be.
    Kind of like "daylight saving time" vs. "daylight savings time" -- the former is technically correct, but most people use the latter, are never aware of the error, and call you "****" when you correct them.

The truth is out there...
  • Options
    iworms wrote:
    Kind of like "daylight saving time" vs. "daylight savings time" -- the former is technically correct, but most people use the latter, are never aware of the error, and call you "****" when you correct them.
    Meh. I'd prefer to be accurate in this case. The DE-9 connector isn't just for RS-232 serial. Similar to how the RJ45 connector isn't just for ethernet.