Options

Question about RIPv2

ChuuChuu Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
I am taking the ICND1 exam tomorrow, and discovered that I'm still a little confused about exactly how RIP works.

From reading around and some sample questions, I was getting the impression that using the "network" command with rip, you had to feed it a class A, B, or C network name. There is one sample question on the odom book that's pretty blunt about this -- it basically says "All the network names begin in 10.5.x.x, what 3 commands do you need to enable RIP" and the 3rd command is "network 10.0.0.0" not "network 10.5.0.0". There is also some stuff in the cisco documentation on RIP about how if you use the network command wrong, it will figure out what you meant and silently fix it.

The thing is, there are sample questions scattered around where using the network command seems to violate this rule i.e. the right answer would involve a command like "network 10.10.0.0".

I am wondering if there is a document out there that specifically lays out how to use the network command, and what the restrictions are. The Odom ICND1 book doesn't really go into much detail here.

Comments

• Options
    Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Can you give the full question instead of part of it?
  • Options
    Ok, going back over the exam, I think I was just confusing what RIP updates look like compared to what you actually do to configure RIP. My bad.

A related question though, is Address Aggregation on the ICND1 exam? I don't recall ever reading about it in the ICND book, but there are a few questions on it on the Odom practice exams.
  • Options
    I'm not sure..but I would be prepared just in case. Truthfully, I would be surprised if you got a question on aggregation. I don't know though, I took the composite. This new CCNA junk is weird.

Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure you'll be fine. Be sure to get plenty of rest and clear your mind beforehand.
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice. I can't help to feel like I could be much better prepared, but I simply do not have any more time to study with the way my schedule is looking the next two months icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Chuu wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I can't help to feel like I could be much better prepared, but I simply do not have any more time to study with the way my schedule is looking the next two months icon_sad.gif

I feel your pain. I am taking the BSCI in 3 weeks, and I literally just started studying. It spells trouble.