Pre-configured user profile

MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
Created a user profile to be used as the default user profile, copied the profile to \\dc\netlogon\default user, gave permitted to use to everybody. Signed on as a new user, pre-configured profile is applied except for wallpaper, is there something that prevents the wallpaper
from being applied?

Comments

• astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mikdilly wrote:
    Created a user profile to be used as the default user profile, copied the profile to \\dc\netlogon\default user, gave permitted to use to everybody. Signed on as a new user, pre-configured profile is applied except for wallpaper, is there something that prevents the wallpaper
    from being applied?
    Is it a custom wallpaper? Does the user have the appropriate permissions to read the file?
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Make sure the path to the wallpaper is correct as well.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    It's a .bmp that was created in Paint, even if I use an existing wallpaper from the list it still doesn't apply it when a new user logs in. I came across this whole scenario from a question in Transcender that says you can create a pre-configured default user profile that can be copied to a shared folder on a server as in \\server\profile. You then configure all of the user accts profile paths in Active Dir to that share. After configuring a user acct on a workstation and logging on as admin you can then use the Copy To option to copy the profile to that share. The profile copies to the share but it never applies the profile to new users logging on. The only way I got the profile to apply minus the wallpaper was to delete everything in the default user folder and copy the profile to \\dc\netlogon\default user. Don't want this as it applies to every computer in the domain including servers.
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, I have tested that one day. It doesn't apply. Sometimes, the wallpaper doesn't apply but it gets the right wallpaper. You can verify this by going to the wallpaper section, and you'll see that the wallpaper is highlight but doesn't appear. If you click to apply now, it will be apply.
    There's another way I know how to create preconfigured user profile. (\\server\sysvol\domainname\scripts\default user.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290
  • MikdillyMikdilly Member Posts: 309
    I got the shared roaming profile to apply only after giving the user local admin rights. Is that how it should be? Should you really need admin rights to apply a profile? Also came across another problem with server 2003 which may or not have something to do with applying the roaming profile. On the shared folder that holds the profile on the server the folder is read-only or as what I found out on the internet in tri-mode. Accessing the folder locally on the server, Explorer shows the read only attribute checked off in gray, you can uncheck read only and select the option to apply the changes to all sub-folders. When you click Ok and then go back into properties of the folder, read only is checked off again. The supposed fix is to use a command prompt and do attrib -r /s /d c:\folder_name.
    Even doing this doesn't remove read only from the folder in Explorer. Still can't get read only off of this shared folder which I think creates a problem when I try to do the User Profile - Copy To function on the workstation signed on as domain admin with local admin rights, when I try to do the Permitted to Use and specify Everyone (Everyone group has full control share permission) it comes back and says all contents of the shared folder will be deleted, click Ok to that and it then comes back with 'Unable to delete the contents of the shared folder' which I would think is caused by the read only attribute on the folder. If I do the Copy to without the Permitted to use option the profile does get copied to the shared folder.
  • TontonsamTontonsam Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to look in the NTFS Permission of the folder. You have to set proper permission Share/NTFS in order to use it via network. But according to your wallpaper issue, in the CBT videos, they said that is logic cause in their videos, they don't have also the wallpaper configured.
    MCP 70-270 / 70-290