Options

Anyone used and tested UIU - Universal Imaging Utility???

D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
Has anyone ever used this imaging software?

http://www.binaryresearch.net/products/the_universal_imaging_utility

I am currently testing it at work, as we want to create a hardware-independent master Image
for our HQ and off-stie locations we support. We support Dell, HP, IBM/Lenovo Desktops and laptops (Various different models) and the odd Sony (Don't ask!!!).

I work for a media group company and we do all the IT support services for a number of companys within the group.

I have tested with the following hardware:

Orignal image was created on a IBM thinkcenter desktop.

Dell GX620 Desktop
Dell 745 Desktop
IBM T43 laptop
IBM T60 Laptop

For all machines, all drivers installed automatically during the sysprep process.

I just wanted to share this as I think it is the best software I have seen, to enable you to create a hardware-independent master Image.

Once I have fully tested it, We will be using it along with Atliris.

Also we will no longer need over 300GB worth of image files! for various hardware! And the time wasted keeping them updated!!! icon_wink.gif

Regards,
Daniel

Comments

• Options
    Tyrant1919Tyrant1919 Member Posts: 519 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Windows Deployment Services seems to work just fine on multiple hardware platforms. I'm in the process of migrating from ghost to WDS, and so far I'm impressed. Already included with W2K3 SP2... the price is right.
    A+/N+/S+/L+/Svr+
    MCSA:03/08/12/16 MCSE:03s/EA08/Core Infra
    CCNA
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I'll certainly check it out.....I'm working on redoing every image we have at my place. With 3 desktops, and 5 laptops...that would be so nice to have just one with all drivers loaded....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Ricka182, have you had a chance to do any testing yet??? if you download the software i would use the download manager as when I did not use it I had a corrupt dat file.
  • Options
    Tyrant1919 wrote:
    Windows Deployment Services seems to work just fine on multiple hardware platforms. I'm in the process of migrating from ghost to WDS, and so far I'm impressed. Already included with W2K3 SP2... the price is right.

Is that RIS? but updated version?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yes, WDS is the successor to RIS.
  • Options
    Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I haven't been able to check it out. I was told no spending whatsoever, especially in IT. I'll take a look at the WDS, but as a contractor I'm limited to suggesting a change. I'm not sure my senior sys admin would let me play around or try it in any way. It looks like I'll keep using Ghost, and rebuilding all the images. I'm finishing one now, and it not as bad as the first, but still a PITA....
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • Options
    Tyrant1919 wrote:

With UIU you don't have to create the image on the hardware you are deploying to. I create a master image on a desktop and push the same image to a laptop or desktop, regardless of model.

Also only have to maintain at the most 1-2 images.

We have remote sites so imaging could be managed from one location.

Less time wasted updating a number of image files.

Saves space on the server, right now we have over 25 images which requires 300Gb of space on the server.

Helps images stay current and updated.

No need to maintain a driver database.

Also future new models should be able to use the same image as the UIU database is updated via the UIU website.

Just a few of the things I found while testing UIU, that I see would make it worth the money.

We are thinking of using it with Altiris too.....

D-boy