Options

VMware Certifications

Is it worth getting one of the VM certs? Does anybody have 1 or is trying to obtain one?
On the road to MCITP......

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The VCP is one of the hottest certs right now.

Astorrs, HeroPsycho, and a few others have it, and I'm going to get mine within a month, hopefully.

Also, we do have a Virtualization forum.
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The one thing to keep in mind about the VCP is attending a VMware sponsored class is a requirement so you are on the hook for about $3500 USD (plus the exam fee). Also a VCP without any experience is going to be "worth" less than one with production VMware experience.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    astorrs wrote:
    The one thing to keep in mind about the VCP is attending a VMware sponsored class is a requirement so you are on the hook for about $3500 USD (plus the exam fee). Also a VCP without any experience is going to be "worth" less than one with production VMware experience.
    icon_eek.gif Fair dinkum, $3500 for a class!! It better be worth it. Is it like a 3 day course or something? Do they really teach you anything or they go on about how VMWare is going to be the next big thing?
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    You need to take the VMware Infrastructure: Install & Configure course and then take a test to qualify as a VCP. It is a 4 day course.

They also have one called Deploy, Secure and Analyse which is another 4 day course but that material isn't on the VCP test.

You can combine both courses together into a single 5 day fast track course because there is overlap between the two courses. It costs more however and you don't gain anything extra in terms of letters after your name for taking the DSA course.

Depending on who you do the fast track course with, you may get a voucher to get a free attempt at an exam.

When I did my VCP fast track training they were still using the two I&C and DSA books. Its combined now which is a lot nicer.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    MobilOne wrote:
    icon_eek.gif Fair dinkum, $3500 for a class!! It better be worth it. Is it like a 3 day course or something? Do they really teach you anything or they go on about how VMWare is going to be the next big thing?

They kept the marketing to a minimum. There's a lot of hands-on exercises as well. I thought it was a good course. Also, mine was only $2995. I'm not sure if it's changed since July.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,029 Admin
    Just a side note: please check out the TechExamsn.net Virtualization forum for more discussions about everything virtualized.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Thank you for the information, gents. I have been thinking of starting on the VCP after my MCSA (I am still 3 tests away though icon_wink.gif ) as at work I am able to dabble in VMware and it seems to be pretty cool to me. But I am going to coax my employer into paying for it.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    You may want to have a read through this thread as well as there is some details about some of our training experiences along with the cert overall: http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=34303
  • Options
    TecShdwTecShdw Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I've been looking into this also. If I do it it will be because it's a requirement for work and they'll pay for it. I've been working with VMWare and virtualization for a while but really am wondering what I'll get out of the classes/certification
    PC Technician Certified - MCSA Server 2003, MCTS-Vista
    My Site - My Forum
  • Options
    njcowboynjcowboy Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am sitting in the vmware VCP class right now. (we are on break)
    The class is 2500 USD. Very pricey, but it is 4 days, 8hours per day.

There is ALOT of hands on.

Just like any other cert, they are only worth what you take out of it. passing the test is not the hard part. Keeping your job when you claim to know something is more difficult.

I am running a 3 server cluster of ESX 3.5 Enterprise attached to a 2TB Fiber channel SAN.
    It is a very nice system
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
    njcowboy wrote:

I am running a 3 server cluster of ESX 3.5 Enterprise attached to a 2TB Fiber channel SAN.
    It is a very nice system

That's excellent, and exactly the type of experience I would like. I hope to be able to afford this sometime soon!
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Cheapest I can find is about 3000. Too bad.