Options

WGU Student Roll Call

Comments

• Options
    nbkriplnbkripl Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I finished eight classes last semester. If I move quickly, I should be able to finish up all my classes by end of 2011.

Thats good, I am hoping of doing approx 1 class a month at the least, so its good to see an even faster pace has been done.

How long do you wait after taking EWB for your mentor to contact you to start the AAP so you can start new classes, I want to finish EWB on the 1st and start rolling into the next class but the Enrollment counselor makes it sound like it could take a week or so to talk to the mentor and get moving. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    erpadminerpadmin Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    nbkripl wrote: »
    Thats good, I am hoping of doing approx 1 class a month at the least, so its good to see an even faster pace has been done.

How long do you wait after taking EWB for your mentor to contact you to start the AAP so you can start new classes, I want to finish EWB on the 1st and start rolling into the next class but the Enrollment counselor makes it sound like it could take a week or so to talk to the mentor and get moving. Any thoughts?

You can either insist that he/she (mentor, not enrollment counselor tool) contact you immediately (within a few hours) or wait until your scheduled appointment time. I did hound my mentor to contact me back to set up AAP the day after EWB. 24 days later, I was done with my initial 12 CUs at WGU. :) The month of September was a bit harder though....LAT1 is not cute at all....but I was somewhat prepared for that and should be done hopefully by the end of next week at the latest....then LUT1 can be done shortly thereafter in conjunction with WFV1 (CIW Associates version 5 or whatever...lol).

You can do more than 1 class a month though. But you and your mentor will go through that together.
  • Options
    RoadwarriorsLiveRoadwarriorsLive Member Posts: 104
    Waiting to sit my first tests as a student. Hoping to get Foundatations and Security+ out of the way quick. Then jut do my research paper and will have 13 credits for the first semester done. shopould be finished by the 18th if it all works as planned. Then kick out the rest of my general ed this semester.
    WGU Graduate - Bachelors of Science: Information Technology Security

Started MS ISA on April 1st
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    Just signing into the roll call thread. Starting Jan 1st. Friend of mine gave me the CIW books (He attends WGU as well) so I am already studying. Hopefully I can talk my mentor into giving me a voucher for that right away so I can move onto the meat and potatoes.
  • Options
    citinerd wrote: »
    Just signing into the roll call thread. Starting Jan 1st. Friend of mine gave me the CIW books (He attends WGU as well) so I am already studying. Hopefully I can talk my mentor into giving me a voucher for that right away so I can move onto the meat and potatoes.

Your mentor may want you to earn that trust before you start getting vouchers and such. It took a while for him to do so with me, but when I went for Project+, he did not have me to MeasureUp or any nonsense like that...he just gave it to me, and had the assessment folks rush it.

My mentor is very cool and it is my hope I finish WGU with him. I have (yet) to have any issue with him.
  • Options
    BerryKixBerryKix Banned Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Yeah, I don't even bother with the examcram and measure up stuff anymore. It was really pointless anyway. After I blew through 5 courses in the first month my mentor pretty much just let me do whatever I wanted. He was willing to overload my AAV too so I didn't lose any time while waiting to take exams. They won't do it at first though until you prove you can move quickly and you pass your exams and keep to your schedule.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    erpadmin wrote: »
    Your mentor may want you to earn that trust before you start getting vouchers and such. It took a while for him to do so with me, but when I went for Project+, he did not have me to MeasureUp or any nonsense like that...he just gave it to me, and had the assessment folks rush it.

My mentor is very cool and it is my hope I finish WGU with him. I have (yet) to have any issue with him.

Yeah, that is what I am figuring. I am just hoping I can convince him or her that with my certs and the low passing score that it is all good.
  • Options
    phonetic.manphonetic.man Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey all. I thought I should sign in here on the roll call thread as I start tomorrow. I can't wait to officially get started on my BS: IT Security degree and finally finish off my 4yr degree (I will basically end up with 3 majors when I finish).

I also have my meeting with my mentor tomorrow afternoon which should be cool. Hopefully I can squeeze out a Project+ voucher some time soon as I have finished studying for it (though I want to review before attempting).

Anyway, just signing in and waiting as patiently for EWB as I can.
    Currently studying: Backup Academy, CWNA, MCSA:08, iBoss ISCP
  • Options
    Hey all. I thought I should sign in here on the roll call thread as I start tomorrow. I can't wait to officially get started on my BS: IT Security degree and finally finish off my 4yr degree (I will basically end up with 3 majors when I finish).

I also have my meeting with my mentor tomorrow afternoon which should be cool. Hopefully I can squeeze out a Project+ voucher some time soon as I have finished studying for it (though I want to review before attempting).

Anyway, just signing in and waiting as patiently for EWB as I can.

I suppose you could finish EWB after work or something. It takes at a minimum about 5-7 hours to finish....very straightforward and Student Services/EWB Mentors tend to be available during that the first few days of the month (have to be done within 10 days....).

Just knock it out so that you can work on your real classes.
  • Options
    HypntickHypntick Member Posts: 1,451 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll chime in here as well. Start today. Wanted to get some work done on my lunch hour but my current job frowns on streaming video. icon_sad.gif Guess i'll be doing this all at home.
    WGU BS:IT Completed June 30th 2012.
    WGU MS:ISA Completed October 30th 2013.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    I'll chime in here as well. Start today. Wanted to get some work done on my lunch hour but my current job frowns on streaming video. icon_sad.gif Guess i'll be doing this all at home.

In addition to my post above, know that EWB mentors should be available tonight as well for students who start on the 1st.

You can knock this out tonight much like I was able to do it on a Sunday. :)
  • Options
    Just knock it out so that you can work on your real classes.

I am planning on starting today after work and finishing in the next few days. Not exactly a race for me, I am just excited to start.
  • Options
    drew726drew726 Member Posts: 237
    started this morning at 7am. my girlfriend interrupted me damnit! i want to finish these damn videos
    Completed Courses:
    SSC1, SST1, AXV1, TTV1, ABV1, TNV1, AHV1, BAC1, BBC1, LAE1, LUT1, GAC1, IWC1, INC1, HHT1, LAT1, QLT1, CLC1, IWT1 TPV1, INT1, TSV1, LET1, BOV1, AJV1, ORC1, MGC1, BRV1, AIV1, WFV1,
    TWA1, CPW2
    Incompleted Courses:
    nothing :)
  • Options
    Lemonade727Lemonade727 Member Posts: 177
    Currently on module 4 of the EWB. Going through it during downtime at work so should definitely have it done tonight.
    Completed: EWB2, LAE1, WFV1, BAC1, BBC1, SSC1, SST1, BOV1, WSV1, GAC1, HHT1, QLT1, ORC1, LET1, MGC1, TPV1, INC1, WDV1​, INT1, LAT1, LUT1, IWC1, IWT1, KET1, KFT1, TWA1, CPW1
    Required:
    Finished! I'm a graduate now!
    Classes Transferred:
    AKV1, TTV1, TNV1, TSV1, ABV1, CLC1
  • Options
    PishofPishof Member Posts: 193
    Finally finished going through all the EWB2 modules and now just waiting on my mentor phone call scheduled Thursday evening.

I recognized a certain avatar in the discussion boards so I've identified at least one of you who have started today with me. I also have a close friend who started today as well.

I've been studying for the Security+ exam I hope get a voucher as soon as my mentor provide one for me. In a couple nights I'll probably be ready to take it most certainly by the time it'll take me to get an exam scheduled.
    Courses Left for WGU BS - IT: NA:
    Finished!

On to VCAP!
  • Options
    I am planning on starting today after work and finishing in the next few days. Not exactly a race for me, I am just excited to start.

Just to let you know....all of that stuff you go through with EWB can be looked up via the Student Handbook. It should not take a few weeks to process that information....but hey, to each his own.

Best of luck in your studies.
  • Options
    Pishof wrote: »
    Finally finished going through all the EWB2 modules and now just waiting on my mentor phone call scheduled Thursday evening.

I recognized a certain avatar in the discussion boards so I've identified at least one of you who have started today with me.

That'd be me. icon_lol.gif
    Finished up all the tasks for EWB on breaks and lunch today at work. Just waiting on my phone call and i'm ready to move on.
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm starting April 1st (unless this is some kind of joke!). I'm looking forward to it. Although, looking at the class information, some of this is going to be very basic and review. I can't wait until the more challenging stuff.

A quick question, though: On the student loans, can you borrow more than what is needed to cover internet and school associated costs?

Thanks!
  • Options
    Just to let you know....all of that stuff you go through with EWB can be looked up via the Student Handbook. It should not take a few weeks to process that information....but hey, to each his own.

Best of luck in your studies.

:) I meant that I probably wont have it finished today/tonight, though I'm half done with it now. Should be easy to finish by Thursday. So far it seem like a nice intro for people and a review for me (between what I have read here and on WGU). My wife and stepdaughter keep me from racing people. icon_wink.gif

Best of luck to everyone enrolled!
  • Options
    PC509 wrote: »
    A quick question, though: On the student loans, can you borrow more than what is needed to cover internet and school associated costs?

Yes you can.
  • Options
    Hypntick wrote: »
    That'd be me. icon_lol.gif
    Finished up all the tasks for EWB on breaks and lunch today at work. Just waiting on my phone call and i'm ready to move on.

Call your mentor and leave a message. He/she will take time out for a few minutes to get you started...in fact they like that because it shows you have initiative....icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't to wait for Thursday.....call and leave a message. icon_cool.gif If it were like that for me, I'd have gone almost a whole week until my mentor call.
  • Options
    Call your mentor and leave a message. He/she will take time out for a few minutes to get you started...in fact they like that because it shows you have initiative....icon_rolleyes.gif

Don't to wait for Thursday.....call and leave a message. icon_cool.gif If it were like that for me, I'd have gone almost a whole week until my mentor call.

She called last night at my scheduled time. We spoke for a few minutes and she wanted to know when to set up our AAV call. She noticed I had completed all the EWB stuff so she said okay no need to wait around i'll give you a call on your lunch tomorrow and we'll get it knocked out. 2.5 hours and counting. She also had me email her my plan of attack which I had worked out in advance. Seems to be very comfortable letting me do things at my speed and control the direction I'm comfortable moving in.
  • Options
    TLeTourneauTLeTourneau Member Posts: 616 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hi all,

Just checking in, I'm starting on 5/1. Fifteen years in the industry so I figure it's time to get a degree. I'm going for the B.S. - IT Networks Design & Management. I came in with my MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Server Administrator, Enterprise Desktop Administrator 7 and CCNA so that helped a bit. FYI, the two that helped the most were the Enterprise Admin and the CCNA.

Thanks,

Tom
    Thanks, Tom

M.S. - Cybersecurity and Information Assurance
    B.S: IT - Network Design & Management
  • Options
    hiddenknight821hiddenknight821 Member Posts: 1,209 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's official! icon_cheers.gif I just completed my Intake interview last night. I can't wait to start in July. Although, I am not sure which courses to start with, but I forgot what I originally planned to take since I left my note with all my plans for WGU at home, but I will come back here to edit later to update with you guys.

I am halfway done with studying for my ICND2, but I really need to stay focus and finish this thing soon so I can take the ICND2 exam as soon as I start. From there, I better jump right into BLV1 stuff to retain my Cisco knowledge. I am still debating whether to retake the ABV1 since they waived that class too. I would like to have my first Microsoft cert. Do you guys think it's worth it for me to shoot for two terms and retake all the classes that will get me more certs? I dunno if CIW certs are worth it. My goal is to try to finish WGU in one term, but I can't be sure yet until I start. Writing is definitely not my strength.

UPDATE: I finally found my plan that I drafted back in May when I was in the middle of moving back home. I plan to take EWB2, KFT1, BSV1 and ORC1 as my first few classes in the AAV. From what I learned here, I figured I should definitely take the MGC1 as soon as possible after finishing the ORC1. Then my last two managerial classes are LET1 and TPV1, but I am not sure which order should I take it in, but I think LET1 should be before TPV1 (Project+ cert). This will make my study a whole lot easier. Depending on how much time I have left in my first term, I may shoot for BLV1, TWA1, and CPW4 in order. I fear that I will not be able to come up with what I want to write by that time.
  • Options
    bmtuserbmtuser Member Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Starting my B.S. IT Network Administrator on July 1st. I have procrastinated getting my degree for too long. I hope to finish by July 2012.
    Started WGU 07-01-2011
    Finished BS IT Network Administrator on 03/10/2012
  • Options
    bishunbishun Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey guys, I started on Feb. 1st, so my first semester runs from 02/01/2011 - 07/31/2011. So far WGU has exceeded my expectations, I had less than a year of college done at a brick and mortar University, which i attended back in 2004.

I took and passed the A+ and Network+ exams in December 2010, to get in on lifetime cert status, but also because I knew I wanted to attend WGU.

Classes transferred in:
    INC1, AXV1, TTV1, TNV1, IWC1, and IWT1

Classes passed so far this semester:
    EWB2, BAC1, BBC1, CLC1, LAE1, INT1, GAC1, SSC1, SST1, HHT1, QLT1, WFV1, MGC1

I'm working on LET1 (one task to go), ORC1, and TSV1.

That will be 46 CU's in my first semester! It has taken a lot of effort, and to put it in perspective I do work full time at an ISP / Telephone company. To those wondering how much acceleration is possible, there you have it.
  • Options
    coty24coty24 Member Posts: 263 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I started Jul 1st in BSIT:Network Admin. I'm so pumped to get started and finish! I already love this school.
    Passed LOT2 :)Working on FMV2(CHFI v8 ) Done!
  • Options
    kbr0125kbr0125 Registered Users Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know my sgt is and he got me into looking at WGU, but i been talking with them and im trying to get certs before i go to it so i can do less classes and get my degree faster, right now working on my Top Secret security clearance with the military, so when i get out ill have no problem getting into the networking work force for the DOD if they still offer all the contracting spots they have now, and man do they pay nice at 150,000 a year to go to Afghanistan.
  • Options
    Michael.J.PalmerMichael.J.Palmer Member Posts: 407 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Just finished my enrollment process and all set for an August 1st startdate, can't wait!
    -Michael Palmer
    WGU Networks BS in IT - Design & Managment (2nd Term)
    Transfer: BAC1,BBC1,CLC1,LAE1,INC1,LAT1,AXV1,TTV1,LUT1,INT1,SSC1,SST1,TNV1,QLT1,ABV1,AHV1,AIV1,BHV1,BIV1
    Required Courses: EWB2, WFV1, BOV1, ORC1, LET1, GAC1, HHT1, TSV1, IWC1, IWT1, MGC1, TPV1, TWA1, CPW3.
    Key: Completed, WIP, Still to come
  • Options
    scgamer_99scgamer_99 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Just now starting all the paper work to go to WGU hopping to get started around sept, one question though.... does anyone know what the student budget is? my old college was max $17000 anyone know what WGU's is?