Hey Mishra and Snadam!

How are you coming along on your studies? I'm scheduled to take this one on the 27th.

Comments

• MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I was going to take this one this week but I don't have power... Haven't had it since Sunday and won't get it until this upcoming Sunday. icon_sad.gif

So that means I haven't been able to do any more lab work which is important for this exam IMO. So probably the week after next I may be able to take it.

BTW Private Messaging is an option if you don't want to make an entire topic about this. lol
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
  • TechnowizTechnowiz Member Posts: 211
    That sucks that your power is out. I guess at least we are getting into some cooler weather so you probably aren't dying without the ac.

I'm planning to finish up most topics by this weekend and then spend most of next week on group policy. Feeling pretty good about this exam and looking forward to getting it out of the way.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I have some stuff Im trying to take care of (mainly a job). But once thats done, the plan is to get going on this thing! Yes, I AM slacking :P

PS: Its odd to find your name in a thread subject :)
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
    First day with power!!!! Horrray. This is a feat in of itself.

You may learn something!
    Well I pushed back my test from Saturday to Sunday to give myself an extra day to study. Spent Saturday studying and felt confident enough to go in first thing Sunday morning and take the test a couple hours early. Had 44 questions and the test terminated on question 32. Hate it when that happens! Got back in where it left off and finished it up. Wasn't sure if I got a good score but felt like I had probably at least passed.

Failed with a 681. icon_sad.gif

First Microsoft test I have failed on my MCSE track. The strange thing is I still feel I studied harder for this one than some of the others that I felt less confident about and passed. So frustrating to be thinking you're about to get that MCSE you've been working toward only to find out you didn't get it! But it will make it all the sweeter when I do. Going to hit the books hard this week and try to retest this weekend. Should get it this next time around. I was mostly worried about group policy but did alright on that part. My weakest area was objective 2.0.

I plan to nail it on the next test.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Unlucky technowiz! I can see how frustrating that would be after completing exam after exam and getting so close to the MCSE. Don't worry though 'cos I think you'll nail it next time. Good luck and let us know how you get on!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Sorry to hear that. Especially since you were so close to joining the 700 club and the MCSE club. Thats 2 clubs in a day!

What is objective 2.0? Am I missing something? lol

One of the exam centers here put up a weekend date for test scheduling so I jumped on that in a heart beat! I scheduled my test for this upcoming Saturday.

You may learn something!
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    good luck Mishra!!
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Sorry to hear that technowiz! Good luck on your retake though. The 294 is a surprisingly tough test, albeit a lot of it is toughing it out through boredom. Good luck to you as well Mishra! Snadam -- come on catch up! :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Objective 2.0 is Managing and Maintaining an Active Directory Infrastructure

Trusts, sites, site links, replication, etc.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Technowiz,
    Ah man, that sucks. So so close....I can imagine how bad you want that MCSE right now. You'll pass next time.

Good luck to you and Mishra.....and eventually snadam when he get's around to it (although, I shouldn't talk) icon_lol.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
    technowiz, bummer that it didnt work out. good thing for the 2nd shot!

and at the rate things are going, i might get that 294 done sooner than later...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

Hey, what books are you guys using?

I found that the MS Press book for 293 sucked, so that left a bad taste in my mouth. Just wondering if the MS Press book for the 294 is good enough or if I should just skip it and go with Syngress again.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I used the MS Press book along with Transcender for 294. I felt a little unprepared during the exam, but I made it through somehow.
    MSPress.

I started reading through Sybex but stopped as they didn't seem to cover all the areas they should.

You may learn something!
    i find mspress to be good. Right now I have the same materials as dynamik had. I MIGHT pick up the nuggets, or a secondary book, but who knows.

I'm using the MS press book as well as vmware on the laptop and meaureups. I didn't do many measureup practice exams and I have a pretty good idea of where I need to fill in the gaps now that I have seen the exam. I would say the MS press book is adequate. If you really know the material in that book you will do well. I know there are other books like the Syngress that go into more depth but at least for me too much information can become counterproductive. This week I'm going to go back through the book, watch CBT Nuggets on my weak areas and then do as many practice tests as I can to try to eliminate any remaining knowledge gaps.
    Technowiz wrote:
    I'm using the MS press book as well as vmware on the laptop and meaureups. I didn't do many measureup practice exams and I have a pretty good idea of where I need to fill in the gaps now that I have seen the exam. I would say the MS press book is adequate. If you really know the material in that book you will do well. I know there are other books like the Syngress that go into more depth but at least for me too much information can become counterproductive. This week I'm going to go back through the book, watch CBT Nuggets on my weak areas and then do as many practice tests as I can to try to eliminate any remaining knowledge gaps.

sounds like a great plan. I think youll wrap this one up 2nd go round!

So apparently I scheduled the wrong exam. I scheduled the 70-290 when I rescheduled the exam because I forgot to use the second shot. Oops.

Prometric is not really lienant on mistakes... They weren't going to refund my exam. But after sitting on the phone for an hour trying to tell them I couldn't reschedule, I guess she felt sorry for me and went ahead and gave me a free exam.

So I will have to squeeze another time to take this exam during the week. icon_sad.gif

But I learned 1 test center has an exam day the first saturday of every month. I think I might try to stick to their schedule and take an exam every 1-2 months.

You may learn something!
    Sorry to hear about the troubles mishra. I guess at least it gives you a bit more study time.

Retook the exam this morning and passed with a 815. Now that's more like it! I am now a MCSE. :D
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Technowiz wrote:
    Retook the exam this morning and passed with a 815. Now that's more like it! I am now a MCSE. :D

Nice job, Congratulations!

What's up next?
    I'm not really sure yet. I have a free elearning course from Microsoft on ISA so thinking about taking the 70-350 or 351. I also have CCNA on my list, Exchange, and Linux. I'm undecided on what path to take from here.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations on your MCSE Technowiz! Feels good doesn't it. :)
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    congrats!

You may learn something!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on the pass and the MCSE Technowiz!
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
    Congrats Technowiz
    Thanks! Oh and I want to take back what I said about the MS Press book. You can pass with it but it doesn't cover everything you might see on the exam. I can think of at least one question I got that I went back and looked in the book and it wasn't covered.

Read up on inetorgperson...
    How's it going Mishra? Did you get your exam rescheduled?
    Not yet. ^_^ No good dates available.

It's tough for me to schedule my exam around work.

You may learn something!
    Technowiz wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the troubles mishra. I guess at least it gives you a bit more study time.

congrats!!! Man, I had pretty much a month to take this and I slacked off icon_sad.gif Meh, I did catch a delicious bass though :D

im glad you nailed it. I start my new job this upcoming Monday, so we will see how that goes before I take an exam.