Options

Gmail beta

vistalavistavistalavista Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just noticed that and yet I've been using Gmail for 4 years. How long does it take for a product to lose it's beta status?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Google products are perpetually in beta.
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's so when they lose your data they can say, "sorry this was in beta and nothing was guarenteed". :)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mishra wrote:
    It's so when they lose your data they can say, "sorry this was in beta and nothing was guarenteed". :)
    Yup, this is a common problem with Google. I laugh everytime I here someone suggest a Google Application (Google Docs for example) could be an effective alternative for business (to MS Office lets say).

Its been suggested that at any one time ~10% of Google's apps are broken, would you like to base your business on those numbers - I sure wouldn't.
  • Options
    gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    or when there's privacy issues. i remember gmail wasn't fully ssl for quite some time
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    gojericho0 wrote:
    or when there's privacy issues. i remember gmail wasn't fully ssl for quite some time
    Only recently within the last few weeks has gmail offered you the ability to have a fully secured SSL connection without manually editing the URL.

Everything Google does is pretty much in beta forever because they're constantly messing about with it. As Mishra said, if at the end of the day it blows up then they'll just turn around and go yeah well... it was in beta sorry. It also means that they can discontinue something with little notice.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I only use gmail for my **** account - no way in a million years would I let them look at anything personal icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    RussS wrote:
    I only use gmail for my **** account - no way in a million years would I let them look at anything personal icon_wink.gif

Who do you use then hotmail lmao :D
    Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hell no - I am my own ISP and host my own mail icon_wink.gif
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007