My way of making money!

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Well I started this last summer for a few bucks but now I need money for college,gas and food ect ect ect... Heres what Ill be using.

Craigslist: (simple dont rly edit much) http://flint.craigslist.org/cps/803878417.html

Flyer:flyer5nt9.jpg

Tell me what you think. I am pretty well known in the area so I have a few customers already. Tell me what you guys think.
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are you doing your taxes as a self employed business owner as well? Remember if you start excepting cheques rather than cash in hand your bank will get suspicious. I did something like this at college but could only expect cash in hand.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    This is something I would like to do.

Debating if I should start a website. I don't know a lot about website design though. (basic HTML & XHTML & some CSS).

Looks good though.

I have no idea what to call my "business though" icon_redface.gif
  • pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
    Hrm? So tax wise what legal stuff do I have to look for? Like Ive havnt done taxes before.[/b]
  • scheistermeisterscheistermeister Member Posts: 748 ■□□□□□□□□□
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Hrm? So tax wise what legal stuff do I have to look for? Like Ive havnt done taxes before.[/b]

You will get hammered on "Self Employment Tax"... That is the part I hate about being self employed, but I still do it. I do get to write off tech related things and all the stuff for one of my cars as "business expenses".

Forgot to mention. If you make under $3000 (I think that is the number, check the IRS site for specific details) you don't have the self employment tax.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    Let me get this straight. So you do IT support, but you run your site on an ad-supported server?

Get those cheap plans $3.99/month and first create your 'own' site.
    binarysoul wrote:
    Let me get this straight. So you do IT support, but you run your site on an ad-supported server?

Get those cheap plans $3.99/month and first create your 'own' site.

....If I had money I would do it... but I dont so thus the business! Plus Im not that savvy in web design its not like my site has noticable ads
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Cool stuff. And just a suggestion:
    # Just Contact me if you cant find what your looking for

Your = You're.

I'm not trying to be the grammar police here, just don't want you to lose an opportunity. I've heard of several people who have been passed up on opportunities due to really basic spelling/grammar mistakes in their English. Wouldn't want to lose out on $$$ for such a simple thing eh?
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
    Anyone run a IT Support business who wants to give me a few pointers? icon_thumright.gif
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    Good for you, good luck with the business. My brother is doing something similar on the side and making some nice cash. Established companies are charging big bucks for basic virus and spyware removal, not to mention other basic services. There is a big market for this, a lot of older folks are getting into these technologies with no idea how to use and maintain them.

royal wrote:
    Cool stuff. And just a suggestion:
    # Just Contact me if you cant find what your looking for

Your = You're.

I'm not trying to be the grammar police here, just don't want you to lose an opportunity. I've heard of several people who have been passed up on opportunities due to really basic spelling/grammar mistakes in their English. Wouldn't want to lose out on $$$ for such a simple thing eh?

Great simple advice. I am one of the jerks that wouldn't hire him because of that, it is one of my pet peeves! :D

Proofread, spell and grammar check... because either you aren't smart enough to write well or you don't care enough to check your writing. Both are bad.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    In relation to this thread, make sure that you give them a clear idea about what you're responsible for and what if any future changes you'll do for them.
    Yeah thanks for that grammar error, Its hard catching small things like that, so thanks.
    tiersten wrote:
    In relation to this thread, make sure that you give them a clear idea about what you're responsible for and what if any future changes you'll do for them.

What do you mean by future changes?
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Way to many people do this... Most if not all of your customers will be people you know. Geeksquad and Firedog have a choke hold on this basic computer/network stuff. Even Staples is having to revamp there "Easy Tech" system.

I mean I remember a post by yourself trying to get a job at Firedog.

Best advice I can give you is cheap prices and offer something new.

Good luck.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • Danny_1983Danny_1983 Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good luck mate, i dont the same thing a little while ago and picked up a few bits of work (cash in hand of course icon_wink.gif )

I done a basic website and hosted it on a free hosting site so didnt have to pay for that and printed 50 business cards from a internet store...be surprised how much that works!

Good luck...

and for reference here is my site, dont laugh to much!

http://athomesystems.awardspace.com/

Yes i know the opening line is "computer support company" but it was a quick job...the text needs politically editing...
  • dtlokeedtlokee Member Posts: 2,378 ■■■■□□□□□□
    my website will be at
    www.oceanstatecomputer.com icon_cool.gif

Needs more content, possibly a phone number icon_wink.gif
    The only easy day was yesterday!
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    pLuhhmm wrote:

Don't fret.

Keep track of your income and your expenses. Set 1/4 of your income aside for taxes each quarter (yes, quarter not per year). If you don't you will pay and pay dearly many times more then what you should have paid.

You can start a separate checking, but that isn't necessary early on.

Sit down with a good accountant and they can advise you BEFORE you create a big mess. Dave Ramsey's website likely has an Endorsed Local Provider in your area who will teach you how to do this best way.

I'm going to agree with LarryDaMan on the grammar issue. It is one thing to have a typo on a forum from time to time, but it is horrible to use lower case 'i' instead of the proper I or other spelling errors, and even WORSE on business correspondence.
    It looks like the person just doesn't care about their own work and that will be how they handle the job, so I too will pass over someone with mispelled business info.

(one of my biggest annoyances....Pier-to-Pier in stead of Peer-to-Peer, was almost funny the first time, but considering how frequently I see this today, it is very sad icon_sad.gif ).
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Plantwiz wrote:
    (one of my biggest annoyances....Pier-to-Pier in stead of Peer-to-Peer, was almost funny the first time, but considering how frequently I see this today, it is very sad icon_sad.gif ).
    IP over boat carriers? You got a RFC number for that? :D
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    tiersten wrote:
    Plantwiz wrote:
    IP over boat carriers? You got a RFC number for that? :D

The first I saw that I thought it was a joke, but it was a real guy trying to sell IT service and saying he did 'peer-to-peer' support icon_lol.gif (or in his case dock to dock :P ) I've seen it several more times on various website and even newspaper ads. Pretty sad. IMO
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
    lol hmm pier 2 pier that market is wide open!

Yeah I do realize that this market it crowded but I figure even if I get one customer a month its made me some money :D Taxes FTL -_- Also from what Ive seen for my area on craigslist there arent many postings in this area and the few there are they are VERY unprofessional, personally I think mine is pretty good, Ive reviewed my ads and spelled check the few minor errors you guys pointed out(thx by the way I hate bad grammar expect in forums!).

Now, were does everyone think I should post my flyers at? I'm gonna post one @ my college and look around at local grocery stores, were else is a good spot?? And what do you guys think of ripping one of the flyer tabs off before I post them so people think "Gee someone else is using this guy maybe I'll give it a try!" I know when I see flyers with a few tabs gone I at least take a quick glance.
    dtlokee wrote:
    my website will be at

I'm working on it. It's hard to work on it while I have full time work, full time college & full time girlfriend! icon_lol.gif
    Heres the game plan you take the RI area Ill take the MI area ;p
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    The website can look good if you just add your information, services and an Open Source Trouble Ticket App icon_lol.gif
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    dtlokee wrote:
    my website will be at

I'm working on it. It's hard to work on it while I have full time work, full time college & full time girlfriend! icon_lol.gif

You have to drop one, man. Or the full time job, college, or girl icon_rolleyes.gif

I can see you with gray hair very soon.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%