Options

EVGA 9600 GT + Vista =????

pLuhhmmpLuhhmm Member Posts: 146
Okay, Im at my cousins house setting up his new computer and I triple booted xp/vista/ubuntu and the drivers for the 9600 work with XP and are suppose to work with Vista but when I download and install it says reboot yadda yadda, so i restart the boot menu and vista boot logo have blue lines going across them well vista boot logo does the post screen is also messed up but i cant remeber exact details, any way, when i log into vista theres no detection of the card @ all it still says basic monitor or w/e and ive tried the CD, Omega, and nVidia drivers and none work. Any solutions???\

Heres the PC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229042
Ever wonder what makes special sauce so special? YO!

Comments

• Options
    Okay, Well as far as I know now, its not vista. Now XP cant detect the driver it just says like vga blah blah monitor. Both XP/Vista loading screens have wierd blue rows of blue doted lines and the bios has white random placed dotted line. WTF!??! any clues?

Bad card?? maybe?

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080317021901AAVzRhb
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have another video card you can try?
  • Options
    Just some really bad one that only has vga. We got it through newegg so I might just have them get a new one. So not really b/c it would just look like the current state.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Reseat the video card. If that does work then the memory is probably bad. In which case, RMA time.

On another note, eww to dual (or triple in your case) booting XP and Vista. Just get the stuff working under Vista. You trying to drive them nuts with excessive system patching every month?
  • Options
    I just told my cousin to have his mom (lol) send it back to newegg and get a replacement. Also I made 25GB-Vista,25-XP and 20GB ubuntu partitions and use the 400GB~ as storage for "media" WHICH TOOK TWO HOURS to load and then have to reformat the whole computer for the 1000th time b/c of a bad vista disc and redlin vista to end up just using the disc that came with the pc and undo everything AHHHHHHHHHHHH I spent so much time to get it finally the way it should be then just for it to go back to newegg -_-.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    This may sound stupid...

But he did plug in the extra power adapter 12v rail that is needed to power the card?

I have a 9600GT as well... You need to make sure you plug in the 12v power to the card along with it being plugged into the PCI-E slot.
  • Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    pLuhhmm wrote:
    I just told my cousin to have his mom (lol) send it back to newegg and get a replacement. Also I made 25GB-Vista,25-XP and 20GB ubuntu partitions and use the 400GB~ as storage for "media" WHICH TOOK TWO HOURS to load and then have to reformat the whole computer for the 1000th time b/c of a bad vista disc and redlin vista to end up just using the disc that came with the pc and undo everything AHHHHHHHHHHHH I spent so much time to get it finally the way it should be then just for it to go back to newegg -_-.

They were probably working on other things as well. <_<

And loading an operating system CAN take some time. I know it generally takes an hour or more to install most OSs.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    TechJunky wrote:
    This may sound stupid...

But he did plug in the extra power adapter 12v rail that is needed to power the card?

I have a 9600GT as well... You need to make sure you plug in the 12v power to the card along with it being plugged into the PCI-E slot.
    It will usually refuse to power up at all or complain at you. I've not seen any that will cause the startup screens to look strange if they didn't have the extra power connections.
  • Options
    TechJunkyTechJunky Member Posts: 881
    Actually, if you have an onboard video card like myself and install the card without the 12v power adapter it does funny things. I managed to do it on mine the first time around. icon_lol.gif