Options

70-270 freshman!

ranjitcoolranjitcool Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey Guys!

This is a great place and am glad to be here.

I have read a few posts here only to realize that exam 70-270 is really hard!

I am reading the Exam cram 2 book for the 70-270 and i come with a linux background

have used win xp for a long time but win server rarely.

Could you guys please assist me into what more I need to do to be able to pass the tests. I know I need to have some hands on and other stuff, but would reading the book and understanding the concepts not help ?

What is a realistic time frame I should be looking at before considering ready for the tests ?

Thanks ,
RJ
Cleared Network+, MCTS.
Want to clear - CCSA, CCNA, VCP for now.

Spending time @ www.itgrunts.com - Tech Juice, Not from Concentrate!

Comments

• Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Rj,

I gave myself 6 months for the 70-270. It might seem like over kill but these cert exams can be tricky when you get in there. And you want to pass the first time. (demoralizing to fail these)

I would highly recommend the 70-270 videos from www.cbtnuggets.com if you can afford them. If you can't, then use the ones from www.vtc.com. From there, read the Microsoft Press Windows XP certification book from cover to cover running every lab twice. After that, follow the book up with Exam Cram or Sybex.

I've known people who have been supporting Windows 2000/XP for years who found this test hard so don't take it too lightly.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    Hey there,

thanks for the reply,

wow 6 months is a lot of time!

i am downloading cbt nuggets 70-270 stuff .. (sry i am not rich to pay for iticon_sad.gif )

so wud study from it and also looking into vtc, thanks for that ..

i will keep u posted on how its going, right now i am studying exam cram and wud update it in my signature :D (sounds like a good idea)

the way i look at exam cram is it has 9 chapters with 10 11 and 12 are mock tests.

i am done with the 1st chap dealing with installation of win xp (have to do it on a system or practice it) and now in 2nd unit.

but just letting you know and downloading cbt so hopefully it shud be a good combination

thanks
    rj
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.

• Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Welcome to the forums, glad to have ya.

I gave myself 1 month for this exam. Depends on your experience though. But yes this exam does take a lot of people by surprise. There is SO much that XP can do as you will find out.

Make sure you go through the free technotes on this site as well.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Well, best of luck there man.

Remember that those labs on the exam are complicated in general. The only thing that will get you past that hurdle is doing it for reals. You will see an amazing selection of in the back of the Microsoft book.

As far as installation, don't forget to setup a RIS server (you might have to read ahead for this in the 70-290 books), sysprep images which you should use something like Acronis or Ghost. really is a lot to learn on the 70-270. From my readings that cut the test in half for the Vista exams.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    hey thanks for your replies.

Yes i agree it depends on the experience, and I need to start doing some labs

I would set up vm machines on my laptop and go thru the pain of setting up a server and a client on it.

its a 1gb machine so my server wud suck, my client wud suck, the vm having them would suck and my over all laptop will suck.. but i guess its worth a shot. icon_cool.gif

also i am wondering when u guys say "those labs in the exam" u mean the scenarios ?

you know my main focus is mcse but now i am thinking if 70-270 is so complicated may be i shud opt for the other two options that i have in that section.

what do you guys think ?

its not being a loser its just doing what it takes to get things done :D

thanks
    rj
    Cleared Network+, MCTS.