Options

times-a-runnin out

dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
Well... Kind of... My CCENT exam is coming up on the 30th. I feel confident but then when I start doing more review, I start doubting myself.

I popped in the CD that came in with Odom's ICND1 book and I loaded the Boson Exam Engine... I was bummed to see the demo test only had about 5-12 questions.

This has probably been asked a billion times but should I buy that $129 Boson exam? I know that it costs more than the actual exam but I figured it might be cool to have this 180 question exam that I can take over and over. I was wondering if the Boson Exam included Simlets like the real one does or is it just multi-choice/drag-n-drop... I looked over the information on it and it didn't really point out anything indicated there were simlets in it.

Thanks,
Nervous-LoosingSleep-ThinkingOfRescheduling

Comments

• Options
    nicklauscombsnicklauscombs Member Posts: 885
    if you can afford it go for it! it has a really similar feel to the actual exam plus they have a money back offer if you fail the test twice i think, make sure you read all the rules on that so you can take advantage should that happen

relax and remember the second chance offer is going on, good luck! :D
    WIP: IPS exam
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Rescheduling isn't a big deal. I push mine back every week. At least I did, until I forgot about it.

I usually use Transcender, but I didn't think too highly of it for this exam.

I haven't used the Boson exam, so I can't advise you there. Don't worry about it so much. The second chance offer is still going to be in effect for awhile, so you can get a free retake if you don't pass for some reason. I'm always nervous before I take an exam, no matter how well I prepare. I usually wait until I get to a point where I'm sick of studying and just take the plunge.
  • Options
    LBC90805LBC90805 Member Posts: 247
    ddzierzek wrote:
    Well... Kind of... My CCENT exam is coming up on the 30th. I feel confident but then when I start doing more review, I start doubting myself.

I popped in the CD that came in with Odom's ICND1 book and I loaded the Boson Exam Engine... I was bummed to see the demo test only had about 5-12 questions.

This has probably been asked a billion times but should I buy that $129 Boson exam? I know that it costs more than the actual exam but I figured it might be cool to have this 180 question exam that I can take over and over. I was wondering if the Boson Exam included Simlets like the real one does or is it just multi-choice/drag-n-drop... I looked over the information on it and it didn't really point out anything indicated there were simlets in it.

Thanks,
    Nervous-LoosingSleep-ThinkingOfRescheduling

I don't know what version of the ICND1 book you have. But mine came with a BOSON exam that has a full compliment of test questions.

Also do not spend money on practice exams. That money would be better spent on taking the exam.

Further more, I find the BOSON exams to be poor when compared to the actual test.
  • Options
    Hello,

I purchased the ICND1&2 Barnes and Nobel boxset in October of 2007. It has a bunch of questions in a PDF but they are more like Q&A instead of an actual exam simulator.

It did have a part on the CD that linked me to Boson's site to download the sample exam but it was only a few questions long.

I tried the Transcender demo and I didn't really like it. I just figured I could use the Boson Exam to practice over and over in between reviewing the book materials.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    Rescheduling isn't a big deal. I push mine back every week. At least I did, until I forgot about it.

I usually use Transcender, but I didn't think too highly of it for this exam.

I haven't used the Boson exam, so I can't advise you there. Don't worry about it so much. The second chance offer is still going to be in effect for awhile, so you can get a free retake if you don't pass for some reason. I'm always nervous before I take an exam, no matter how well I prepare. I usually wait until I get to a point where I'm sick of studying and just take the plunge.

Ok... at risk of sounding like an idiot, what is this 2nd-chance-for-free thing you speak of? It's probably all over Cisco's site but I didn't see it.

Thanks,
    Dale
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Read all about it here.

Basically you get a free second shot at the exam if you fail. You can not use any discounts with it though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Read all about it here.

Basically you get a free second shot at the exam if you fail. You can not use any discounts with it though.

Holy Toledo! I am so gonna do that... that is... if I don't pass on the 30th...which I will...I hope.
    Thank you all for the input, that changes everything right now!!!

:)
  • Options
    ChuuChuu Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just a warning, read the terms carefully. It might be too late to jump on the 2nd chance offer, I'm pretty sure the retake period for the CCNA is 180 days, and I think the 2ndchance coupon requires the 2nd test to be taken by Oct. 15.

Not 100% sure. I swore the retake period was 2 weeks but was corrected by someone whose job it is to know.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Chuu wrote:
    I'm pretty sure the retake period for the CCNA is 180 days
    That's when you pass an exam -- so you wouldn't need (or be eligible) for the Second Chance.

When you fail, it's still a 5 day "cooling off period" between retests.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!