Options

Anyone taken 70-270 recently?

ladyfoxladyfox Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,

New to the forum, so be kind :D

Has anyone taken the 70-270 recently? If so, care to share your experiences? How hard/easy you found it? What type of questions you were asked, whether you felt you'd prepared for it, etc?

I have mine in 2 days and never expected to take this at all as i was ready to go down the MCITP route but my employer wants MCSE. I have found it really hard revising for this one as i use Vista now and it was almost like going backwards. I did the 70-620 MCTS: Vista exam the other month, which has made things harder i guess.

I think i'll do okay, currently cramming on MeasureUp and passing the practice tests to about 85-90% but would love to hear from anyone who did the exam recently and what they thought of it.

Comments

• Options
    neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    passed mine in August with a 715. (third attempt - first one was taken over a year ago just to see what microsoft exams were like and got 432).

I used practice exam in Microsoft press book many many times and it worked.

I think lots of background reading and as many practice exams are very helpful.

My hardest exam to date.
  • Options
    elementxeroelementxero Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I took mine last Sunday. Passed first attempt with a 760. I found the best approach was to cram my brain full of all the Transcender questions and answers for about 8 hours across 3 days prior to taking it, and right before leaving to take the test drinking 2 glasses of 140proof Absinthe.

Then again my methods are untraditional.

That is the truth, but also as a side note this test really does sneak up on you. You see that little XP in there and you think Grandmas First Typing Test, but it actually is a lot more Active Directory/Administrator centric. Virtually nothing in there is related to XP itself other than how XP reacts to certain permissions, etc.
    70-290: YOU'RE NEXT, FORKLIFTER.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Here is my pass post, it lists my materials and method.

http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30952
    -Daniel
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    right before leaving to take the test drinking 2 glasses of 140proof Absinthe.

What do you mean 'untraditional'? That's how I prepare for all my exams. My exams, my classes, hell, that's how I prepare to get up in the morning.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    elementxeroelementxero Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Slowhand wrote:

What do you mean 'untraditional'? That's how I prepare for all my exams. My exams, my classes, hell, that's how I prepare to get up in the morning.

Freewheeling Maniacs of the world UNITE!
    70-290: YOU'RE NEXT, FORKLIFTER.
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    Slowhand wrote:

I know my question is off the subject, but I always wanted to try Absinthe. Does it really make you hallucinate lol? I know they took out the Wormwood ingredient that supposedly made people hallucinate, but I'm wondering if people still hallucinate from it.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gravyjoe wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

I know my question is off the subject, but I always wanted to try Absinthe. Does it really make you hallucinate lol? I know they took out the Wormwood ingredient that supposedly made people hallucinate, but I'm wondering if people still hallucinate from it.

Maybe if you really believe you can. Have you ever seen those psychology tests where they give a bunch of college kids "alcohol" (probably non-alcoholic beer or something), and the kids start acting drunk as the night progresses, even though they haven't had any alcohol. It may work for you. I've heard that the effects of the genuine absinthe are exaggerated as well.

The most unique alcohol I've had was this: http://www.agwabuzz.com/ Upon finishing the entire bottle in one sitting (just sipping a little at a time, not really paying attention), and I found myself wide awake at 4am. It's curious that they say it's "coming soon" to the US. It was here. I guess they were forced to change something. The guy at the liquor store seemed surprised they were even able to get it.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote:
    gravyjoe wrote:
    Slowhand wrote:

Maybe if you really believe you can. Have you ever seen those psychology tests where they give a bunch of college kids "alcohol" (probably non-alcoholic beer or something), and the kids start acting drunk as the night progresses, even though they haven't had any alcohol. It may work for you. I've heard that the effects of the genuine absinthe are exaggerated as well.

The most unique alcohol I've had was this: http://www.agwabuzz.com/ Upon finishing the entire bottle in one sitting (just sipping a little at a time, not really paying attention), and I found myself wide awake at 4am. It's curious that they say it's "coming soon" to the US. It was here. I guess they were forced to change something. The guy at the liquor store seemed surprised they were even able to get it.
    The effects of real absinthe are pretty drastic, (between real wormwood and a staggering alcohol content, they'd better be,) but the full-blown effects people talk about are a result of drinking absinthe straight and doing opium. (Traditionally, you cut absinthe with a sugarcube and water.) You can imagine, that during the 1800's when the likes of Van Gogh and his buddies were doing this on a regular basis, a lot of "creativity" arose from what they saw and heard as a result.

Now, back to the topic. ladyfox, if you already have the 70-620 done, you don't need to do 70-270. The Vista exam counts towards the MCSE as well as MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

• Options
    LOL Thanks all.

Well, just had the test and passed (with a score of 800) Yay!

The exam wasnt as hard as i thought it might be, wasnt prepared for the nuber of fax related questions either but otherwise it was okay. 290 and 291 to go now!
  • Options
    Now, back to the topic. ladyfox, if you already have the 70-620 done, you don't need to do 70-270. The Vista exam counts towards the MCSE as well as MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Thats true, but the Vista exam can also be the elective, so i figured that I might as well do the XP client exam that i had a good chance of passing than taking on a new elective. My area of work is virtualisation so none of the other electives (bar possibly the security one) seemed to be particularly relevant or easy.

Would be interesting to know what people took as their elective.
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good job. What order are you going to take the MCSE exams in?
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • Options
    ladyfox wrote:
    Would be interesting to know what people took as their elective.
    I took Security+ as my elective, since it gave me a whole other cert on top of letting me complete the MCSA, (and soon, the MCSE).

• Options
    Yeah, Security+ was my other option as opposed to doing 270.

So far i have done the 70-620 Vista TS and the 70-270 XP client exam. I'm revising for 290 and 291 now and intending to do 290 first then 291, hopefully taking 290 in the next month. I have been told that 290is easier than 270 in terms of tricky and diverse questions - i sure hope so!

Once i get MCSA i think ill have a month off before tackling the last 3 to MCSE. :D
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    congrats on the pass!
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I did the Security+ for my elective. I chose that because I was aiming for the MCSE:S and I also wanted an extra certification to put on my resume.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    jamesp1983jamesp1983 Member Posts: 2,475 ■■■■□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote:
    I did the Security+ for my elective. I chose that because I was aiming for the MCSE:S and I also wanted an extra certification to put on my resume.

x2
    "Check both the destination and return path when a route fails." "Switches create a network. Routers connect networks."