Options

Remote Desktop Utilities

royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
What Remote Desktop program do you use to manage multiple sessions? I know there's the built-in remote desktops, but have seen people use different 3rd party utilities. What do you use?
“For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks

Comments

• Options
    win2k8win2k8 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 262
    We use Remote Administrator from www.radmin.com

win2k4
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    At the last place I worked, we used the built-in remote administration tool in Kaseya, which is a slipstreamed version of VNC, as well as a few other tools, to connect over an HTTPS session. At the place before that, we used mainly TS, but also VNC for Windows, and SecureCRT for the Linux/Unix boxes and the networking (Cisco) devices.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Kaseya at my new job.

Dameware at my old.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    bjaxxbjaxx Member Posts: 217
    Slowhand wrote:
    At the last place I worked, we used the built-in remote administration tool in Kaseya, which is a slipstreamed version of VNC, as well as a few other tools, to connect over an HTTPS session. At the place before that, we used mainly TS, but also VNC for Windows, and SecureCRT for the Linux/Unix boxes and the networking (Cisco) devices.

I don't think he's asking remote administration/Screen sharing software - remote desktops lists which computers/servers you access on a frequent basis or which ones you configure for remote desktops.
    I may be way off kilter.

clarify for us Royal?
    "You have to hate to lose more than you love to win"
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    bjaxx wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

I don't htink he's asking remote administration/Screen sharing software - remote desktops lists which computers/servers you access on a frequent basis or which ones you configure for remote desktops.

clarify for us Royal?
    I'm fairly sure he's asking what actual remote administration programs we use:
    royal wrote:
    What Remote Desktop program do you use to manage multiple sessions? I know there's the built-in remote desktops, but have seen people use different 3rd party utilities. What do you use?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Radmin - VNC - Putty - RDP
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Royal, I use RoyalTS ( icon_lol.gif ) from Code4ward.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    http://www.visionapp.com/

I'm not a connaisseur or anything. This just worked for me the first time so I stuck with it. (and it's free)
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    mRemote is the current session manager I use!
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'll vote along with both Mishra and shednik. vRD and mRemote are good tools to have around. :D
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    +1 for mRemote -- I use it weekly for multiple RDP/SSH/ftp sessions, all separated via tabs. I especially like how you can have multiple RDP sessions open for the same server and each session is further divided within the tab, much like items are on the Windows taskbar.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    RTmarc wrote:

Ditto, great bit of kit.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    bertieb wrote:
    Royal, I use RoyalTS ( icon_lol.gif ) from Code4ward.

Amen. I think he just wanted us to say his name ;)
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    mr2nut wrote:
    RTmarc wrote:

Ditto, great bit of kit.

Dameware NT Utilities is a must-have. You can do practically anything to a remote computer with zero user interruption. Start/stop processes, services, modify registry keys, log off/restart/shut down, modify local user accounts, etc etc.
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    Does dameware require me to install a client on their machine or does it just use TS?
  • Options
    paintb4707paintb4707 Member Posts: 420
    hypnotoad wrote:
    Does dameware require me to install a client on their machine or does it just use TS?

The service is installed remotely from within the utility, as long as you're using an administrative login.

So theoretically, no you don't need a client installed.
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hypnotoad wrote:
    As stated, the utility will push the client silently before you connect to the client. You can even set it so that the service is removed once you disconnect.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    +1 for Dameware

Decent feature set, and you can't really beat the price (no per user fee's, just per technician).
  • Options
    BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LogMeIn.com
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)