Options

FAILED XP today but not a FAILURE

ComputerLover1ComputerLover1 Member Posts: 71 ■■□□□□□□□□
I went in the testing center so very ready for this exam after studying for almost 4 months and it was not what I had expected . First of all it was 65 questions and the time was 2hrs 40 minutes . There were questions on the exam that I did not even recognize like switches and other parameters .

Alot on Security policies , Unattended Installs , A few on IP addressing , offline files and others my score was 564 I guess I underestimated the exam which is not reccomended . Will reschedule the retake . I felt so sad but at least I have the second shot from MS .

Can anyone tell me how to use the second shot voucher as I paid for three exams at once XP being one of them so that leaves me with two vouchers . I purchaed them before I even knew about the second shot .

The materials I used was skillsoft ,examcram , prep logic ,Thompson Technology , RU ready test engine and Microsoft E -learning . No brain **** as I dont use those but I dont know where I went wrong and I am very disappointed but third time is the charm . What should I do differently and how can I redeem the second shot voucher .

Best Regards ,
Computerlover1
Without struggles there can not be progress

Comments

• Options
    haftap00phaftap00p Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I think you have to use the voucher when you register for your tests. There is a section when registering that ask if you have a voucher ID I believe. Or the center I registered with did. I'm not sure if you could leverage that voucher after you have registered or not.

I know all about the failing. icon_sad.gif I failed my first trip to with a 677. It is certainly an easy exam to underestimate. I found the MS exams way different then CompTIA exams. The MS exams are tricky and you have to think about each question. And usually it's the weirdest sounding answer. CompTIA you just have to know your stuff, and they don't try and trick you with off the wall questions. I can think of 3 questions right off the top that I knew the answer to immediately just because of experience in the industry. But I was skeptical to choose the answer cause I was thinking. "Is that the answer they are looking for?"

I used Sybex text books to study from, and watched CBT's and used trancenders for a testing engine. In my opinion trancenders are good in some ways. But they are tougher then the actual exam. But the will definitely get you ready. You just won't see any questions on the actual exam that are comparable to what you see in transcenders. I think overall the Sybex books were the best. Some of the questions at the end of each chapter were almost identical to some of the exam questions. Worded differently of course. You'll get it the next trip though.
  • Options
    Thank you for the information and I am going to maybe checkout the Sybex and MS press books as I hear alot about those . I have a full copy of the trancender and I will use that this time around . The reason I did not use it before was because I felt that I needed to be challenged more on the various exam objectives and THANK YOU as you are right I will get it the next time .
  • Options
    ladyfoxladyfox Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hey

I took this exam today and passed (not a hugely high pass, but a pass!).

I think part of the problem is that there is such a diverse set of questions. I had questions on configuring faxes, striped/spanned disks, drivers, unattended installs, pretty much anything and everything. There is so much to know and i didnt know bits of it and i used to support XP users.

Definitely hit the books and practice tests and good luck for next time. Now you have seen the type of questions and variety i guess you can use that to see what areas you need more work and what areas you are already strong in to help you prepare for the next test?
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Yeah the 270 exam is pretty rough. I thought it the most difficult of all the Microsoft exams that I took. The style of the questions can really trip you up. Now you know what it is like though and you should be able to recover and come back to whomp it pretty swiftly! Just be sure to read and reread the questions AND answers to make sure you haven't missed any keywords like "not."
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Thank you ladyFox and congrads on your pass I have ordered the MS Press Books and a additional book tittled : XP Pro Fast Pass and you are right the test covers everything and every area so the next time I will be well prepared and report a PASS . But at least I see where I need to focus on and I will do just great I feel .
  • Options
    Undomiel you are so right and I read the questions and re-read them so many times and even tried the process of elimination but as the previous poster mentioned the tests can be tricky and I agree I will wait a bit and make sure I know XP inside and out . Some of the questions I knew right away from my studies and others I guess I missed because I never encountered them before and I work with XP as an IT Technician and I do have to set local security policies but some of the questions were weird to me and did not make any sence at all . So I am hoping to report a pass after my books are delivered and I get cracking .

Thank you all for your support and now I dont feel so bad about the test .
  • Options
    haftap00phaftap00p Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    On the bright side. When you rewrite you'll see about 30% of the same questions from the first time you wrote. So you will feel a bit more comfortable on the next write. :)

Personally I felt the hardest questions were security, ris and troubleshooting device drivers. I would have thought for myself that device drivers should be a breeze just cause we are all geeks here. and most of us live to break and fix our stuff. But there were some really tough questions about it.
  • Options
    haftap00p I agree with you totally but I am going to study more harder than I ever did and I pray that this time I can post on the site that I passed it .
  • Options
    someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
    Good luck man, I start the MCP class this Saturday. I'm actually looking forward for the class, I guess I'm motivated now lol.
  • Options
    Thank you Someeh

I went to amazon.com and purchased 2 books the MS Press and the Sybex Fast Past so they will be here soon . Same to you on the class as well as the test .
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Don't forget the Technotes on this site!
    http://www.techexams.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=540

Good luck, I know you will pass next time.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • Options
    Thank you Netadmin and I apologoze as I left out the most important site that I know of Techexams.net . Silly me how could I have forgoten .
  • Options
    jetfanjetfan Member Posts: 112 ■■■□□□□□□□
    research the areas that gave you problems, reschedule you're exam and kick butt, good luck.
  • Options
    Thank you Jetfan thats is exactly what I am doing as I type this note . Thank you again for the encouragement . Yes , I intend to kick major but that day .