Options

WGU Student Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    I'm starting the Network Design and Management degree next week.

A couple questions for current/past students:

How easy is it to add additional courses to your AAP (I think that's the term they use) if you finish all the courses originally chosen?

Does it really take two weeks to schedule assessments?

If so, can you work on other courses if you're done studying for one and just waiting to take the assessment?

I just the Network Design & Management program on 8/1, and here's what I've picked up:

1) I haven't gotten there, yet, but it is possible to add additional courses to your AAP. You'll be assigned around 12 credits worth of classes to start with, and if you finish those, you can pick up more. All WGU students are considered full time, and you have to complete a certain percentage of your attempted credits, so they don't start you off with a high number of credits right away.

2) Assessments are primarily determined by the availability of Prometric testing facilities in your area. You'll also need to submit a passing score on one of the practice exams (ExamForce) WGU provides before your mentor will order your voucher.

I'm lucky in that I live in Atlanta, and I have a Prometric center that is open 7 days a week and accepts walk ins. I met the WGU requirements for taking my first assessment this past Monday, told my mentor I was ready, and she signed me up for a voucher that night. I received the voucher code on Wednesday, and I walked in to the Prometric center on Friday. I walked out about 30 minutes later having completed my first course.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bwcarty wrote: »
    I just the Network Design & Management program on 8/1, and here's what I've picked up:

1) I haven't gotten there, yet, but it is possible to add additional courses to your AAP. You'll be assigned around 12 credits worth of classes to start with, and if you finish those, you can pick up more. All WGU students are considered full time, and you have to complete a certain percentage of your attempted credits, so they don't start you off with a high number of credits right away.

2) Assessments are primarily determined by the availability of Prometric testing facilities in your area. You'll also need to submit a passing score on one of the practice exams (ExamForce) WGU provides before your mentor will order your voucher.

I'm lucky in that I live in Atlanta, and I have a Prometric center that is open 7 days a week and accepts walk ins. I met the WGU requirements for taking my first assessment this past Monday, told my mentor I was ready, and she signed me up for a voucher that night. I received the voucher code on Wednesday, and I walked in to the Prometric center on Friday. I walked out about 30 minutes later having completed my first course.

Feel free to PM me if you have more questions.

Thanks for the reply, good information.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just to dust off an old thread, I begin my classes next month.

icon_study.gif B.S. in IT: Network Design and Management
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294

Congrats! I think you'll enjoy it. I know I am. I just finished ISC4, which means 22 classes down, and 10 more to go! I started on August 1, 2008. I think I'll finish before this year is over.
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    spigetyspigety Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□

Good luck! We have the same degree emphasis.

Edit: I just started in November of 2009, so I've only completed 14 credits so far.
  • Options
    Lots of Network Design and Management majors here...anyone else have Ann Jacobsen for their mentor?

I'm in my last month of my first semester - 31 credits completed since August 09 and 58 more to go. I'll be ready to knock out another 6 credit class as soon as I my next semester officially starts, so I'm well on target to graduate a year from now.
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • Options
    ajmatsonajmatson Member Posts: 289
    I just completed my intake interview and sent my transcripts. Now just waiting to hear back about my loans and if all goes good I will be starting the B.S. in Network Design & Management in March :) I am stoked. Coming from the crappy University of Phoenix I can't wait to actually start learning again.
    Working on currently:
    Masters Degree Information Security and Assurance (WGU) / Estimated 06/01/2016
    Next Up: CCNP Routing Exam | Certified Ethical Hacker Exam
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    7lowe wrote: »
    Please update us if you start the MS. I am getting my BAS: Network Security and Forensics from another school and was considering doing this next.

My program starts today! I am scheduled to have my first mentor call tomorrow regarding the new program. The only disappointment so far is that I am required to take the EWB (1 credit intro to online learning) course again. Thankfully this only took me 2 hours to complete last time and my understanding is that it is to serve as a "refresher" for returning students.

I'll post more information after the call and periodically give feedback on the program. I am actually somewhat excited about working on the advanced leadership and GIAC7799 courses as part of the program.
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    down77 wrote: »
    My program starts today! I am scheduled to have my first mentor call tomorrow regarding the new program. The only disappointment so far is that I am required to take the EWB (1 credit intro to online learning) course again. Thankfully this only took me 2 hours to complete last time and my understanding is that it is to serve as a "refresher" for returning students.

I'll post more information after the call and periodically give feedback on the program. I am actually somewhat excited about working on the advanced leadership and GIAC7799 courses as part of the program.

Good luck! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :)
  • Options
    My program starts today!

Tell us how it goes, and good luck! My undergrad class is being pushed back by a few months unfortunately.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    Just waiting on Project+ results to come in before I enroll. With the new job its likely I can pay for most or all of WGU in cash. :D
  • Options
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    Just waiting on Project+ results to come in before I enroll. With the new job its likely I can pay for most or all of WGU in cash. :D

Nice! I will be able to have mine paid within a week as well when I move from contractor to full employee icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    cablegod wrote: »
    Good luck! I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel :)

Sounds like an early Congrats is in order! If you haven't already, reach out to Dr. Vance regarding Tech Writing, Capstone, and Portfolio... he is a wonderful resource and I have yet to hear anything but praise and thanks from his assistance.

Veritas - The most important thing is that you've still made your mind up to pursue the degree. I had to postpone my start as well and still finished in a respectable amount of time.

Hyper-Me - Awesome man! I actually enjoyed the project management courses as well as the IT Management sections of the curriculum.

I did get some good news during lunch regarding the MS:ISA... I am no longer required to take the EWB course since I had it during undergrad! This will save me 1 credit and I may substitute another course in place of this requirement.
  • Options
    Semester 2 starts tonight. I avoided everything dealing with TaskStream in the previous term, so now I'm looking at a bunch of performance assessments. I'm hoping they won't slow me down too much.
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    My 3rd and hopefully last term started today. All I have to do this term is the 4 English courses and that capstone project.
  • Options
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    My 3rd and hopefully last term started today. All I have to do this term is the 4 English courses and that capstone project.

Congrats. How has it been studying so far. Is the program everything you expected?
    Working on currently:
    Cisco Lab: ASA 5506-X, GNS3, 1x 2801 Router, 1x 2650XM, 1x 3750-48TS-E switch, 2x 3550 EMI Switches and 1x 2950T swtich.
    Juniper Lab: 1x SRX100H2, 1x J2320 (1GB Flash/1GB RAM, JunOS 11.4R7.5), and 4 JunOS Firefly vSRX Routers in VMWare ESXi 5.1
  • Options
    bwcarty wrote: »
    Semester 2 starts tonight. I avoided everything dealing with TaskStream in the previous term, so now I'm looking at a bunch of performance assessments. I'm hoping they won't slow me down too much.

I avoided taskstream in the beginning as well. I've found they're not too terrible, except for MQTA (which is now called something else). They were very picky on those 13 tasks, but then again, I'm glad it isn't a cakewalk either.
  • Options
    AITP (Association of Information Technology Professionals) is a non-profit organization for current and aspiring Information Technology Professionals. It consists of about 200 local chapters nationwide and has nearly the same amount of Student Chapters at various colleges.

The purpose and limitations of the AITP are listed as follows:

1.01 To develop a better understanding of the nature and functions of information technology.

1.02 To promote sound general principles in information technology and to study technical methods with a
    view to their improvement.

1.03 To study equipment related to information technology.

1.04 To disseminate generally, by all appropriate means, all fundamentally sound principles and methods of
    information technology.

1.05 To supply to its members information of the most current methods, and assist them in solving their
    individual problems.

1.06 To foster among students a better understanding of the vital business role of information technology, the
    proper relationship of information technology to management and the necessity for a professional attitude
    among information technology professionals in their approach to an understanding and application of the
    principles underlying the science of information technology.

As students, we derive many benefits from forming an AITP chapter here at WGU. Firstly, student members receive a very large discount for AITP membership, only $25, in comparison to professional membership dues of $150. If our chapter can learn to thrive transcontinentally online via conference calls, e-mails and WGU community forums, we will be able to fulfill the intent of the organization. Please note: Company's such as Microsoft and Emerson seek out future employees through AITP and many affiliated vendors offer discounts to members. If you are interested in joining or helping me begin a chapter here at WGU, please express your interest. In order to submit a completed application, WGU needs 10 or more students willing to join upon acceptance.

If this interests you, please PM me or email me Richard at rraines@my.wgu.edu. For more information, please visit Association of Information Technology Professionals -- AITP.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□

I started this month as well. Are you in the MSISA program also? I'm finding it difficult to get back in the study groove again. It's only been since August 09 when I finished my bachelor's but I've got a lot of heavy stuff going on in the personal life right now which is making it difficult to keep focused.

Best of luck to you, at least EWB is pretty straightforward :D
  • Options
    AITP (Association of Information Technology Professionals) is a non-profit organization for current and aspiring Information Technology Professionals. It consists of about 200 local chapters nationwide and has nearly the same amount of Student Chapters at various colleges.

1.01 To develop a better understanding of the nature and functions of information technology.

1.02 To promote sound general principles in information technology and to study technical methods with a

1.04 To disseminate generally, by all appropriate means, all fundamentally sound principles and methods of
    information technology.

1.05 To supply to its members information of the most current methods, and assist them in solving their
    individual problems.

1.06 To foster among students a better understanding of the vital business role of information technology, the
    proper relationship of information technology to management and the necessity for a professional attitude
    among information technology professionals in their approach to an understanding and application of the

As students, we derive many benefits from forming an AITP chapter here at WGU. Firstly, student members receive a very large discount for AITP membership, only $25, in comparison to professional membership dues of $150. If our chapter can learn to thrive transcontinentally online via conference calls, e-mails and WGU community forums, we will be able to fulfill the intent of the organization. Please note: Company's such as Microsoft and Emerson seek out future employees through AITP and many affiliated vendors offer discounts to members. If you are interested in joining or helping me begin a chapter here at WGU, please express your interest. In order to submit a completed application, WGU needs 10 or more students willing to join upon acceptance.

If this interests you, please PM me or email me Richard at rraines@my.wgu.edu. For more information, please visit Association of Information Technology Professionals -- AITP.

I would be interested if we can get the number of members needed ;)
    Working on currently:
  • Options
    ajmatson wrote: »
    I would be interested if we can get the number of members needed ;)

Were looking to get about 6 more interested students.
  • Options
    I started this month as well. Are you in the MSISA program also? I'm finding it difficult to get back in the study groove again. It's only been since August 09 when I finished my bachelor's but I've got a lot of heavy stuff going on in the personal life right now which is making it difficult to keep focused.

Best of luck to you, at least EWB is pretty straightforward :D

Thank you and good luck to you as well! I also started this month and did not have to take EWB since I was a returning student. I understand how hard it can be to focus, especially since it seems like I do not get enough un-interrupted time to concentrate on the materials these last few days. I plan to spend a bit of time either at starbucks or a location where I can hopefully get some quiet time. I was actually able to talk my mentor into letting me sign up for the first 2 exams, though he let me know I could not add anything else until the leadership course had been completed. This should be fun!

I'll be blogging my experience as a graduate student with WGU... mostly so that I can use some of the notes as study material or help others with fun bits of information learned in the coursework!
  • Options
    Be sure to give us the hyperlink when you start.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□

information technology.

individual problems.

Hello
    What is the differences between the http://www.acm.org/Association for Computing Machinery Association For Computer Machinery, and the Association of Information Technology Professionals – AITP? Note I already belong to the ACM, but I’m thinking of also joining the AITP at the student level.
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    At WGU, if you bomb a pre-assessment for a course, you have to do paperwork then take another assessment? Is that how it works?

I want to understand the coursework process a bit better-- I'm thinking about enrolling this fall.
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    At WGU, if you bomb a pre-assessment for a course, you have to do paperwork then take another assessment? Is that how it works?

I want to understand the coursework process a bit better-- I'm thinking about enrolling this fall.

Not really. I've taken many assessments without ever taking the pre-assessment for the course. Every mentor is different from what I've seen. Some require the pre-assessment and some don't.
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    cablegod wrote: »
    Not really. I've taken many assessments without ever taking the pre-assessment for the course. Every mentor is different from what I've seen. Some require the pre-assessment and some don't.

So how would a math course like QLC1 work? You take the assessment, and if you bomb, they have you do assignments? Or simply hand you the study material and tell you to come back when ready? (And are there any tutoring resources available??)

Thanks for the answers, btw. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I should hopefully be starting in March. :)icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    petedude wrote: »
    So how would a math course like QLC1 work? You take the assessment, and if you bomb, they have you do assignments? Or simply hand you the study material and tell you to come back when ready? (And are there any tutoring resources available??)

Thanks for the answers, btw. . .

If you fail the assessment, you go back and study until you can pass the preassessment, then take the real deal. They have learning communities that can help with your problem area(s).