Comments

• Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    I should hopefully be starting in March. :)icon_thumright.gif

Good luck!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    Well I started a blog on the journey towards my MS:ISA @ WGU. I hope to start posting more information starting this weekend. My goal is to post useful tips/tricks/study notes that is in alignment with the student code of conduct.

down77.wordpress.com
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    petedudepetedude Member Posts: 1,510
    cablegod wrote: »
    If you fail the assessment, you go back and study until you can pass the preassessment, then take the real deal. They have learning communities that can help with your problem area(s).

Thanks. Now, if I can just find out how much algebra is on that QLC1. . .
    Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    SephStorm wrote: »
    What goes into the capstone project?

Since I'm gathering info for the capstone project I'll share some of the details.

The capstone consists of 3 classes taken back to back and must be completed in the same semester.
    TWA1 Technical Writing
    PFI2 IT-Network Administration Portfolio
    CPW2 IT-Network Administration Capstone Project

Remember, I'm doing the B.S. IT network Admin degree so my course numbers may be different from those of you doing the Design and management.

Think about what you learned in project+ and apply it here.

For the technical writing class I picked a project I had recently completed for work which was the upgrade and rollout of Trend v10.0 to both public and staff domains. This is just like presenting an project to your boss and would include:

Review of other work
    Rationale and Systems Analysis
    Goals and Objectives
    Project Deliverables
    Project Plan and Timelines

The next class Network Administration Portfolio builds upon the technical writing paper and includes the conclusion and lessons learned.

The last class Network Administration Capstone Project asks you to detail some of the knowledge learned from the classes you have taken and explain how they helped you to achieve this project.

I may have missed a few things but that's the bulk of it. All the examples that were sent to me were 30+ pages for each class.
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    I'm pretty close to jumping in.

Anyone want to refer me?
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    down77down77 Member Posts: 1,009
    petedude wrote: »
    I'm pretty close to jumping in.

Anyone want to refer me?

Can do, just send a PM
    CCIE Sec: Starting Nov 11
  • Options
    SephStormSephStorm Member Posts: 1,731 ■■■■■■■□□□
    azjag wrote: »
    Since I'm gathering info for the capstone project I'll share some of the details.

The capstone consists of 3 classes taken back to back and must be completed in the same semester.
    TWA1 Technical Writing
    PFI2 IT-Network Administration Portfolio
    CPW2 IT-Network Administration Capstone Project

Remember, I'm doing the B.S. IT network Admin degree so my course numbers may be different from those of you doing the Design and management.

Think about what you learned in project+ and apply it here.

For the technical writing class I picked a project I had recently completed for work which was the upgrade and rollout of Trend v10.0 to both public and staff domains. This is just like presenting an project to your boss and would include:

Review of other work
    Rationale and Systems Analysis
    Goals and Objectives
    Project Deliverables
    Project Plan and Timelines

The next class Network Administration Portfolio builds upon the technical writing paper and includes the conclusion and lessons learned.

The last class Network Administration Capstone Project asks you to detail some of the knowledge learned from the classes you have taken and explain how they helped you to achieve this project.

I may have missed a few things but that's the bulk of it. All the examples that were sent to me were 30+ pages for each class.

Thanks.
  • Options
    spacedustspacedust Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    down77 wrote: »
    My program starts today! I am scheduled to have my first mentor call tomorrow regarding the new program. The only disappointment so far is that I am required to take the EWB (1 credit intro to online learning) course again. Thankfully this only took me 2 hours to complete last time and my understanding is that it is to serve as a "refresher" for returning students.

I'll post more information after the call and periodically give feedback on the program. I am actually somewhat excited about working on the advanced leadership and GIAC7799 courses as part of the program.

Hey there! Welcome back to the grind! I'm working on my CEH right now for the ARV2 course. Next up - the computer forensics course :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Hey SpaceDust! Welcome to TE! :D
  • Options
    spacedustspacedust Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey SpaceDust! Welcome to TE! :D

Hey, there - I actually have had an account here for a long time, but don't usually post here. I hadn't visited in several months, either. Obviously, I missed out on the crowd assembling :)
  • Options
    cablegodcablegod Member Posts: 294
    spacedust wrote: »
    Hey, there - I actually have had an account here for a long time, but don't usually post here. I hadn't visited in several months, either. Obviously, I missed out on the crowd assembling :)

Glad to see you here too!
    “Government is a disease masquerading as its own cure.” -Robert LeFevre
  • Options
    earweedearweed Member Posts: 5,192 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I signed into the roll call on "the other side" but not here. Welcome to TE all
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    I'm in.

Didn't want to say anything earlier, for fear I'd jinx things. :) 11:39, 12:39 Mountain-- EWB is open for business!!
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Been out of the field for a few years with my own biz but getting back in. NT 4.0 certs just won't cut it.

Everything is done for enrollment so looking at a start date of 1 Sept. icon_cheers.gif

Question for those of you that have finished or finishing up. How is WGU REALLY looked at when you go for an interview?

When I did hiring and firing it wasnt the degree or cets but what you could do once you sat down to work. I know things have changed (good and bad) and I needed to do this for me no matter what.

Was just wondering what your feel from employers was.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    . . .
    Was just wondering what your feel from employers was.

Depends on the employer. I've heard good and bad.

I think in most cases though, the most important factor is that you've actually finished a degree program. It's a regionally accredited program, so if you need to you could augment it with a B&M Master's degree.
    --Will Rogers
  • Options
    azjagazjag Member Posts: 579 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Question for those of you that have finished or finishing up. How is WGU REALLY looked at when you go for an interview?

That depends alot on the person interviewing you. I graduated in March of this year and have noticed that I get through a lot more HR filters by having a bachelors degree. But of all the interviews I have had and even the ones with offers I declined only 2 had questions on the school. It was mostly questions like "How will your education help you to excel in this position" and "why should I pick you over somebody who graduated from here who is applying"
    Currently Studying:
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Administration (VCAP5-DCA) (Passed)
    VMware Certified Advanced Professional 5 – Data Center Design (VCAP5-DCD)
  • Options
    ShelleeShellee Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi new here to forum and so glad to be here:D My name is Shellee and I am new to the IT field. I am extremely green and eager to get started in the "real" stuff.
    I just finished all the english requirements, the humanities requirements, and EWB. I was enrolled in the Health Informatics/IT and have since switched to strictly IT for this term so I am waiting on the "manual process" to happen, I was told this would take place on the 4 of this month. I do know that I will be taking the Math courses and the IT Fundamentals 1 this term so I am excited to get started. I am currently working on the math foundations skillsbuilder to help me progress through the Math courses. Glad to he here nice to meet you all and
    please do not be alarmed if I have a million and one questions!
    Shellee
    BSIT-2nd term started Aug 1
    Taking QLT, QLC,QMC and WFV this term so far with plans to increase to more classes if time and my brain with math permits
    :study:
  • Options
    Welcome to TE shelley!
    Your welcome to post any and all questions here, just try to put them in the correct forum section. You may also want to go through the TE Roll call thread in the WGU Information Technology community thread and get paople on your messenger. A few people here use the mesenger and can also be a big help that way.
    IT1 is a good introductory course and is very broad. You'll be sent about 4 books for the course and they have some good info in them.
    No longer work in IT. Play around with stuff sometimes still and fix stuff for friends and relatives.
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Thanks for the replies.

Can't wait to get started on Sept 1 Got the A+ book from amazon to read while I am waiting. I want to kick out the Comptia's and Fundementals 1 (at least) by the end of the year.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    ShelleeShellee Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks earweed...love the name...4 books? It's a good thing I love to read icon_cool.gif
    Shellee
    BSIT-2nd term started Aug 1
    Taking QLT, QLC,QMC and WFV this term so far with plans to increase to more classes if time and my brain with math permits
    :study:
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just getting through EWB....on the 5th module now. But I started today! (Just taking a small break...I plan on knocking this out before midnight, God willing). Already went through two interruptions (of course...). But we're trudging along. :D
  • Options
    jmasterj206jmasterj206 Member Posts: 471
    Well, just finished up ewb2, I think. I still haven't got the email confirmation, but being it is a Sunday I am guessing tomorrow?
    WGU grad
  • Options
    Well, just finished up ewb2, I think. I still haven't got the email confirmation, but being it is a Sunday I am guessing tomorrow?

Glad I didn't treat this as a race...otherwise I would have lost for sure.

I have also finished EWB and I'm was a bit paranoid, so I emailed the ewb folks to see if there was anything I might have forgotten (inadvertantly).

I actually am glad I started for August, because I literally spent the whole day clicking, watching, writing, reading...it was like work (except of course, a bit different and somewhat more involved).

I guess by tomorrow we'll get some response. But it was great seeing you and the rest of the TE brethren doing EWB right along with me in the EWB community. :)
  • Options
    never2latenever2late Member Posts: 122
    Finished EWB2 about an hour or so ago. Took about 8hrs from start to finish. My mind started getting a little befuddled towards the end.

Ready to start the real classes but my meeting with my mentor isn't till Tuesday. Like others I never received a confirmation email but it is Sunday so should see something by tomorrow. I did join the TE thread started by Veritas and look forward to seeing other TE members there.
  • Options
    Shellee wrote: »
    Thanks earweed...love the name...4 books? It's a good thing I love to read icon_cool.gif
    The 4th book is a review/summary book.

If anyone needs any math (non-statistical as I su## at statistics) or science help I've usually got my WGU messenger on and I'm pretty good at math and science (tutorred physics while in uni years ago)
  • Options
    never2late wrote: »
    Finished EWB2 about an hour or so ago. Took about 8hrs from start to finish. My mind started getting a little befuddled towards the end.

Took me that long too and that was with interruptions. My neighbor locked out her dog and it was wandering the street. One of my other neighbors thought it was mine. Oy.....

Thank God for Sundays. LOL.

Update 8/2/2010 10:30AM (EST): As per a chat session with an EWB2 mentor, I DID complete EWB and will receive the e-mail either sometime today OR tomorrow. I asked permission if I could forward the transcript to my mentor so that I can set up the AAV call earlier than Friday. I almost know how this term is going to shape up. Left a voice mail for him too. So now the real fun can begin!
  • Options
    nbkriplnbkripl Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello all,

I have been reading the various threads located here. I am very excited to about to be starting my time at WGU. I am starting on Oct 1. Im doing the BS in Information Security and have future plans of pursuing the Masters and applying to the FBI to be a special agent.

I wish I had known about the fee waiver thing, but you live you learn!! icon_thumright.gif

Jonathan
  • Options
    nbkripl wrote: »
    Hello all,

I have been reading the various threads located here. I am very excited to about to be starting my time at WGU. I am starting on Oct 1. Im doing the BS in Information Security and have future plans of pursuing the Masters and applying to the FBI to be a special agent.

I wish I had known about the fee waiver thing, but you live you learn!! icon_thumright.gif

Jonathan

Very cool! Good luck with the classes and stick around! We can always use some FBI agents on the forum icon_wink.gif

My classes are going slowly this semester. The combination of work, college, etc. has started giving me a beating. I took a week off and I'm back on the bandwagon. MGC1 this week, and hopefully I pass. From there Project+ and Math!
  • Options
    chmorinchmorin Member Posts: 1,446 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Very cool! Good luck with the classes and stick around! We can always use some FBI agents on the forum icon_wink.gif

My classes are going slowly this semester. The combination of work, college, etc. has started giving me a beating. I took a week off and I'm back on the bandwagon. MGC1 this week, and hopefully I pass. From there Project+ and Math!

I start the 1st and have a pretty ambitious goal of finishing 50% of my degree by the end of the year... Well, I'm an ambitious guy so wish me luck! Even if I don't get to that goal, if I get close I will still be well off!

What is the fastest you have gotten credits from WGU?
    Currently Pursuing
    WGU (BS in IT Network Administration) - 52%| CCIE:Voice Written - 0% (0/200 Hours)
    mikej412 wrote:
    Cisco Networking isn't just a job, it's a Lifestyle.
  • Options
    chmorin wrote: »
    I start the 1st and have a pretty ambitious goal of finishing 50% of my degree by the end of the year... Well, I'm an ambitious guy so wish me luck! Even if I don't get to that goal, if I get close I will still be well off!

What is the fastest you have gotten credits from WGU?

I finished eight classes last semester. If I move quickly, I should be able to finish up all my classes by end of 2011.