Options

CCENT - passed

errorkenerrorken Member Posts: 21 ■□□□□□□□□□
Passed my CCENT today with 925/1000. My two cents:

Background:
I'm a java developer, I have no professional network experience.
Before this I never touched an actual cisco device (besides using a voip phone :) )
But I have to admit that due to personal interests I allready have broad network knowledge (at least on a basic level)

Study material:
CISCO press (odom) - ICND1
Boson exam sim which was included with the books
This forum, so a big thanks to everyone on this forum :)
Internet / CISCO website for commands and deeper understanding

Hardware:
I borrowed a 1720 and 2621 from a friend.
Later on I discovered GNS here, so I also used that with 26XX and 7200 IOS. Especially to test SDM since I cannot use it with the 2621/1720.

Time:
I read the book completely in july/august, then gave it a rest.
Then I started the actual preparation two weeks ago.

Exam:
I felt it was very easy. Also got plenty of time left.
I got one very weird question of which nothing is mentioned in the ICND1 material whatsoever, but the exam warned that there could be experimental questions, so I guess thats one of them.

I think ICND2 is going to be harder :)
(but I hope not)

Comments

• Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    congrats on the pass icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Good Job! I must say I am feeling more confident once I read that post, I have my CCENT booked for october 1st.
  • Options
    Thanks all, and good luck JavonR
  • Options
    fjhesqfjhesq Member Posts: 90 ■■□□□□□□□□
    How long did you acctually prepare, 2 weeks? I'm thinking about taking a stab at it the first of October. I've read the book and gone thru the CBT Nuggets a few times. Would you say subnetting.com are scenarios you faced on the exam?
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Gratz Errorken!!!! Thank you for the information. 11 days until my CCENT!!!
  • Options
    dazerskidazerski Member Posts: 106 ■■■□□□□□□□
    JavonR wrote:
    Good Job! I must say I am feeling more confident once I read that post, I have my CCENT booked for october 1st.

I'll be going 1 day before you... I'll let you know how mine was :) at least we qualify for the 2nd chance offer!
  • Options
    shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    congrats on the pass!!
  • Options
    mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    Congratulations, and welcome to the dark side. Just put the compiler down, and step over here to the router. . . oneofusoneofusoneofusoneofusoneofus. . . icon_lol.gif

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    Ow yeah, something I forgot, I also watched the 'CBT nuggets' video's.

The CBT theory I skipped, since I feel that the book is more complete and the extra time for reading it is not that big. The book also gives nice questions for each chapter, pays attention to the 'really' important parts and has nice summaries to test yourself. So I only used the book for that. I started with the CBT subnetting part, but after some time I did it on my own way. I just do it the raw way, without special rules or tricks.

So I basically just watched the lab video's. I find them really helpful.
    Especially if you're new to routers and switches.
    I watched them before I got any hardware to play with, and it really helps you to get an higher view how everything works. If you have to read that in a book its prettty abstract and its a bit scary to get started. Even with hardware, it was always interesting to hear why the commands were used that way (its also in the book, but its harder to understand/read)
    fjhesq wrote:
    How long did you acctually prepare, 2 weeks? I'm thinking about taking a stab at it the first of October. I've read the book and gone thru the CBT Nuggets a few times. Would you say subnetting.com are scenarios you faced on the exam?

Two weeks, yes. For theory, I don't think CBT is enough, but that probably depends on your background.
  • Options
    AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
    Wow that's dedication! I wish I could accomplish my goals with that ease.

Congratulations.
    XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%