Options

gaining 'real' world experience

hi all,

im currently at university and in my last year and i recently passed the CCENT certification, ive been trying to get some part time work in local companies but not having any luck at all. They either say there not looking for people or that i wont be covered on there insurance. I have said that i would work voluntary.

Ive emailed alot of companies and sent my c.v. to alot aswell. Just wondered if anybody is in the same situation or knows are a different approach that i could use to help me gain the experience that i need.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    KGhaleonKGhaleon Member Posts: 1,346 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You really should get your CCNA.
    Present goals: MCAS, MCSA, 70-680
  • Options
    BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you talked about this with anyone at your university and explored any internship opportunities? Schools often partnership with local colleges so you should look into this.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • Options
    hodgey87hodgey87 Member Posts: 232
    BeaverC32 wrote:
    Have you talked about this with anyone at your university and explored any internship opportunities? Schools often partnership with local colleges so you should look into this.

hi

thanks for that ive thought about contacting the local schools do you think i would stand any chance of getting some work there
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Trick is not to think you will be walking into a senior role right off the bat. The degree gives you the ability to climb a lot faster than those who don't have one.

Best thing I did when leaving uni is getting a helpdesk job in the local hospital. Learned so much and relationship skills with the users are still hugely usefull to this day.

Start at the bottom and cut your teeth and the degree will help you climb fast.

GOLDEN RULE OF IT
    2-3 years of bums on seat experience in the field and you should be set for life.
    Kam.