Fixing co-workers computers for monetary gain

SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
What do you guys think about fixing a co-workers computer, at your house for money?? I am usually all for NOT doing this stuff, but I could use the money. My employer has no problem with it. My only problem is THEY ALWAYS COME BACK! Whenever I have fixed someones computer they always blame you for something else, and I don't need people bugging me at work with that. Any tips? Ideas? Should i just say NO?

Thanks again guys.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Unless you really need the money that badly or want to get a favour from them in return then say no. As you said, once you've touched it then you'll forever be responsible for it.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I wouldn't suggest it because of the reasons you gave us.
    Also it could cause alot more trouble for you at work
    such as rumors and other stupid stuff but we could
    flip the script and say that you could be recommended
    for promoted from what good things people say about you.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Never worth the risk. You are one failed hard drive from some serious hard feelings. What's your background?

If you MUST work on other people's machines, take a full image of their computer before starting.
    -Daniel
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One word ......... NEVER

Keeps me out of trouble. Of course, I work for an IT support company and we are all engineers so I can say that without prejudice icon_lol.gif

As far as my clients go - I occasionally do some small stuff like remove viruses and general tidy ups, but never for money. usually it is - "shout me a meal" or "lets share a bottle of wine" and I will look after things.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • SilentsoulSilentsoul Member Posts: 260
    Yea I figured you guys would agree. Thanks for all the input. Any one with some good stories? lol
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I have a good friend who once used a co-worker to retile her bathroom. (this isn't about technology, but it demonstrates the point of why to not do business with co-workers).

Long story short, my friend's cat decided to go hide inside the bathroom wall while the guy was working. The cat ended up getting tiled inside the wall.

I'm not sure that this is such a bad thing, but my friend thought it was, and tore out quite a bit of the tile to rescue her cat. The bathroom had to be retiled, and there was quite a bit of arguing as to who was at fault and who should pay.

Not that this was in any way her co-workers' fault, but she always blamed him for it, and it made for some uncomfortable situations at work.

MS
  • KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Agree.. simply not worth the risk.

I always just say that once I finish work I ty to give myself a break from computers (not really true) and they can understand that and stop bugging me.
    Kam.
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    Silentsoul wrote:
    What do you guys think about fixing a co-workers computer, at your house for money?? I am usually all for NOT doing this stuff, but I could use the money. My employer has no problem with it. My only problem is THEY ALWAYS COME BACK! Whenever I have fixed someones computer they always blame you for something else, and I don't need people bugging me at work with that. Any tips? Ideas? Should i just say NO?

Thanks again guys.

I used to fix pc's at home for sideline. people will more likely be a bugger about computer problems if their not technically incline. My solution to that is to choose your clients. I always refuse to accept pc repairs from known bugger. I just tell them I'm busy hehe. To compensate for my bad attitude I always give my customers 1 month repair warranty.
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • sprkymrksprkymrk Member Posts: 4,884 ■■■□□□□□□□
    In addition to the posible accusations of "conflict of interest" since I am a DoD contractor and my customers are government emplyees, I agree with all the reasons already given.

The only computer related work I do outside of my normal job is the free stuff for friends/family/church. Since I dont chage for the work, they can't complain. If they do, it's the last time they get any help from me. I refer them to local PC repair shops with good reputations.
    All things are possible, only believe.
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    sprkymrk wrote:
    The only computer related work I do outside of my normal job is the free stuff for friends/family/church. Since I dont chage for the work, they can't complain. If they do, it's the last time they get any help from me. I refer them to local PC repair shops with good reputations.

Same here.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've done random work for friends and family, and usually get a 6 or 12-pack of beer for my troubles :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • supertechCETmasupertechCETma Member Posts: 377
    The barter system is alive and well. icon_cool.gif I am able to swap my services for goods and services from others. You are missing out on some good "favors" if you don't do a little work. It's always good to have someone owe you. icon_wink.gif
    Electronic Technicians Association-International www.eta-i.org
    The Fiber Optic Association www.thefoa.org
    Home Acoustics Alliance® http://www.homeacoustics.net/
    Imaging Science Foundation http://www.imagingscience.com/
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It can be a headache, but if you need the dough, you knead the dough. Meaning, you still gotta eat, and if times are tough, adjust accordingly. I think the service warranty idea is great, that way, its an understood window of responsibility, albeit a small window. Especially if you get the image. That way, if worse comes to worst, just restore on a new drive, and be done.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    Or for example if you repair or build a computer for a complete LAMER. They turn around and are calling you all the time asking you why their DSL won't connect or how to set up a free email account online. Stuff like that really P1$$3$ me off. Thinking you are there 24/7 to support their LAMERNESS for free. Not fond of ID10T errors and PEBCAKs.