suddenly rich, how to get poor?

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
Don't get jelous, I haven't won the Jackpot and I'm not running in the Canadian or US elections this fall either :) But I'm going to drive the wheel the other way!

Yesterday I got paid and didn't know what to do with the money! It's been a while since I'm feeling rich although I'm not, at least how it's defined nowadays. I see most people wanting big houses, fancy cars, luxurious furnitures, becoming millionaires and many other things, but not me. I have a descent job, a good car and eventually will buy an average house, but something is stopping me from following the 'crowd'. I see some people trying to get rich having poor temper, poor health, poor greed, and poor bla bla blah. Should I too get poor or stay rich they way I'm?

Comments

• DiminutiveDiminutive Member Posts: 102 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hookers & blow my friend
    WIP: Win2008 MCITP Upgrade
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Diminutive wrote:
    hookers & blow my friend

+1 icon_lol.gif
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    Get married if you're single, you will enjoy new different type of life :)
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    UnixGuy wrote:

Haha this also.

Or you can give me some for my college fund. icon_wink.gif
  • deadpool287deadpool287 Member Posts: 113
    take your friends out for drinks frequently

actually call a cab/limo service and that kind of stuff.
  • binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
    UnixGuy wrote:

Did you mean to say get divorced if you're married to 'enjoy' life? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Which by the way reminds me of someone on this forum suggesting to divorce your wife at 36 and trade her for two 18 year olds :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    binarysoul wrote:
    Which by the way reminds me of someone on this forum suggesting to divorce your wife at 36 and trade her for two 18 year olds :)

Yea, but that guy's an idiot.

+1 to the drinking idea. I bet Snadam and I could empty your bank account in a heartbeat ;)

Seriously though, have you thought of traveling at all? That seems to be the right balance of spending a decent chunk of change and having a fulfilling experience. Not there's anything wrong with partying or buying a new toy once in awhile. I just think it'd be a shame to constantly blow a bunch of money on frivolous things.
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I accept Paypal.

In all seriousness, this is what I did:
    1. I have my emergency fund in my bank account to satisfy 6 months of living expenses should I become ill or get laid off and can't find a job
    2. Invest in an IRA after you invest enough in your 401k to match your employer matces.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote:
    binarysoul wrote:

Yea, but that guy's an idiot.

+1 to the drinking idea. I bet Snadam and I could empty your bank account in a heartbeat ;)

Seriously though, have you thought of traveling at all? That seems to be the right balance of spending a decent chunk of change and having a fulfilling experience. Not there's anything wrong with partying or buying a new toy once in awhile. I just think it'd be a shame to constantly blow a bunch of money on frivolous things.

I know of some 3-digit tequila we can go get drunken_smilie.gif on

Actually, thats what I would spend my money on when I just got my promotion and wasn't married, OR had a mortgage/car payment/other bills to pay. I seriously had a FULL top-shelf bar at my house icon_eek.gif I actually still have some left from it left over.

if you have the money/time, I 2nd that travel idea. Ive always wanted to go to Europe, and have no idea when I will be able to, if at all. Oh well, Ill just stick with vegas/Bay area/Nebraska for vacations
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • coke and hookers
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,570 Mod
    binarysoul wrote:
    UnixGuy wrote:

Did you mean to say get divorced if you're married to 'enjoy' life? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

well then have kids, they will sure make you poor trust me icon_lol.gif

I always liked dynamik ideas icon_cool.gif
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• kripsakkripsak Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Friend! Please help out the single mothers and college students who work for your local exotic night clubs. It has been a dream of mine to take home one of those lucky ladies, and I've been pretty close once. Hopefully I can live my dream through you if your lucky enough to take home one of those ladies. icon_cool.gif
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Buy a house ;) and 401K, if I have as much money as you do, I would purchase my dream car Audi S5, the chiks will follow hehe...
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Aside from giving you the most boring advice possible - save some for later. You might not know what to do with it now, but you sure will a few weeks/months down the road when your car begins to sputter or you see something you truly want and/or need - I can only go with the crowd and say this:

yhst-25012602074845_2016_737473

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Lee HLee H Member Posts: 1,135
    You could go to vegas and put the entire amount on "RED"
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    start a foundation be like bill gates and donate some for the less fortunate. send me a pm if you want to throw some at my bank account. icon_lol.gif
    No Sacrifice, No Victory.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    IRA/401K for now until you buy your own place. Consider a condo or townhouses also, since the foreclosure market is driving homes really cheap now. Southern LA county, a house like 5 miles down the street from me sold at auction for $70k USD a few months ago when I was house shopping.
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    royal wrote:
    I accept Paypal.

In all seriousness, this is what I did:
    1. I have my emergency fund in my bank account to satisfy 6 months of living expenses should I become ill or get laid off and can't find a job
    2. Invest in an IRA after you invest enough in your 401k to match your employer matces.

+1

+100% matching from other rational thread viewers icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you already have a 401k open a Roth IRA, that way you don't get taxed on this money when you take it out. I normally only contribute the matching portion of the 401k, everything else goes into the Roth. Once that is maxed out i have an individual account I mess around with