When did you first touch a computer and why?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Let's find out the most 'long-term' computer geek. For desert, please also tell us the computer specs and your initital reaction to make it a full meal :). Here is mine.

When: Nov. 1991

Why: To learn WordPerfect 5.0

PC specs: IBM 286, 20 MB HD, a greenish small screen, red power button

Reaction: Love at first sight :)

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I think the first computer I touched was an Epson. But it may have been a Mac at my father's university that he teaches at. I can't remember which came first but it would be sometime in the 80's.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • CorySCoryS Member Posts: 208
    9th grade so around 13-14ish? My friend was telling me about online text based games (MUDs) for anyone that may know... I got completely hooked, spent 900 hours one summer playing and romping around on linux boxes playing with C and C++... Been hooked ever since and I am 24 now.

The PCs I used then were either from the Library or my buddies house while I waited to convice my parents for the interweb!

I FEEL LIKE SUCH A GEEK!
    MCSE tests left: 294, 297 |
  • jbrown414jbrown414 Member Posts: 230
    We had a Tandy 1000 when I was a kid. I can't tell you the exact date. It's sole purpose was to play games.
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113

Starcraft

running on a Packard Bell with Juno for my ISP.....all i remember
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Spectrum ZX81, with the extra 16k RAM pack on the back ;) - Around 1983 I think and I was around 6 years old. I remember that you had to set the volume control just right on the tape recorder you used to load games/programs otherwise the game wouldn't load, and when it did it'd hang after about 20 minutes no matter what game you were playing (memory leak? lol).

Best computer I ever owned - you could spill anything on it and just wipe it off the flat keyboard. yes, it was completely useless and I often spent hours typing lines of basic code in to make the screen flash only for it to reboot and lose everything, but I just didn't care. I still have it as well :D

However my nephew could write C# scripts at 3 (well not really, but you know what I mean) and I don't think I've ever beaten him on any xbox or playstation game - kids these days icon_eek.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Playing Carmen Sandiego as a kid is my first memory on the computer.

Don't remember any sort of specs or anything, but it was late 80's early 90's time frame.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mikka07mikka07 Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It had to be around 1990 and it was an Apple. Not sure of the specs as I was in the 4th grade in a computer lab. Oh how I miss Number/Word Munchers and the Oregon trail! icon_lol.gif
    Oregon trail, those were the days.

We had all the early Sierra games. Kings quest, space quest, police quest, etc.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I first officially touched a computer back when my brother got a Commodore 64 for his birthday, but I didn't really start learning about computers until 1995, when my jr. high school rolled out brand-spankin' new Windows 95 machines in every classroom, as well as a pretty sizable lab in the library. Why did I put my fingers to the keyboard? The first computer: to play games; the second computer(s), to play games and surf the internet for pr0n. (Ah, the good ol' days, before regulations and web-monitoring. icon_lol.gif )

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□

Why: My dad sent it to me as a gift.

Specs: IBM PC Jr.

Reaction: This doesn't work...

Damn thing never worked and me being so young had no clue why it didn't work. Didn't stop me from playing with it every once and a while to try and make it do something, but at 5 there isn't much I could do...

Why: To play Wolfenstein 3D

Specs: IBM Model 80, 386SX. 2MB RAM, 120MB hard drive, the best big red power switch ever and a clicky keyboard!

I was 9 and it was the first WORKING computer my dad gave me. First thing he showed me was how to play Wolf 3D and I was hooked. Since he lived in CA and I in OH after he gave it to me and showed me how to turn it on, get to Wold 3d and then do a back-up to the tape drive I was on my own.

When he gave it to me he also said, "I have hidden some files on there and when you are old enough I will show you how to get to them." Not knowing what it was he hid and wanting to find them lit a fire under me. Two weeks later I found them. He had also given me some old IBM DOS 2.0 books at the same time. Using those I learned how to get around and learned attrib... A few months later I got suspended from school for selling computer based p0rn at school... Yes he hid p0rn on the computer. When I called him and told him I found it and got suspended he busted out laughing and said he never imagined I would find them so quickly.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Commodore 64 in 1989 an aunt gave it to me, they probably didn't had an idea what it was, I was a 3rd or 4th grade I think, and started playing around programming, didn't even know what language it is but it's my 1st time learning "IF Else Then Statement".

http://www.tietokonemuseo.net/koneita/commodore642.jpg

Then played around this in 1991:

286 Computer

Some Details CPU: Intel 80286 at 8 MHz clock speed.

Memory: 4 MB in RAM, 256 KB in ROM?? (Phoenix Bios)

Screen Resolution: 80x25 text mode monochrome (orange) monitor

Storage Device: 40 MB hard drive, 360 KB 5-1/4" floppy drive.

This is where it all begun, this are the goodtimes...
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    A TRS-80 Model 1 at a Radio Shack with a computer center and a Commodore Pet at a store in a mall--both in 1977. I was damn curious was the reason I touched them; my reaction was basically to start writing BASIC code (that was BASICally all you could do with them).
    Slowhand wrote:
    to play games and surf the internet for pr0n. (Ah, the good ol' days, before regulations and web-monitoring. icon_lol.gif )

I think I just figured out why your name is Slowhand. icon_lol.gif
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote:
    A TRS-80 Model 1 at a Radio Shack with a computer center and a Commodore Pet at a store in a mall--both in 1977. I was damn curious was the reason I touched them; my reaction was basically to start writing BASIC code (that was BASICally all you could do with them).

Nice JD this is infact old skool ;) the commodore 64 plugs into a television as far as I remember... but this one has it's own monitor already?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jbrown414 wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:
    to play games and surf the internet for pr0n. (Ah, the good ol' days, before regulations and web-monitoring. icon_lol.gif )

Sorehand more like...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Apple IIe. Family had it, along with a few later later Apples. The first PC we got for "education reasons" was an IBM PS/1 (486DX2 with 16mb or RAM).
  • roswaldroswald Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I couldn't remember the name, but I just figured out that it was a TI-99/4A.

I remember playing an awesome game called "Hunt the Wumpus" when I was a little kid. I can still hear the theme song in my head.

After that it was an Apple IIe, then a Macintosh Performa. I loved the Number Munchers, Oregon trail, and after that I was hooked.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    High School January 1984

To learn BASIC

I can't remember a thing about the class.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • cbigbrickcbigbrick Member Posts: 284
    High School January 1984

To learn BASIC

I can't remember a thing about the class.
    And in conclusion your point was.....???

Don't get so upset...it's just ones and zeros.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,078 Admin
    jbaello wrote:
    Nice JD this is infact old skool ;) the commodore 64 plugs into a television as far as I remember... but this one has it's own monitor already?
    Yes, and a printer too. And even a simple speech synthesizer in the later models. Radio Shack was pretty cool in those days.

The Commodore C64 was released in 1982 at a price of $600 for the base unit. I had several friends who saved every penny they had to buy one. Fedco was the only store in SoCal that sold them. I never had any interest in programming the C64, but the games were fun. Several of those friends went on to become Commodore Amiga fanboys, but I completely missed that bandwagon.
  • TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Wolfienstien 3D.

Played over Modem Direct Link with a friend in the early 90's on a P133.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Some x286 & Commodore 64s in the mid 80's. Don't remember any real details, they were school computers.

Didn't get a computer at home for years, until practically everyone I knew already had one - but she was a doozy at the time... 486 DX 33Mhz, ~4MB RAM (don't remember) and a CD-ROM drive (oh yeah, single speed baby! - Microsoft Bookshelf 2.0 and all); late 1990/early 1991 I think.
    Dont forget Larry the Lounge Lizard!
    TechJunky wrote:
    Dont forget Larry the Lounge Lizard!

Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards

One of the best games ever!
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
    Man. back then Sierra was the gaming company. I remember trying to guess the questions Leisure Larry asked you to verify how old you were before playing the game.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    jbrown414 wrote:
    Man. back then Sierra was the gaming company. I remember trying to guess the questions Leisure Larry asked you to verify how old you were before playing the game.
    Nobody ever told you about the trick to bypass those? I think it was something like Ctrl X or Ctrl Alt X and it just let you straight through...
    tiersten wrote:
    jbrown414 wrote:
    Nobody ever told you about the trick to bypass those? I think it was something like Ctrl X or Ctrl Alt X and it just let you straight through...

The verification system could be skipped by pressing Alt-X in episode one, or Ctrl-Alt-X in episode three.
    Doh! That would have saved me hours of learning who America's Presidents were.

I guess it was a good lesson learned. =)
  • learningtofly22learningtofly22 Member Posts: 159
    tiersten wrote:
    jbrown414 wrote:

The verification system could be skipped by pressing Alt-X in episode one, or Ctrl-Alt-X in episode three.

up, down, up, down, b, a, b, a, start.

I thought the first one we had was an apple II Unicorn, but after googling, I think I just made it up. Played Oregon trail and if anyone can remember the name of the oriental trading game with ships, that would be great.
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    tiersten wrote:
    jbrown414 wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

Sorehand more like...
    Slowhand came about when I wasn't surfing the web. That cute redhead in my math class had something to do with the name. icon_king.gif The sorehand part, well, that was for the rest of the time. . . icon_cry.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.