Options

In todays class..

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
how to turn on a computer and login!
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    icon_scratch.gif
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I can't remember, are you in high school or college?

Regardless, that's why I opted to go for a more traditional liberal education degree (psychology) instead of going for an IT degree. I can teach the IT stuff to myself at a faster rate, and I don't have to wait on the "slow" kids.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    If I remember correctly you are in a training program for a job?

If I'm wrong it wouldn't be the first time my memory didn't serve me right though....
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    dynamik wrote:
    I can't remember, are you in high school or college?

Regardless, that's why I opted to go for a more traditional liberal education degree (psychology) instead of going for an IT degree. I can teach the IT stuff to myself at a faster rate, and I don't have to wait on the "slow" kids.

Man, I really agree with that. I did a Business Admin undergrad degree. The IT classes that I did take for electives were basic in nature for a person with any IT savy.

IT degrees have a lot of value, but IT does lend itself to self-teaching more than most disciplines. I don't want want my unschooled doctor using ExamCram or Surgery for Dummies for 2 days before my operation... but for IT it can work to an extent.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    IT degrees have a lot of value, but IT does lend itself to self-teaching more than most disciplines. I don't want want my unschooled doctor using ExamCram or Surgery for Dummies for 2 days before my operation... but for IT it can work to an extent.
    Aw man! This patient is totally different to the one in my **** book! Does anybody know what that squiggly bit over there is?

When you say IT degree are you talking about Computer Science or one of the Information Technology ones?
  • Options
    I'm talking about degrees that basically consist of nothing more than a bunch of certs, not CS.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,047 Admin
    dynamik wrote:
    I'm talking about degrees that basically consist of nothing more than a bunch of certs, not CS.
    Universities that use IT certs as part of the curriculum us it as a marketing device to enroll students and to affiliate themselves with the major cert vendors. It's very community college-ish; I don't see any major university IT programs going that route.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    JDMurray wrote:
    dynamik wrote:
    Universities that use IT certs as part of the curriculum us it as a marketing device to enroll students and to affiliate themselves with the major cert vendors. It's very community college-ish; I don't see any major university IT programs going that route.
    Yup, community colleges go this route because they serve several functions. Aside from helping students transfer to a four-year college, an Associate's degree is often times considered to be a vocational degree, especially when it comes to fields like IT. Given, there are specific vocational degrees and academic A.A. and A.S. degrees available from most community colleges, the general outlook most people and businesses have is that you're in a 2-year college to either transfer or for vocational training.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Im in college its some dumb class I have to take and the counselor "forgot" to mention I could test out. Even though I showed him my MCP ID card and mention I went to a well known local tech center for two years -_- now im in a class for people who cant login to windows! luckly its only once a week -_-
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    Im in college its some dumb class I have to take and the counselor "forgot" to mention I could test out. Even though I showed him my MCP ID card and mention I went to a well known local tech center for two years -_- now im in a class for people who cant login to windows! luckly its only once a week -_-

Luckily nothing. You are paying for nothing. Get out of that class and get your money back. It doesn't grow on trees.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    M4verickM4verick Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    royal wrote:
    pLuhhmm wrote:

Luckily nothing. You are paying for nothing. Get out of that class and get your money back. It doesn't grow on trees.

Agreed. Get out if you can. If you know the material and can at least test out, then there's no point in wasting more of your time and your money. I'm sure it can be better spent taking another course to move you along faster.
    Isn't it funny how after you have the certifications, you don't care about sharing them as much?
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Usually if you showed up for class even 1 day you can't test out of it anymore.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    royal wrote:
    pLuhhmm wrote:

o_O Im paying money for this pathetic class, what are you talking about o_O
  • Options
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    o_O Im paying money for this pathetic class, what are you talking about o_O

That's why he encouraged you to try to get out of it and get a refund.
  • Options
    Well, in order to get my degree I have to take this class ): no matter what my major is ):,,,
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I'd be pissed if someone forgot to tell me if I can opt out and you're wasting money because of their mistake. Lesson learned though. Opting out is very common though, but not everybody knows this. So any time you take a class you feel like you already know, opt out.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks